The Mustang is the last man standing.....again

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Autos are for the weak of mind and body. 😆 The whole point of the blackwing is the default trans is the good Tremec.
I'ma just leave this here.

I love this guy!!!

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
The 3.5EB in the Mustang would be a monster though. You would have close if not the same horsepower as the 5.0, and tons more torque. I would see figures being similar to the Raptor 450HP and 510tq. You add that with the weight loss and this would probably be the best sports car on the market
There is something to be said for this. Like most everyone else here, I LOVE the rumble of a V8, but the tech has come a long way since the 60's and you can have bags of fun with smaller displacements too.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe in USA and Canada but Euros and Asians LOVE them and pay full price. It make no difference the genderless comrads here want to buy or not rest of world will keep them alive.

Every mfg needs a halo car. Ford tried the GT40 a couple times but did nothing for sales while Mustang in a showroom adds lineage prestige to an otherwise boring line up. Plus the rednecks and tiny people buying pick ups will aspire for Mustang if they can keep up their 8 yr truck payments and fill it with gas.

My friend just got an Orange GT PP in redneck Hungary and lovvves it! Everyone in town waving and hollaring all the time. The small town girls are clamoring for a ride LOL. Puts a huge smile on his face uses it as daily where premium is $10 gal.

Try that in a Tesla haha
The GT40 was never intended to be a volume car. It was only produced from 1964-1969. It was built to do one thing, win Races. Ford could not use the name GT40 for the 05-06 cars as they didn't own the trademark any longer. The 05 and up cars were simply called "GT" The 05-06 GT's outsold the GT40's by 40 times the original number, making it a sales success. Ford decided to build a modern version for my 2016, but due to it's hand built all carbon fiber body is very time consuming to make. Originally Ford was only going to build 1,000 of them, but due to overwhelming interest in buying, Ford decided to add a few hundred more to the production run. Ford choose who could buy one. You couldn't just walk into a dealer and tell them you'll buy one. Used ones are selling for double of the original price after just a couple years, and people are very happy just to be able to drive away with one, even if used and double the price. Weak sales was NEVER a thing on the Ford GT's! It was Ford who decided that they would remain rare.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The 3.5EB in the Mustang would be a monster though. You would have close if not the same horsepower as the 5.0, and tons more torque. I would see figures being similar to the Raptor 450HP and 510tq. You add that with the weight loss and this would probably be the best sports car on the market
What weight loss? The V6 EB is heavier than the 5.0.

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Time to start building nuclear power plants. Hybrids are the most logical design. I would love a gt hybrid with the same power. Tesla is killing the big three and its a con job. Like someone said what are you going to do with a used EV? This week the GT should be showing up at the dealer. Yahoooiooo. Lol.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Halo car is an ultra low volume unobtanium for the sole purpose of giving prestige to the brand for pulling buyers of normal $300K plus cars and mass market buyers of cars worth $30k for 65K like c class.

GT40 did nothing for Ford except maybe sell some trucks to pull the GT 40 haha.

Unlike Ferrari or Porsche, who know how to monetize halo cars, it was just a very costly marketing endeavour for Ford with little return....did folks run about an buy edge, fusion, focus LOL...no.

That said I'm sure mustang driver get way more complements that GT 40 drivers on the street.
GT 40's sold for $20-$25K in the 60's. It helped build Ford's image because they beat Ferrari over and over with them.

The Ford GT (NOT GT 40) cars sold for $160K-$180K stickers in 05-06 to those who always wanted a GT 40, but couldn't spend the then current Millions of dollars to buy an original.

Ford decided the second version of the GT would move high tech, and sold for roughly $450K-$550K. These "GT" buyers (not "GT 40") wanted to buy an exclusive high performance race bred car. The Ford GT 40 and GT Models WERE NEVER INTENDED to sell in large quantity. Virtually all sold with ADM's added. Also these cars did nothing to sell trucks. Your comments are pretty off base.

In Closing, I have never seen a GT 40 on the street. Virtually no one drives 50-60 year old multi Million dollar cars on the street. I've seen Ford GT's on the street (both generations) and if you don't notice them, you are not a car person, or a Fomoco fan in the slightest. They can take your breath away when they drive by. If I hit the lotto today, I would have an 05-06 GT in my garage within a month. The Original GT 40 might be too expensive and impractical unless it was a BIG jackpot.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
part of wondered if I was dumb buying my sport bike, with all these electric bikes coming out. but I assume this will be my last motorcycle/car that are ICE that I own

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Halo car is an ultra low volume unobtanium for the sole purpose of giving prestige to the brand for pulling buyers of normal $300K plus cars and mass market buyers of cars worth $30k for 65K like c class.

