Sponsored

The Livernois HPFP upgrade ... a second and better high pressure fuel pump upgrade

menaecoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost mustang black PP pack
I'm staying on the stock block for a while so I won't be maxing out the injectors, however would it be beneficial to upgrade them with this pump anyway?
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm staying on the stock block for a while so I won't be maxing out the injectors, however would it be beneficial to upgrade them with this pump anyway?
The stock injectors will be more than sufficient for where you're at right now.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
The stock injectors will be more than sufficient for where you're at right now.
All of our testing was with stock injectors. now that we have a proper fueling solution, we want to find out the limit on all of these items, and then figure out the limit of the next roadblock, and then the next :)

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Can you describe what I'm looking at between the 2 charts? I see the differences just want to understand what they are.

Sponsored

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
Can you describe what I'm looking at between the 2 charts? I see the differences just want to understand what they are.
Purple line is what Fuel Pressure ECU want the Fuel Rail to Hold. That is the target it is shooting for. ECU drives the pump as hard as it can but you see the green line, it doesnt get near the target briefly. It doesn't have enough flow to build pressure in the rail. On the bottom graph, the fuel pressure hits the target without a problem. It shows that the pump is capable of generating 2800 PSI when demanded.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
complete noob to fuel pumps and what not...

what's so special about the 2800 psi target? like why is this the ideal demanded number :shrug:

and are you all now comfortable with posting a "Supports up to ___whp" statement?

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto

what's so special about the 2800 psi target? like why is this the ideal demanded number :shrug:

and are you all now comfortable with posting a "Supports up to ___whp" statement?
It is hard to say what 2800 psi signifies but the relationship is definitely there.

Simply put, to get more power -> more boost -> pump gas knock -> e85 -> even more boost -> even more e85... etc (less all timing and such complications)

to sum it up, more power requires more fuel.. period

2 ways to achieve more fuel without additional fuel rail are -

1. Wider Orifice - Larger Injector

2. Higher Pressure - Higher Flow Pump

Inherent problems arise for both solutions alone because larger injectors will incur greater pressure drop per operation therefore it cannot sustain the target pressure. Higher Flow Pump alone can maintain the pressure and supply more fuel through factory injector but the fuel supply can only keep up to the injectors limit since it is essentially a restricting nozzle.

Seems like 2800 psi was the factory target pressure for this car? I don't know. I know most DIs I've seen data on all target upward of 2000 psi so I guess it is somewhat of an industry standard.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0

I'm not a technical expert on this but this is what I've gathered over the years of driving DI cars. If the injectors need 2000PSI to hit the fueling target the motor needs and the pump can only output 1300PSI, you get extreme cylinder temps and catastrophic detonation. This was really bad on early Mazda DISI engines, and why they tune them to run pig-rich these days. People were blowing them up trying to pass on the highway in 6th gear because the pump could not meet demand, let alone when modding. The very first mod I did on my MS3 was an upgraded HPFP piston which allows more displacement. Its cam driven, and you can't really get more duration out of it so increasing the displacement of the pump is the only way to get more fuel into the rail.

I guess 2800 is the target for these cars for the PCM to be happy.

Sponsored

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
so exciting see all these companies coming out with HPFP!! Especially when your in the market for one :D

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply, we have been getting hammered with inquiries on this (Not a complaint, trust us :) ).

So, what the graphs are showing is commanded fuel pressure versus actual. As you can see with the stock pump, the computer is requesting a fixed pressure value, that when stock, is more or less, easy to achieve. When tuned, it makes it more difficult to achieve that number as extra power requires extra fuel, and it can no longer deliver what is needed. Add in E85 (of any mixture) into the system, and it just becomes more and more difficult to achieve. In the case of these graphs here, at full E85, we actually had to run less power and boost just to be able to not have catastrophic failure with E85, but as soon as we put our pump on, it was able to keep up with demand, and put power back into it.

Now, we have found the limit of the injector, so we will be working on that next, so we can confirm that the pump can definitely out perform what the injector is capable of.

Now, as for purchasing these, we plan on being able to ship these out in the next 2-4 weeks.

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply, we have been getting hammered with inquiries on this (Not a complaint, trust us :) ).

So, what the graphs are showing is commanded fuel pressure versus actual. As you can see with the stock pump, the computer is requesting a fixed pressure value, that when stock, is more or less, easy to achieve. When tuned, it makes it more difficult to achieve that number as extra power requires extra fuel, and it can no longer deliver what is needed. Add in E85 (of any mixture) into the system, and it just becomes more and more difficult to achieve. In the case of these graphs here, at full E85, we actually had to run less power and boost just to be able to not have catastrophic failure with E85, but as soon as we put our pump on, it was able to keep up with demand, and put power back into it.

Now, we have found the limit of the injector, so we will be working on that next, so we can confirm that the pump can definitely out perform what the injector is capable of.

Now, as for purchasing these, we plan on being able to ship these out in the next 2-4 weeks.
So how much power can the pump actually support with the stock injectors?