Sponsored

The old RWD with snow tire vs AWD with all seasons debate

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
AWD doesnt help you stop or turn lol
This. In my sig - 2 WRXs and a LGT. My mustang does better in the snow with snow tires than any of those three with A/S. Besides, all AWD does is help you get going. I've driven comfortably by trucks and Subarus that were stuck in a ditch... with my Mustang. Last winter I helped a guy in a Honda get out of a ditch, a ditch I DIDN'T go into with my Mustang. The look on the cops face when he pulled up to help us was priceless - what with my stang sitting there with no issues, and the FWD car stuck.

Tires and right foot control is what matters.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
This is what I tell my friends/coworkers when they are surprised to here that I put snow tires (Blizzak DMV2s) on my F150. It makes a world of difference when it comes to stopping and getting going when I'm in 4X2 and not 4X4.

My rankings would be similar to others.

1. AWD/4X4 with snows.
2. RWD with snows.
3. FWD with snows.
4. AWD/4X4 with A/S
5. Tied between FWD and RWD with A/S. Slight edge to FWD, but hate how they push or just slide when you try to turn a corner. At least with RWD you can help the car rotate with the throttle.
6. GT350 or similar with summer tires. :D

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Ummmmm...riiiiiight.
I don't know if it is so farfetched. Unless clearance was an issue, I preferred driving my M3 or M4 in the snow more than my F150 (with snow tires as well). They were better balanced and went through it with no issue at all. Unless clearance was an issue then I'd take the F150. I maybe put it in 4X4 2-3 times a year and even then I'd probably be fine without doing so.

But, living in Buffalo with the lake effect mega snow fall amounts you guys get, I can see why you feel that way. I probably would change my mind as well.

All that being said, my wife has a xDrive (AWD) 428 Gran Coupe equipped with Blizzak WS80 and that is unstoppable in the snow.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
We have her Subaru LGT (2.5 turbo/6MT) to get us around in the poorer weather, which with us both being retired is something we can avoid having to do most of the time. And it's actually a decently fun car to drive in good weather. If I had to replace it now, the top name on a very short list would be spelled W R X.

Norm
Did you mean LGBT Subaru? ;)

J/K, we've had a couple of Subs and they are great cars. Hard to go wrong with them for an all season family car.

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
My GT350 with Pirelli 295/35/19 snows with traction control and inclement weather drive mode has no issues at all here in Michigan. We've had 15 inches in the last week or so. the traction is really quite amazing.

Just hit the quarter car wash once a week and spray off the salt and undercarriage.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a new Raptor, or even a Wrangler but its just a waste. I spent $60K on a GT350 with the world's best FPC exhuast note, interior that is downright GORGEOUS in my eyes, and want to drive it !

The funnest car I've outfitted for winter by far was my 2004 6-speed AWD Golf R.
My 2008 BMW 135i with Blizzaks did great.

Sponsored

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
I've lived not far from Buffalo since 1971. High horsepower, RWD cars, snow tires or not, are a terrible choice to drive in snow. An argument that awd or even 4wd vehicles aren't worthy because their drivers are morons is beyond silly. My wife drives a Lincoln awd vehicle that gets her to work no matter how bad it gets. I drive an aforementioned "Jeep" and pass V8, RWD, cars as they sit stuck or with their nose in a ditch almost every day of the winter here. And when I see a Mustang driving through the snow I stay far away.

Nice Jeep !

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
depends on the system, but it very well can. Some AWD can transfer torque under braking reducing the chances of a single wheel lock. You can get even fancier than that which is why F1 banned "awd" even if its *only* used in braking.

Same with cornering, AWD can be used to move forces around to make the car do things that are simply not possible in a 2wd car.

I will agree that one should DRIVE in a manner consistant with the low traction surface and not play Rallycar or rely on advanced electronics to keep you out of the ditch. You want to do that stuff, go find a private road or a field.

DUJALA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-LB w/Black OTT
This is going to vary largely for everyone depending on how rural of an area you live in and if you see higher snowfall totals or more ice and a dusting. I have a jeep grand cherokee and it is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven in the winter. I put it in snow mode and have no problems. This will be my fourth winter and I have 45,000 miles on the original all seasons and am just starting to be a little more careful when driving.

