Sponsored

Threw a main bearing @2300miles

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Bummer about your engine, hood, and the loss of track time. I'm bumping up the install of my tow hook on my priority list.
Hope you get your car back in great running shape soon!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MulhollandMonster

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Bummer about your engine, hood, and the loss of track time. I'm bumping up the install of my tow hook on my priority list.
Hope you get your car back in great running shape soon!
Never had to be towed off track before, so I didn't imagine statistical need was high (especially with 2300 miles under the hood).

Wise move. Would have saved me the cost of hood (I haven't even ascertained theoretical undercarriage or other damage due to the front lift method used to tow). Still trying to understand why the flatbed guy called in the old school tow truck. Knew that wasn't a good idea...Of course their policies prevented me from being outside the car on track, so I went from my car to the cockpit of the tow truck...so, I was completely blind to their incompetence until it was too late.

Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Kindly remind the service tech to clean out the oil cooler and oil lines to ensure metal bits don't contaminate your new engine.

OP
OP
MulhollandMonster

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Kindly remind the service tech to clean out the oil cooler and oil lines to ensure metal bits don't contaminate your new engine.
Long block not included? Thought it would. I'll be aware.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Long block not included? Thought it would. I'll be aware.
Long block does not include any accessories, lines or hoses. They will use the stuff from the bad engine.

Sponsored

wrh3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I know it's not the same but when the motor in my Viper was replaced, the oil cooler and lines were replaced too.....I wouldn't think there is a perfect way to clean all metal out of the oil cooling system?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I know it's not the same but when the motor in my Viper was replaced, the oil cooler and lines were replaced too.....I wouldn't think there is a perfect way to clean all metal out of the oil cooling system?
Oil filter maan. Oil filter ; )

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
May I ask who the engine builders were? Sorry to hear about the situation. You are taking it very well. Most would be crying a sob story.
I think it may be better if we don't start trying to match up engine builders with any occurrences, as we don't know if they're actually responsible for anything and it discourages manufacturers from offering these little touches in the build for the sake of avoiding potential finger-pointing.

Mulholland, keep us posted - we're there in spirit.

OP
OP
MulhollandMonster

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think it may be better if we don't start trying to match up engine builders with any occurrences, as we don't know if they're actually responsible for anything and it discourages manufacturers from offering these little touches in the build for the sake of avoiding potential finger-pointing.

Mulholland, keep us posted - we're there in spirit.
Who the builders are is a data point. How do you spin a main bearing without a mistake in the build? I suppose a bearing defect is possible? Lots of easy ways to F up in the assembly...One wrong torque and you have a grenade waiting to happen...Who was turning the wrench may not tell the whole story, but it is in the story.

From my perspective, I broke the car in to 1000, and rarely hit redline after. Oil change at 800 miles. One track day, in the rain...second session out...Definitely not abuse by owner.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Who the builders are is a data point. How do you spin a main bearing without a mistake in the build? I suppose a bearing defect is possible? Lots of easy ways to F up in the assembly...One wrong torque and you have a grenade waiting to happen...Who was turning the wrench may not tell the whole story, but it is in the story.

From my perspective, I broke the car in to 1000, and rarely hit redline after. Oil change at 800 miles. One track day, in the rain...second session out...Definitely not abuse by owner.
I agree that it is a data point but what will it tell you? I had two bad engine one car different builders two different problems. There are two many variables in an engine build to infer that the cause was from the builders. Ford never release to me the cause of the failure to the engines. Unless you rebuild or have a shop rebuild the engine, we are left in the dark.

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Who the builders are is a data point. How do you spin a main bearing without a mistake in the build? I suppose a bearing defect is possible? Lots of easy ways to F up in the assembly...One wrong torque and you have a grenade waiting to happen...Who was turning the wrench may not tell the whole story, but it is in the story..............

I agree.... it is certainly a major factor.

Too Little Rod Bearing Clearance = Failure!
An obvious one here is not properly checking the bearing clearance. The builder(s) might think that a crank checks at standard specs-if it is checked at all-and figures the clearance is good. The worst thing to do on a race engine is have the bearings too tight, especially on a higher rpm engine, especially on the rods. When you spin them up the rod gets a little bit stretched and the big end pinches the bearing or it doesn’t get enough oil to keep it cool enough, and the bearing fails.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

An obvious one here is not properly checking the bearing clearance. The builder(s) might think that a crank checks at standard specs-if it is checked at all-and figures the clearance is good. The worst thing to do on a race engine is have the bearings too tight, especially on a higher rpm engine, especially on the rods. When you spin them up the rod gets a little bit stretched and the big end pinches the bearing or it doesn’t get enough oil to keep it cool enough, and the bearing fails.
And that is the problem with mass manufacture. A stacking of tolerances and just slapping parts together. A good build would verify said tolerances and that would be up to the build team. I don't know Fords procedures or practices, but this motor spins way too high to just slap it together.

OP
OP
MulhollandMonster

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Well, this was a main bearing failure, or at least according to the techs. Still haven't heard the oil pump eliminated as the origination point. They just said "main bearing" was the culprit. I would assume similar causes (rod bearing v main bearing) would be at play.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Well, this was a main bearing failure, or at least according to the techs. Still haven't heard the oil pump eliminated as the origination point. They just said "main bearing" was the culprit. I would assume similar causes (rod bearing v main bearing) would be at play.
Did they actually drop the bottom? I am surprised if they did. Me and the tech came to the conclusion that my failed motor also suffered a failed bearing. Unfortunately I will never know for sure.

OP
OP
MulhollandMonster

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Did they actually drop the bottom? I am surprised if they did. Me and the tech came to the conclusion that my failed motor also suffered a failed bearing. Unfortunately I will never know for sure.
Didn't get concise validation of that. Said they found metal, so I'm assuming they inspected the oil pan.
Sponsored