Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Sad. Chicago used to be my favorite big city to visit by far. I haven't been there in over 10 years, and now wouldn't dare to go to some (most?) of the places I went back then.

The powers that be are definitely not helping the situation, and I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I am just sick of it all and it maybe time to start looking to relocate.....
I gotta aslk, being from S.W. Michigan and having spent my time in Chicago.....

Why???

Why have you stayed there to this point?

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP, 2014 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
I gotta aslk, being from S.W. Michigan and having spent my time in Chicago.....

Why???

Why have you stayed there to this point?
Well to be honest, I do have a Great Job, that pays me a decent salary and my entire family is here and my mom depends on me for help.

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sad. Chicago used to be my favorite big city to visit by far. I haven't been there in over 10 years, and now wouldn't dare to go to some (most?) of the places I went back then.

The powers that be are definitely not helping the situation, and I'll leave it at that.
Yeah its truly sad to see but hopefully things can get better

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes I couldn't agree more. I see your from Myrtle Beach. I am thinking about bringing my car there for Mustang Week this year. I hope all is well there in your neck of the woods.
For years Myrtle Beach was know as "Dirty Myrtle" for it less than spectacular crime rate. I've been here for 4 years now and I find it pretty good. Now would I walk down Ocean Ave. at 2:00AM? Probably not. But this is a vacation spot and that brings in a lot of shall we say, unsavory folks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Well to be honest, I do have a Great Job, that pays me a decent salary and my entire family is here and my mom depends on me for help.
Not knowing what you do, I'd highly suggest you, your Mom, and family, GTFO of that shit hole.

There are such better ways to live. If you haven't lived anywhere else, it's tough to really grasp the truth of that.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I guess my biggest question is are other large cities like Chicago experiencing this as well.
Well, the closest metropolitan area to me is Minneapolis, and things haven't been rosy there either lately....

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For most it is likely because we don't live in the thick of the daily violence, but to OP's point, danger is by far more widespread now. Best is to mind your business and don't look at anyone funny. The problem is, you don't have to look for trouble, it finds you.
Well stated.

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I too have looked at places for relocation. TN is looking like a top pick for me, various reasons like extremely low property taxes, no state income tax, TN is beautiful. Winters are more mild than here.
Funny that you mentioned TN. My wife was just telling me about Chattanooga TN. We maybe planning a little weekend getaway there in August.

Sponsored

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
I've driven through Chattanooga and it looks beautiful. We're looking at visiting Gatlinburg soon.
You'll love Gatlinburg! My daughter and her family live in Pigeon Forge, and we visit as often as possible (sadly now, not often at all). Plus, "Tail of the Dragon" is nearby!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Live in Chicago and burbs for my whole 42 years of life.
I used to be proud to say I'm from this beautiful city.
Now I avoid the city and can't wait for the day to move out of Illinois.
I carry anytime I go into the city for work or dinner and I had 1 incident where I almost had to pull it out late at night in a parking garage.
I pull surveillance video for the police on a regular basis so I see a lot of what's happening.
The city is run by a huge piece of shit mayor and many of the positions in the city are totally corrupt.
It will be the next Detroit very soon.
Unfortunately

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Live in Chicago and burbs for my whole 42 years of life.
I used to be proud to say I'm from this beautiful city.
Now I avoid the city and can't wait for the day to move out of Illinois.
I carry anytime I go into the city for work or dinner and I had 1 incident where I almost had to pull it out late at night in a parking garage.
I pull surveillance video for the police on a regular basis so I see a lot of what's happening.
The city is run by a huge piece of shit mayor and many of the positions in the city are totally corrupt.
It will be the next Detroit very soon.
Unfortunately
I understand how you feel but I don't think you can solely blame this on the mayor. These problems didn't just start under her watch. That is why I asked the question about other major cities. It seems to me that this happening on a much larger scale in our country. This is just my opinion. I didn't mean to offend anyone. We all have different views and opinions and to me that's what makes this country so great.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It did happen on her watch!
She let the city burn multiple times and did nothing.
People now have no respect for the police and this is exactly why you see so much more crime and shootings.

OP
OP
Roy_Steeda

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It did happen on her watch!
She let the city burn multiple times and did nothing.
People now have no respect for the police and this is exactly why you see so much more crime and shootings.
I guess my question for you is what would you have done if you were in her position. I mean this happen in other cities at the same time so it wasn't an isolated incident. But lets just agree to disagree.
Sponsored