The Photography Hangout Thread

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
My wife just put up some wallpaper in our daughter's room. I was like "I'm a real estate photographer, lemme take a photo of that!"

IMG_5626-Edit-Edit.jpg

This is the following
1 ambient exposure
3 flashed exposures (flash in various spots in the room)
1 window pull
presets applied in lightroom, exposures blended in photoshop, final preset applied in lightroom
This photo might not look like much, but it took about 10 minutes to shoot and 20 minutes to edit. Just in case any of you think you want to be real estate photographers!

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I have an old dSLR (15+ year old Olympus) and am looking to upgrade. Looking for some suggestions from the "automotive" photographers in here. Interested in a little of everything: static, motorsports, etc.
I don't do this for a living, just a hobbyist.
Mirrorless? Traditional? Full-frame? Crop-sensor?
Where should I lean, and what price-bracket should I look in?

Sponsored

CycloneRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
I have an old dSLR (15+ year old Olympus) and am looking to upgrade. Looking for some suggestions from the "automotive" photographers in here. Interested in a little of everything: static, motorsports, etc.
I don't do this for a living, just a hobbyist.
Mirrorless? Traditional? Full-frame? Crop-sensor?
Where should I lean, and what price-bracket should I look in?
I was in the same boat as you. I bought a Sony a6600 and its been impressive.

You really need to say how much you are willing to spend, because crop/full is quite the difference in price.

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My wife just put up some wallpaper in our daughter's room. I was like "I'm a real estate photographer, lemme take a photo of that!"
This is the following
1 ambient exposure
3 flashed exposures (flash in various spots in the room)
1 window pull
presets applied in lightroom, exposures blended in photoshop, final preset applied in lightroom
This photo might not look like much, but it took about 10 minutes to shoot and 20 minutes to edit. Just in case any of you think you want to be real estate photographers!
Great job with the window. I do RE photography too, and by far the hardest thing to do.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I was in the same boat as you. I bought a Sony a6600 and its been impressive.

You really need to say how much you are willing to spend, because crop/full is quite the difference in price.
I know hobbiests with Hasselblads...

What's your budget?
I'm open to the used market, too. And even older bodies.
I'd say up to $1k for the body. But that's not to say $1100 or $1200 is out of the question if it's a huge jump from 1k to 1.1k if that makes sense.
I guess....it really depends where that really good "bang-for-the-buck" spot is.

Sponsored

myboostedgst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
it's super easy with a flash. Do you know how to do it that way?
Never tried it. I have some non TTL speedlights that I use for portraits, but havent tried it for RE yet. I should Youtube it and try it before my next shoot.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
now that mirrorless cameras are becoming more mainstream (I just switched), I'm sure that a lot of people are unloading DSLRs... In fact, I am currently selling a 5DmarkII. I'd sell it to you for way less than $1k as well. It's full frame and everything.

Are you wanting to shoot video? if so, do you care about frame rate?

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Never tried it. I have some non TTL speedlights that I use for portraits, but havent tried it for RE yet. I should Youtube it and try it before my next shoot.
yeah definitely do. Basically, you shoot your normal stuff and then for the exterior exposure, you just aim a full power flash at the window to overexpose the interior. Then you lay that layer on top of everything in photoshop, set the mode to "darken" and mask the window quick and dirty. It literally takes 5 seconds.

check this guy out... he's really good -

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
now that mirrorless cameras are becoming more mainstream (I just switched), I'm sure that a lot of people are unloading DSLRs... In fact, I am currently selling a 5DmarkII. I'd sell it to you for way less than $1k as well. It's full frame and everything.

Are you wanting to shoot video? if so, do you care about frame rate?
Don't care about Video. Anything I want to do with Video, I have multiple Go-Pros for and they are perfect for what I do.
Why mirrorless over dSLR?

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Don't care about Video. Anything I want to do with Video, I have multiple Go-Pros for and they are perfect for what I do.
Why mirrorless over dSLR?
for me, it has a lot to do with video. Mirrorless plays much better for video in my opinion. Also, They are smaller, and I'm a real estate photographer. I have a normal sized messenger bag with my entire RE setup in it (except for tripod, of course).

Seriously though, if you're in the market, a 5dII is an amazing camera, and I'll sell it to you cheap. The only bad thing (if you think it's bad) is that it doesn't have one of those screens that pops out and faces different directions.

it's amazing for landscape photos
31575294556_39ee4157b3_k.jpg
Pacific view by robertwsimpson, on Flickr

or action shots
30719185914_5f52eb64ad_k.jpg
Walker splashing by robertwsimpson, on Flickr

or cars
29254958162_f56e2efc30_k.jpg
NSX Dropoff (7 of 7) by robertwsimpson, on Flickr

or portraits
14386745342_649e262f4c_k.jpg
Maternity by robertwsimpson, on Flickr