You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Me TOO, HD! I am beyond tired of vinyl stripes.

Now if we could only find someone who has filmed the Penske Process. I'd pay a fair chunk of change to watch one.
This will be my first car with stripes of any kind. I have already lined up a deal to have paint protection film installed. I am going to do A pillars forward, bottom of doors/rocker panels, first 7" of roofline, in front of & behind rear tires, door handle pockets, and top of rear bumper done. I am toying with having whole roof done as opposed to just first 7" and trunk lid so the vinyl stripes will be 100% covered, this will protect them and prevent lifting and wax build up.
Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
In the article it says the stripes are under “the” clear coat.

Is this just a grammatical error or are the stripes put in over the last paint coat before any clear is sprayed?

If the second option is the case the amount of “step” should be almost undetectable because the paint layer is very thing compared to the thickness of the clear.

Also the clear could be hand sprayed, witch would make it way thicker than normal static sprayed clear.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
RJ: That may very well be true. For me the difference is...if Penske's crew messes one up, it won't go to a customer. However, simply having a body shop or custom paint shop do the work induces many unknowns such as proper facilities, talented body men, and of course, if that outfit messes up, it's a whole different situation.
Yes, you may pay a lot less by arranging your own painted stripes but lots due diligence expenses, etc. and still risks such as the shop breaking the clear anywhere on a bumper, hood, roof, trunk while scuffing it so stripes can be painted over. Break the clear and the color on the panel has to be repainted. I would hate that at least as much as I like painted stripes. I ended up with a pin hole sized rock chip near a stripe on my hood preserved in the new clear because I did not see it when I looked for any such issues with what I thought was a microscopic obsession. You have to be laying on the hood to see it but.... LoL
Sponsored