HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It didn't really say why they cost $10k just why they cost more than vinyl (duh!). To explain the cost, it would have been better if they described all the extra work to put painted stripes on after the car is fully (or almost) built and mention the "costs" from greatly increasing the time between when it starts on the assembly line and when it can be shipped. Would not be surprised if it was 5 or more times as long.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
HD: I agree there wasn't much information but I sure hope your guess isn't the case. I've done some vehicle painting in my youth and know how labor-intensive it can be. Add the fact that Penske is only painting part of the car, me thinks the workload is even higher than it would be for a full paint job.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The cars I saw at Dream Cruise - the stripes looked good but you COULD definitely see a faint line where the painted stripe was cleared over..which is just the edge of the stripe. It’s certainly not like the vinyl stripes but I wanted to mention it just Incase production cars are like this as well...as some might expect a show-car stripe with absolutely zero edge to it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The cars I saw at Dream Cruise - the stripes looked good but you COULD definitely see a faint line where the painted stripe was cleared over..which is just the edge of the stripe. It’s certainly not like the vinyl stripes but I wanted to mention it just Incase production cars are like this as well...as some might expect a show-car stripe with absolutely zero edge to it.
The edge will definitely be feelable (tm) and visible with the right light angle. The stripe will be higher than the rest by the thickness of the stripe paint. The edges will be rounded due to the clear flowing around them. So not very noticable.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
The edge will definitely be feelable
HD: That is semi-sad news as I was hoping Penske would lay down multiple clear coats and buffing to eliminate "the edge."

On the plus side, they'll stay perfect for the life of the vehicle and, we won't have to use a plastic razor blade to get the compounds OFF "the edge" like we've been doing for years.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
HD: That is semi-sad news as I was hoping Penske would lay down multiple clear coats and buffing to eliminate "the edge."
We can hope. I guess with $10k to play with, maybe they do that. Sounds tricky. Has anyone in the forum laid hands on one?

On the plus side, they'll stay perfect for the life of the vehicle and, we won't have to use a plastic razor blade to get the compounds OFF "the edge" like we've been doing for years.
One reason why I did it.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Aftermarket paint seems more viable if you want painted on.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Aftermarket paint seems more viable if you want painted on.
Definitely, if you want a color there is no vinyl for or want to spend 20%-35% as much. But it seems many people ordering the $10k stripes like the idea they were "factory". Whoever buys it from them, are likely to feel the same and be willing to pay a premium for them.

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Definitely, if you want a color there is no vinyl for or want to spend 20%-35% as much. But it seems many people ordering the $10k stripes like the idea they were "factory". Whoever buys it from them, are likely to feel the same and be willing to pay a premium for them.
I'm willing to bet most won't care if painted stripes are factory or aftermarket. You have to be in the deep know to care about difference. I doubt there is any real money return for factory.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm willing to bet most won't care if painted stripes are factory or aftermarket. You have to be in the deep know to care about difference. I doubt there is any real money return for factory.
What makes that an unknown to me is the fact that I haven't seen threads about painted stripes on GT350s and only a couple for GTs and none for ecos or V6s. Maybe they are here but I just missed them. I paid ~$2k, another I am aware of paid ~$1500 so if there is such a demand for painted stripes on GT500s at a much higher cost, you would think there would be as much or more demand for aftermarket painted stripes on all the other models. Don't understand why there isn't.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I doubt there is any real money return for factory.
RJ: That may very well be true. For me the difference is...if Penske's crew messes one up, it won't go to a customer. However, simply having a body shop or custom paint shop do the work induces many unknowns such as proper facilities, talented body men, and of course, if that outfit messes up, it's a whole different situation. From the photos I've seen of the painted stripes, they look outstanding compared to vinyl.

I collected eleven shots of both painted and vinyl and for me, the clear winner is painted.

They're posted starting with this image.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What makes that an unknown to me is the fact that I haven't seen threads about painted stripes on GT350s and only a couple for GTs and none for ecos or V6s. Maybe they are here but I just missed them. I paid ~$2k, another I am aware of paid ~$1500 so if there is such a demand for painted stripes on GT500s at a much higher cost, you would think there would be as much or more demand for aftermarket painted stripes on all the other models. Don't understand why there isn't.
Very good points. I almost did painted stripes on my 2008 Shelby GT as water spots destroyed it.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
RJ: That may very well be true. For me the difference is...if Penske's crew messes one up, it won't go to a customer. However, simply having a body shop or custom paint shop do the work induces many unknowns such as proper facilities, talented body men, and of course, if that outfit messes up, it's a whole different situation. From the photos I've seen of the painted stripes, they look outstanding compared to vinyl.

I collected eleven shots of both painted and vinyl and for me, the clear winner is painted.

They're posted starting with this image.
Thanks. No doubt, the looks win every time. Would be interesting to see what value it holds and if I can get the same value for just painting aftermarket. IMO the (10K) value will be lost in the used market.
Sponsored