Thinking topless...

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
As an introduction (you can skip if you don't care) I had a GT fastback a couple of years ago, tracked it, had fun, very few issues with the car. I bought it off the lot at a decent discount (early pandemic time frame) and sold it about 9 months later because Carvana gave me more than I paid for it, including taxes, tags, fees, etc. and I had a check engine light come on while on the track flogging the bejeezus out of it, which I took as a sign that it was time to move on. The whole justification for buying a new car for track use was to avoid issues like that. I gave it to them, no regrets, we had fun. Then, because I wanted another manual transmission car, I bought a new BMW M4. Fantastic car, huge fun, stunning performance. Twice the price of a GT, but now I've bought another BMW (Alpina, actually) and there's too much money sitting in the garage, so I'm selling the M4 (once again, for more than I paid for it) after 9 fun-filled months. But that manual transmission itch must be scratched. And I grew up with convertibles, and I've had a few myself (TR6, Z3, 911, Z4, Boxster) and there's just nothing like going topless with the wind in my hair...

So, now I'm thinking GT convertible. 6-speed, of course, probably no options beyond B&O. I'm interested to hear about current owners' opinions of the car, if the B&O is worth it, etc. I'll have to order this one, as not only are there not many cars on lots, but all the ones I've found so far have automatic transmissions.

Thanks!
Sponsored

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
As an introduction (you can skip if you don't care) I had a GT fastback a couple of years ago, tracked it, had fun, very few issues with the car. I bought it off the lot at a decent discount (early pandemic time frame) and sold it about 9 months later because Carvana gave me more than I paid for it, including taxes, tags, fees, etc. and I had a check engine light come on while on the track flogging the bejeezus out of it, which I took as a sign that it was time to move on. The whole justification for buying a new car for track use was to avoid issues like that. I gave it to them, no regrets, we had fun. Then, because I wanted another manual transmission car, I bought a new BMW M4. Fantastic car, huge fun, stunning performance. Twice the price of a GT, but now I've bought another BMW (Alpina, actually) and there's too much money sitting in the garage, so I'm selling the M4 (once again, for more than I paid for it) after 9 fun-filled months. But that manual transmission itch must be scratched. And I grew up with convertibles, and I've had a few myself (TR6, Z3, 911, Z4, Boxster) and there's just nothing like going topless with the wind in my hair...

So, now I'm thinking GT convertible. 6-speed, of course, probably no options beyond B&O. I'm interested to hear about current owners' opinions of the car, if the B&O is worth it, etc. I'll have to order this one, as not only are there not many cars on lots, but all the ones I've found so far have automatic transmissions.

Thanks!
Here's a couple of Shelbys. 2019 and 2017. When it comes to verts, Mustangs are the goat.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
You won't be disappointed - the car has been awesome, especially if you can run it year-round. Plenty of upgrades to do with it at the same time - the top is smooth, easy maintenance & been very happy with it for the last couple of years.
1644285163800.png

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
I just bought a topless version as well. Haven't even driven it since I bought it (darn winter). Already ordered some parts to make it "mine". Can't wait for spring.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I am not a sound wh*re but I really like my B&O. A lot better than stock. Would take it over AE.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am hearing impaired, so I don't give a crap about the stereo. I have a 2018 GT convertible that I have had for a few years. My previous car was a Porsche Carrera S cabriolet. The Mustang has been a nice, pleasant, worry-free cruiser with decent handling for it's size and weight. It won't disappoint you. But, it's no Porsche. Not even close.

toplineS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue Premium Convertible GT
I'm a sound guy and am actually really impressed with the Premium Shaker sound in my 2016 GT and have no plans to upgrade. To be honest, I never thought I would get a convertible.

There were two GT's at the dealership I got my vert from and was initially just driving the convertible as a shuttle car to see the coupe. Long story short, I forgot I was in a convertible and actually felt the drive to be more pleasant compared to the coupes I tried out. The extra weight of the convertible seems to give it more of that "rails" feeling, compared to the lighter coupes. I felt better traction in the convertible.

Also, for my preference, even though smaller, I prefer the back window visibility in the vert compared to the coupe. Something about the flatness.

Had this car through terrible weather for a few months, and I actually had more water leaking in with my 2008 GT lol.

First convertible I test drove, I bought.

I think you'll love it!

Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Enjoy mine. Perfect cruiser for me. Long road trips are easy. Get cooled and heated seats as recaros are not, active exhaust is great fun and b&o is worth it. Not a ton of manuals but did see a few when I was shopping.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Thanks guys! I ain't gettin' no Shelby, just a plain Jane GT for me. And with used car prices the way they are, plus the relative scarcity of a (non-Shelby) manual transmission convertible, it seems that ordering a new one will be the best way to go.

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
Thanks guys! I ain't gettin' no Shelby, just a plain Jane GT for me. And with used car prices the way they are, plus the relative scarcity of a (non-Shelby) manual transmission convertible, it seems that ordering a new one will be the best way to go.

I was in the same boat. I was waffling between ordering or used. My wife pointed me to used simply because I have a tendency to turn over cars rather quickly. Given the market, I was happy with the price I paid. It was enough of a delta compared to new through Granger that it was worth it. It also left some cash for me to customize it a bit an make it mine. If you search long enough you can find a Vert GT with a stick.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a couple of Shelbys. 2019 and 2017. When it comes to verts, Mustangs are the goat.

never been a convertible guy but would make an exception for either one :crackup:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I have the B&O in my GT/CS. No complaints here. I think it sounds great and would buy it again.
Sponsored