I live in a rural town of under 10,000 and we usually get at least two storms of 8+ inches in 24 hours, we have already had 2 this year. If schools close I need to be to work and I usually have to drive on un-plowed roads or cross roads that have been plowed and drive through drifts. Good luck going through 8+ inches of a plowed pile of snow in your mustang or sports car. They also throw so much salt and sand and other mixes of chemicals on the roads here that I don't feel like having a rusted out undercarriage in 5 years.

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
My car previous car to the GT350 was an '11 Audi TTS. I ran all-seasons in the winter here in Colorado with no problem - quattro really works well. I believe having the front wheels driven does help with turning. The car was fun to drive but the little 2.0l turbo is nothing compared to the FPC V8. Previous to the TTS I had a '02 AMG C32 (RWD, supercharged V6) which did not do as well even with snow tires. Both cars were automatics which was a PITA. When I get my winter wheels I will be putting on all-seasons as I will only use my GT350 when the roads are clear of snow. Even if I had great snow tires, I want to avoid all the AWD idiots!

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For those of you who own the wrangler, i m guessing you use the stick version? How do you like the differential?

I always wanted a rubicon, I quite like the way they look but not sure how comfortable they are.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Auto. Rather difficult to get it stuck in any conditions. Rubicon is equipped with differential/gears/swaybar disconnect that allows getting to places where others can't. I use AEV's suspension and it rides as if stock, very comfortable. The short wheelbase two door doesn't ride as well.

I stand by what I said earlier. High hp/tq rear wheel drive cars are a poor choice for snow use. Changing to a winter tire helps but doesn't alter vehicle dynamics. The last car I'd ever want to be caught in 8" of snow would be a GT350.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Auto. Rather difficult to get it stuck in any conditions. Rubicon is equipped with differential/gears/swaybar disconnect that allows getting to places where others can't. I use AEV's suspension and it rides as if stock, very comfortable. The short wheelbase two door doesn't ride as well.

I stand by what I said earlier. High hp/tq rear wheel drive cars are a poor choice for snow use. Changing to a winter tire helps but doesn't alter vehicle dynamics. The last car I'd ever want to be caught in 8" of snow would be a GT350.
Do you put snow tires on the Rubicon?

I guess I'm not getting why high HP/TQ has anything to do with it. Most modern sports cars have modes that limit their hit and you don't use it anyway. Unless one is an idiot.

I'm not disagreeing a car like a GT350 is a poor choice, but it can be done easily and safely for most.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
First of all, its not a matter of choice for me. I can own two cars not more. Not enough space. So for me its either M5 as a daily driver or something else.

I drive in true snowy weather 5-6 times a year. The other 360 days, a car like rubicon wouldnt work for me.

If I had unlimited space and funds, sure I would own a rubicon like yours and never bother with the M5 and snow tires. One aspect of snow tires is maintaining them, swapping them, etc. I m getting old and its too much work taking them on/off, they weigh too much and it hurts my back. Not to mention torquing the bolts etc. it used to be fun but now its a hassle. Other thing is, snow tires are so soft. M5 chews them like there is no tomorrow. Mine lose their traction after only 5000 miles. Brand new tires have 11/32" thread. When they reach 6/32", they are toast in snow. They dont work as well. Yes I run a square setup so I can swap fronts and rears but guess what I need two tires every year.

So is it practical? Of course not. But i just couldnt daily a rubicon other times of the year.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I do want to add, I think gt350 would handle snow a ton better than my m5. Not only it has weather mode with limited torque (m5 doesnt), but its stick shift. So much better to module the clutch and handle snow than that stupid dct. Also gt350 doesnt really have that much torque so down low.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Couldn't pay me to own a jeep, dodge etc product. There is only one single exception to that and its a Viper. From what i know its been excluded from being an excessive rusting hunk like the others. No thanks. My buddy does body work for a living. He has less than 3 year old ones coming in having rust issues in the bumper supports, under liftgate appliques behind the interior paneling, quarters, rockers, etc. The kicker is this is back in the midwest, not the "rust belt". Hell when i go back home seasonally to the midwest i see few year old Rams rusting on the bed quarters, some full on cancerous, some just with bubbling paint. I see the same thing on the return of the Durango. It may just be a tool for transportation but i vote with my wallet. I cant support products like that. No doubt they work as advertised though.
Sponsored