Sponsored

This should infuriate every single Mustang Convertible owner!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
No trunk space... and I read on a forum (don't know if true), that if you lower the top while driving, the wind can kick around papers or other small items you have in the trunk and they fly out. Not sure who would have papers in the trunk... but there you go.
I'd rather have to twist the latch and not have a remote that lowers the top than give up my trunk space or have to rearrange trunk contents just to lower the top...
A year and a half in with my no-stop droptop and I can testify that I rarely have to adjust things in my trunk (usually groceries that fall over and displace the divider screen) and i have never had anything blow away while raising or lowering the top. I often have loose detail microfiber cloths in my trunk. Nothing resembling paper, though, and I can’t imagine ever needing to have loose paper in my trunk.

This feature is awesome for making short unplanned stops and not having to think about risking leaving the top down or going through the “hassle” of raising it for a few minutes, then putting it back down. Raise it as I am pulling in to park, lower it with the remote as I am approaching.

I’ve also had two situations (both on the same stretch of 401 in Ontario) where I’ve had to quickly react to unexpected rain. Slow down, close top, smash the go-pedal.
Sponsored

MexicanBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Craparo forums are over there...

My roof takes 8 seconds to raise/lower

That’s much less of an inconvenience than a roof in the boot

I know because my daily driver is a hardtop convertible where the roof folds into the boot

The mustang is way better

I can have the boot full of shit and do what I please with he roof

The other car I often have to raise the roof to get stuff out of the boot

Deleted member 35644

I work in the legal industry, so my mind is always spinning worst-case scenarios. My best friend had a 1996 Firebird, and the "lock" button on his remote would set off the panic alarm on his friend's S-10. Just imagine the scenario of an errant remote signal opening your roof during a thunderstorm.

I think I feel better knowing my roof can't possibly open unless I get in the car and unlatch it.

But, I do wish they'd program my car to raise the windows with the remote, since the remote can lower them.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
This does not infuriate me. Having to pay CDN$2,000 for the premium interior so that I could get a heated wheel on the "Premium" line annoys me plenty, especially on a convertible. That also included the navigation which I didn't really want (who needs it with Android Auto/Apple Car Play and Google Maps on your phone?). I felt somewhat better when I found that the Camaro requires a ~CDN$3,200 package to get the heated wheel! And I'd much rather have my adaptive cruise control (apparently not available on Camaro) than be able to lower the top with the fob.

OP
OP
JohnDoe

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Thank god I was stuck in VERY slow moving traffic on the highway yesterday when a surprise storm decided to pour down on me. Was able to get to the right lane next to an onramp with cars merging so I stopped and pretended I was letting someone in just so I can raise my peasant ass top at 1mph

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The other fun fact is that you can raise and lower the top up to 31 mph.
That's a bigger perk to me than the remote top operation. I had an S2K, that had a simple "hack" (switching a wire in an easy accessible harness) that bypassed the top speed/movement/MPH requirement - however, it left the e-brake needing to be up, so there was still an extra safety element (you could click up a couple on the e-brake and put it up while rolling, but it still needed that extra step).

I really dislike having to be at a full stop, heck, even 5-10 MPH would be a huge help - like someone pointed out in an old thread [of the same topic], many of have operated the top while experiencing high winds with zero issues, so it's not like it's really a design issue - I think it's purely a legal decision.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Thank god I was stuck in VERY slow moving traffic on the highway yesterday when a surprise storm decided to pour down on me. Was able to get to the right lane next to an onramp with cars merging so I stopped and pretended I was letting someone in just so I can raise my peasant ass top at 1mph
Sounds like you are ready to move on...

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I really dislike having to be at a full stop, heck, even 5-10 MPH would be a huge help - like someone pointed out in an old thread [of the same topic], many of have operated the top while experiencing high winds with zero issues, so it's not like it's really a design issue - I think it's purely a legal decision.
My new car will lower/raise the top at 10 mph... not really that helpful, to be honest. 31 mph or even 25 would be much better.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The Camaro loses half it's trunk with the top down. I will stick with the Mustang, even though it lacks some features.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The Camaro loses half it's trunk with the top down. I will stick with the Mustang, even though it lacks some features.
Yeah, that's definitely a downside for me (regardless of others not viewing this as a deficit ...) I like not having to plan around the top position. Toss some bags in for a long weekend getaway and decide you want to cruise with the top down? No problem in a Mustang. Other cars may be a no-can-do.

The top functionality - Mustang vs. Camaro - breaks down like this:

Camaro Pros
Remote top down
Operates at up to 31mph
Integrated tonneau cover

Mustang Pros
No trunk space decrease with top down
No additional "configuration" for top operation (i.e., having a divider in place)
Faster Operation

You know, no other pros or cons withstanding regarding the general design (like the Camaro having a small trunk opening)

While these are factual points, it's still very subjective in how important X is for vs. Y. :)

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
CAMARO HAS HAD THIS FEATURE SINCE 2016! 2016!!!!!!

I could give a rat's ass about brand loyalty, I am a convertible lover, and if I wasn't getting a Wrangler for my future car, then the Camaro would have been next.

It's always been a dream of mine to walk up to my convertible as she takes her top off all on her own like a boss.

Best we could do for now is lower all of our peasant ass windows with our peasant ass remotes and that's it. Oh yeah, we still have to turn our manual latch like some poor laborer

/rant over
Good luck with the wrangler if you are getting the new JL, looks like it has a ton of issues...welding issues on the frame to back up cameras not working and all sorts of other FCA easter eggs
Sponsored