Sponsored

The old RWD with snow tire vs AWD with all seasons debate

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I got a '03 Explorer when I bought the GT350 after driving Mustang GTs with snows for quite a few years and AWD does make a huge difference in getting going from a stop in slippery conditions. However, I agree with others here that a performance vehicle does work much better in lower traction conditions when it starts sliding. Lower center of gravity, better steering, lighter vehicle - all those help to recover from a skid compared to a big vehicle with lots of squishy bits in the suspension.

I'd like to have an Audi TT or A4 with quattro as my winter beater. I think it would be more fun than an SUV but still do better in slippery conditions. I also like to have as much acceleration as possible in any weather conditions.
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Couldn't pay me to own a jeep, dodge etc product. There is only one single exception to that and its a Viper. From what i know its been excluded from being an excessive rusting hunk like the others. No thanks. My buddy does body work for a living. He has less than 3 year old ones coming in having rust issues in the bumper supports, under liftgate appliques behind the interior paneling, quarters, rockers, etc. The kicker is this is back in the midwest, not the "rust belt". Hell when i go back home seasonally to the midwest i see few year old Rams rusting on the bed quarters, some full on cancerous, some just with bubbling paint. I see the same thing on the return of the Durango. It may just be a tool for transportation but i vote with my wallet. I cant support products like that. No doubt they work as advertised though.
I live in the rust belt and all pickups tend to rust out. Dodge & GM rust around the bed wheel wells, Ford the rockers rot out, Toyota the frames. Jeeps tend to be very rust resistant.

If you take care of them they don't need to rot out. This is my 15 year old Dodge that is rust free
ForumRunner_20161218_131249.png

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I live in the rust belt and all pickups tend to rust out. Dodge & GM rust around the bed wheel wells, Ford the rockers rot out, Toyota the frames. Jeeps tend to be very rust resistant.

If you take care of them they don't need to rot out. This is my 15 year old Dodge that is rust free
Rusting on 2-3 years old and low mileage is not acceptable and shouldn't be happening. Thats the point. Old or very high mileage trucks its not uncommon no matter the brand. I know where other brands rust but not in 2-3 years with low miles.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Wouldn't even think about driving a Mustang through a winter. Hop in my F150 with all seasons, turn off all traction nannies, and put it in 4wd high. Had a blast the last few snows we got here.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Rusting on 2-3 years old and low mileage is not acceptable and shouldn't be happening. Thats the point. Old or very high mileage trucks its not uncommon no matter the brand. I know where other brands rust but not in 2-3 years with low miles.
I agree with you unfortunately you see it with Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota pickups. Can't say I have ever seen any of them rusting in 2-3 years but certainly when they start getting past 5-7 years.
Sponsored