There used to be a time, where you just bought a muffler

chipset35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I recall in High School 1976-1980, we were changing out our stock mufflers in "auto shop" class for whatever suited our taste.
In 2006, I even purchased a 2007 Mustang GT, and purchased two Flowmaster American Thunder Mufflers for around $300 installed at the Ford dealership! Sounded INCREDIBLE.

1) Roll forward to 2013 when I bought a 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6Spd manual with the active exhaust.
It sounded great cold, and popped and gurgled when downshifting, and just removing the fuse for the active exhaust caused the exhaust to be open all the time, but was droning at cruise speed.
Never considered replacing mufflers or the exhaust.

2) Next traded that in for a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 392, sounded great cold then gets quiet once warmed up.
Switch from automatic mode to manual (tiptronic) using the paddle shifters or the console shift keeps the active exhaust open in Street and Track Mode.
Where as Track mode is the only mode keeping the active exhaust open in automatic.
Not as much pop and gurgle when downshifting as the Camaro, not even close, but when accelerating that 485hp Hemi sounded awesome.
Could not do anything to the exhaust without throwing a code, unlike the Camaro fuse pull, this car required all kinds of trickery from special flowmasters that cost $$$$ and include some kind of part on them to keep the active exhaust functioning and happy with no codes, other brands too, but expensive. Then the debate about resonator deletes, muffler deletes, back pressure too much too little...I left it alone.

3) So now I have a 2019 Mustang GT, that when shifting its 6spd manual transmission and accelerating sounds the best of them all IMHO, especially nice having the rev matching to blip the throttle on a downshift...love it.
BUT....quiet when cold, but gets louder once warmed up, the opposite of the Camaro and Challenger.
I have a base GT with a manual transmission, no performance pack etc. thus there is no way to adjust how loud the exhaust is like those higher trim GT's
As a result, was hoping there was a way to make the exhaust louder without spending a thousand or two on a whole different exhaust.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
$120 for Steeda x pipe or h pipe shipped to you. Save weight, more sound. H is a little deeper, x is a little more exotic and raspier. Both will be louder than stock without breaking the bank.

mopar75110

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Ram 1500
Replace the under-car resonator with an x or h-pipe. I bought an H-Pipe for $120 and had it installed for $50 more. Could not be more pleased with the end result !!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Axle back systems are usually more affordable. I'd go that route instead of replacing the midpipe resonator.

Having run a resonator delete H pipe before with the stock axle back, its by far the cheapest way to increase volume, but IMHO you kind of destroy some of the good exhaust tone to get that volume. I actually welded a stock resonator back in when I switched to an axle-back and I'm a lot happier this way.

Roush Axle Backs are one of the cheapest options that increase volume and compliment the stock resonator at ~$500 (not including install). People love it, and 20k miles later no regrets.

OP
OP
chipset35

chipset35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Is this something I can install without a lift and maybe just a jack and jack stands or race ramps?

Sponsored

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is this something I can install without a lift and maybe just a jack and jack stands or race ramps?
You can definitely install it yourself with a sawzall + clamps. This is not as secure as a shop welding the parts in though. The last thing you'd want is the temp and vibration to cause your expensive exhaust to fall out at highway speeds.

Removing the factory resonator is probably the cheapest option to make your system louder.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
As has been said, replace the mid section with an X or H pipe. This can be done on jack stands in an hour easily. If you're not as confident then maybe it will take you 2 hours, still an incredibly easy job.

I didn't have a sawzall so just measured up and cut with a hack saw, super easy. The active mufflers sound really good so don't get rid of them, you will be happy replacing the mid section

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I paid a little over $200 for my setup including having it installed/welded.

Universal X-Pipe - $30
Two Dynomax Race Mini Bullet Mufflers - $45 ($22.xx each)
Two Black Double Walled, 18 inch, 4 inch outlet, Exhaust Tips - $50

Installed/Welded - $100

From the look and sound, most people think I have one of those $1,000-1,500 catback systems.

2ahw31v.jpg

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Axleback first. I did X-pipe resonator delete first and as @NightmareMoon said, you kinda ruin the tone/add a bunch of tinny rasp on stock mufflers.

For a mild upgrade, and great tone, the Ford Performance by Borla (touring or sport) or Borla axlebacks (S type) sound great, but won't put you into wake the neighbors territory at all. Normally I would suggest Corsa (absolutely love, love my Sport catback), but I am not a huge fan of the sound without an X-pipe in front. The Roush is a nice tone too.

VikingJoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I frikin love my GT500 mufflers! Paid $250 for them and another $100 to have them welded in. Sounds amazing with the xpipe that I already had installed.
Sponsored