GT40 did nothing for Ford except maybe sell some trucks to pull the GT 40 haha.

Unlike Ferrari or Porsche, who know how to monetize halo cars, it was just a very costly marketing endeavour for Ford with little return....did folks run about an buy edge, fusion, focus LOL...no.

That said I'm sure mustang driver get way more complements that GT 40 drivers on the street.
You are right that there is probably very little direct correlation between "halo" cars and sales of "grocery getters" but that is never the sole point. All truly successful and innovative companies invest a portion of their resources (money and people) in projects that are not directly tied to current production activities. It's part of the R&D process and it's an excuse to think outside of the box.

These projects spawn all sorts of concepts and ideas, most of which sit on the floor, but every now and then brilliance emerges that helps transform production products and processes. You never know what might turn up and it could have nothing to do with the halo car itself (e.g.; it could be a new process for analyzing engine structural designs, or a new a type of fastener, or new material for interior components, or new way to integrate the electronics, etc. etc. etc.). I am quite certain that there are parts in that Fusion the soccer mom bought that can trace their lineage back to some R&D project that never turned a penny of profit by itself.

The other benefit, of course, is marketing. They do create buzz about the manufacturer that may not directly appeal to the soccer mom looking for a family car, but it keeps the Ford name out there. Exciting products like the GT get the attention of auto-bloggers and journalists and keep the Ford name and logo in the press. This then translates into more overall buzz about Ford as a company and that keeps the name and the brand in circulation more broadly as well. All product brands (not just auto brands) spend a TON of money keeping the awareness and name of the brand in front of the general public. In fact, I would suspect that the amount of money Ford spends on more traditional advertising dwarfs the investments they made in the GT projects.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
....since USA has no rare earths of its own ...
It's not the actual rare earth minerals that are the problem there are plenty in North America (including Canada). It's the massive pollution problem that comes from mining and processing them, which China has much more tolerance to accept.

Your point is well taken that the overall infrastructure to support a wholesale migration to EVs is still in its infancy, but I still believe that is where the "puck" is going.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Yes, if only they can find the money and materials or friends with both haha.
If I was younger (translation: had longer range investing horizon and a bit more risk tolerance), I would look for a basket of nascent/startup EV related companies to invest in. Not the big names like Tesla, but the suppliers of the underlying technologies. You don't need a ton of cash, but you do need a ton of patience and tolerance for ups and downs and the fact that you won't win every bet you place (something I wish I had learned when I was younger).

Whatever our personal opinions and preferences about ICE powered cars may happen to be, there is money to be made in EVs.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
there is money to be made in EVs.
You misspelled "exploiting politically in favor monopolistic opportunity"

Ford is going to lose their ass with both hands on the mach E going forward as well the lesser models they are desperately hoping to introduce so it's not just the wealthy who can afford an ev

Tesla still hasn't made one thin dime of profit selling their cars

Every ev properly should come with a 7 to 15,000 fine per unit for failure to have a recycling program.

Last edited:

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
What about the Lexus RC F, or the Jag F-Type, or the Blackwing, or AMG Mercs, or the BMW M5? Yeah, I know, those are not "pony" cars, but I suspect that there will be a few V8s out there for at least a few more years ...
That is Toyota's V8. They want to explore V6 turbos now.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
You misspelled "exploiting politically in favor monopolistic opportunity"
I do my best not to confuse politics with making money ... that only comes together for those at the very top of the food chain. The rest of us need to read the tea leaves and place our bets accordingly.

p.s.; This is slipping away from a discussion about V8s and whether or not EVs will replace them, so I am going to step back from anything that starts to get too political ...

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
I Bet chevy comes out with a electric camaro. I cant see stellantis doing any ev's yet.

Im not against a ev sports car. But i will miss the sound a v8 makes. My biggist issue with EV's is range, lack of infrastructure of the supply grid and charging stations outside of California. For me i could get away with it for work. My wife couldnt even make a round trip to work and back in the winter with the longest range car i know about. And forget road trips....
The electric panacea should only be applied to the following: post office, taxi, and Amazon delivery trucks...and so on. Do you see where I am going with this? It's totally nuts to think you would be secure on any other usage. Engineers anticipate things that can go wrong, political jackwipes are clueless.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the same reason only fleet or municipal vehicles use CNG or LNG where it has documented benefits. And why general population use is beyond stupid
Sponsored