Sponsored

The Photography Hangout Thread

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you. I’m excited for next summer when my car is visually finished and exciting to photograph.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I owned the 105 AIS for a little while. I liked it but but I didn’t enjoy manual focus.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You got a GT350 from Carvana??????
Did you use the big ass vending machine?

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Ok guys, I have an older Sony alpha a55 with the kit lens. No matter what i do my photos are underwhelming it seems, I swear my iPhone 8 takes better pictures! Thinking of upgrading since my 11 year old daughter is showing some photography interest and it may give us a mutual small hobby to do together. What do you guys recommend sub 1000.00? I have been looking at a Nikon D5600 with the upgraded 18-140 VR lens, or a Sony 6300 with the kit lens. Any other models I should consider? Would just upgrading my current lens be enough?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Ok guys, I have an older Sony alpha a55 with the kit lens. No matter what i do my photos are underwhelming it seems, I swear my iPhone 8 takes better pictures! Thinking of upgrading since my 11 year old daughter is showing some photography interest and it may give us a mutual small hobby to do together. What do you guys recommend sub 1000.00? I have been looking at a Nikon D5600 with the upgraded 18-140 VR lens, or a Sony 6300 with the kit lens. Any other models I should consider? Would just upgrading my current lens be enough?

Post some photos and tell us what you think could be better? Buying a new camera/lens/gear to improve your photography is a slippery slope. On the one hand certain types of photography require certain pieces of gear such as wildlife needing a long telephoto lens, macro needing close focus, sports needing fast autofocus and frame rates. On the other hand Properly exposing and composing can make for a beautiful image regardless of what camera you are using. Using a fast prime lens(50 f1.8, 35 f1.4, etc) can blow out backgrounds with their shallow depth of field and make your subject really pop and still not be very expensive.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
A few things I would need to know before making recommendations.

1) what do you plan to shoot most often?
2) are you opposed to buying used equipment?
3) do you have friends/family that currently shoot one brand or another.

If you want to shoot wildlife, you obviously will need as much reach as possible. If you want to shoot portraits, lighting will become more important than the difference between a 1.8 prime and a 1.4 prime. Don’t forget all of the support equipment needed. Memory cards, battery, tripod, monopod, etc.

Used will obviously get you much further with that budget, but some people are opposed to it. Bodies depreciate fast, I buy bodies used and lenses I plan to keep forever new. But most of my equipment is purchased in like new condition for only 50-70% of the original new price.

I have switched back and forth between Nikon and Canon multiple times trying to find my spot. I recently sold all Jikon equipment and moved back to Canon for one main reason, I have a friend with tons of money who enjoys buying expensive glass for no reason. He just bought a 300 2.8 IS because I said it would be fun. I now get to use it whenever I want for free. Swapping and testing out other glass and equipment is fun and financially advantageous in the long run.

Without a bit more info it really is a shot in the dark on what to recommend.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"

Sponsored

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
A few taken during the road trip home from the dealership in Idaho.... I haven't worked through these yet - just a few I processed during the trip. The snow was a pia to drive through, but made for a spectacular setting in Moab at Arches NP when the sun came out. The white Mustang against that rugged red rock snow covered landscape - I shot a ton of pictures hoping to capture a great angle of it. I'll be looking over these the next week or so to see what I got.

45496127184_da724150b3_z.jpg
_DSC2337 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
45307246245_f6abbafd71_z.jpg
_DSC1722 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr
45307235615_95cf318638_z.jpg
_DSC1921 by Jason Garrett, on Flickr

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
A few taken during the road trip home from the dealership in Idaho.... QUOTE]

Very nice photography, looking foreword to seeing more

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hello there… I am looking to buy a new camera. I have great appreciation for photography and is something I am trying to get into again. I got a Sony a6000 two years ago and never used it to its full potential. I only used the kit lens and never had the opportunity (funds) to really test it out. Ended up selling it earlier this year. Now I have more time and resources so Im trying to replace and was going to go with the 6300 but my coworker recommended getting a DSLR for less, Nikon preferably. I was looking at the 5500 or the 7200 but I’m assuming the 7200 is more than I can handle as a beginner? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Also I was looking to travel more next year so I’m assuming I should be good with 35mm and 18-70mm

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Hello there… I am looking to buy a new camera. I have great appreciation for photography and is something I am trying to get into again. I got a Sony a6000 two years ago and never used it to its full potential. I only used the kit lens and never had the opportunity (funds) to really test it out. Ended up selling it earlier this year. Now I have more time and resources so Im trying to replace and was going to go with the 6300 but my coworker recommended getting a DSLR for less, Nikon preferably. I was looking at the 5500 or the 7200 but I’m assuming the 7200 is more than I can handle as a beginner? Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Also I was looking to travel more next year so I’m assuming I should be good with 35mm and 18-70mm

I may have a D7200 for sale if you are interested. Since you are fairly local I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and I can go over all the settings with you. I only have one lens to spare(50mm f1.8).
Sponsored