This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Does anybody know what's the deal with the exhaust tips? Are they retrofittable to the AE exhaust on Bullitts and other GTs? Or are they welded into the mufflers? I assume the Mach1 has AE standard, right??? Thx.
Not sure about the performance pack Mach 1 but the standard one didn't have active exhaust. I'll try to get more pics of the gray one tomorrow if I can spot it again and see what exhaust it has.
20200618_144024.jpg
Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Remember the original reason for the shaker was so that with a lopey cam it could idle without rattling and receiving fresh air directly into the carburetor which sat on top of the engine.

The early serious drag cars from Ford had holes cut in the grill for more direct cold air. Just like the Thunderbolts and Galaxies.

Do you think that is the purpose of the black circles in the grill? If removable it makes a lot more sense than a 30 pound shaker that leaked rain water all over the engine. (at least on my '70 CJ Torino it did).

And, if removable, I wonder what it would look like?
Not sure if they are removable but I bet a dremel tool would do it.
20200618_143852.jpg

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I have been too busy to post any pictures. The Mach 1 is gorgeous. They managed to get a couple of parade laps at Hallett yesterday, but the rains curtailed much of the good runs.They had three GT500s out there for display also, and the Twister Orange GT500 was running on the track Friday. Usually eating a friend's dust. He has a GT350R. He is also the track head instructor. Too many fabulous cars are brought to the track, but lack a driver willing to run on the edge. They took a few promo pictures of the Mach 1 on Friday, despite the rain. Some were with Jim Wicks' 1970 Mach 1 Twister and a white SN95 Mach 1, in the winners circle. You can see some of the Twister in the background of the pictures posted earlier.
IMG_3634.jpeg

GT500s at Thursday night cruise.

IMG_3656.jpeg

The next day at Hallett

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'll try to get more pics of the gray one tomorrow if I can spot it again and see what exhaust it has.
Thanks a lot brother; looking forward to your findings :). Surprised the base Mach1 doesn't have AE. The tips look MUCH better than our AE's (well, we have no tips; it's just the tubing out of the muffler)... although they look very similar to a run-of-the-mill Magnaflow muffler :D.

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a highres pic of the grille. The circles and the part next to it on the outer side have a tiny pattern but are blocked, besides the ring around the circle that seems to let air flow through it.
mach1grille.jpg

Of course they could have added new hood scoops or a shaker hood. But have in mind that things like these would increase the price drastically while adding absolutely no function. Style over substance is not something a performance car should go for imho.
Well a ram air scoop hood with a diverter to the open CAI would have some function at least?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if a gloss black or Satin GT/CS pedestal would have been better for the base Mach 1? looks like the base GT spoiler

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
How does a Mach 1 not come with AE as a standard? I am sure you are paying a pretty penny for the car. What about magneride?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Thanks a lot brother; looking forward to your findings :). Surprised the base Mach1 doesn't have AE. The tips look MUCH better than our AE's (well, we have no tips; it's just the tubing out of the muffler)... although they look very similar to a run-of-the-mill Magnaflow muffler :D.
According to Car and Driver it gets new 4.5” exhaust tips.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Back on track of what the "original" Mach 1 was. Engine options were 351, 390 and 428. The 390 and 428 were FE designs from the late '50s. Refined in the 427/428CJ. The 351 was either the Windsor (small block style heads) or the 351 Cleveland (canted valve heads, modern design after the Boss 302).
So, the idea of the Mach 1 being a top of the line Mustang was not true to its original intent which was to have a cool looking Mustang with a decent engine, though not necessarily a super hot rod. Since Ford only has the 2 Mustang engines: 5.0 and Ecoboost 2.3. Logically you should be able to get either in my thinking.

So, the "off the shelf" idea was the original idea. Off the shelf parts as the 428 CJ came out in 1968, before the Mach 1 in 1969.
Ford made a "cobra" in 1969 on the Fairlane/Torino platform. Only way to get that was the 428 CJ. And, you could get it in a fastback or hardtop. My buddy bought one 50 years ago in Forest green, hardtop. Bench seats. Lightweight and fast!

No, the Mach 1, was an "off the shelf" car. It sold good and has a wonderful history. Never the ultimate.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
I see all the back and forth over the specs and the looks and its connection to the heritage of the earlier mach 1 models. (Good, it's a discussion forum after all there is still allowed to be more than 1 opinion here right? We haven't canceled debate here yet have we?).

As a casual I have to weigh in that this car looks AWESOME. I love what Ford did here and am glad we have yet another special model before this gen bows out. 480 hp is pretty sweet. Sure I wish it was 500 but you know how that goes. Gotta leave room for next time. As for the looks the wheels, wing, stripes and mach 1 logos all.look excellent. I LOVE the mach 1 in the hood. I'm also ok with no shaker. Both the base model and extra package model look very good. Theres always something about their car versions that bothers me but not this one. They nailed it imo. Can't wait to see one in person.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Something tells me that if they didn't come out with a Bullitt, the Mach 1 would be much better received. Between a power bump or upgrading the transmission, it seems like the latter was the correct decision. Maybe they could've used an NA GT500 engine, but honestly 480hp is more than enough for this platform.

I'm not worried about no shaker either. It wouldn't look good on this platform and the performance benefits are non-existent.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Something tells me that if they didn't come out with a Bullitt, the Mach 1 would be much better received. Between a power bump or upgrading the transmission, it seems like the latter was the correct decision. Maybe they could've used an NA GT500 engine, but honestly 480hp is more than enough for this platform.

I'm not worried about no shaker either. It wouldn't look good on this platform and the performance benefits are non-existent.
The Mach 1 has been very well received overall. This is an internet forum where people express the opinion and views. A lot of folks want more and/or different than what Ford is offering. But that's what so great about our cars. You can make them whatever you want. If what you want isn't currently available, wait five minutes someone will make it. Ford gives us the platform. What you do what it is what imagination is all about.
Sponsored