Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am the OP. :focus:

All interesting comments, guys. But my post really relates to how to guard against damage to your paint, and what others do to clean their car, or remove snow/ice, etc, in winter.
This thread was not intended to debate anything else about winter driving.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP

All interesting comments, guys. But my post really relates to how to guard against damage to your paint, and what others do to clean their car, or remove snow/ice, etc, in winter.

Thanks.
All jokes aside - I never use a brush on the paint surfaces. When I use a brush on the windows, I never run it to the ends of the glass or get near the paint.

I never use a brush at the car wash and only use the spray. Even when using the spray, I use low pressure at first to avoid using high pressure and digging salt and dirt into the paint. (Does that really work, I don't know).

Unfortunately, living in Michigan has its costs, and one of them is dealing with snow and salt and dirty cars in the winter. My thought process is always - if any form of cleaning or clearing snow has the potential to scratch paint, I don't do it. I would rather drive with snow on paint surfaces than create scratches.

Reactions: GTP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Thanks.
If you have a MasterBlaster for drying your car after you wash it, you could get a small Harbor Freight trailer, slap a gas powered generator on it and use the MasterBlaster's hot air to melt the snow off. And if you only need to remove the snow at home you can skip the trailer and generator.

And just so you know, I'm not famous for my good ideas.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
what's this brushing snow off a car? huh?

NVGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Why not scrape the windows, then run it through a hot touchless carwash.........Ice melts right off.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Why not scrape the windows, then run it through a hot touchless carwash.........Ice melts right off.
Because if your glass is cold, and gets hit by hot water, it will shatter the glass. I've seen it happen to a woman that decided hot water would melt the ice of her windshield. What a sound it made.:eyebulge:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ice can't scratch... Its clear!
But any grit that's trapped under it will . . . either what got trapped under the snow when it fell or what landed on your car from vehicles in front of you and the ice sheet picked up as it slid.

In many states now it is a legal requirement to clear the snow off your car. Be glad it's not an over 12' tall, 53' long trailer.

As long as your brush's bristles haven't picked up any grit and you don't let them touch the paint any harder than lightly, there shouldn't be any adverse effects. None so far for my outdoors-only '08's paint over 7 winters (not counting this one since it hasn't snowed here yet), and it's a black car to boot.

Norm

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
My thinking is it's not an exotic supercar, it will never be a classic, if it gets wrecked or the paint gets scratched it can be fixed without breaking the bank and I didn't buy a Mustang to drive some beater.

....to each his own.....
True the Mustang isn't some "Exotic" super-car. But what it does have is a cult like following. And what comes with that is many, many people who will pay top dollar for a pristine conditioned Mustang when it comes time to sell.

The people who are fortunate enough to buy their car as a "toy" all understand the above statement. For example, go on Ebay, look for a 1990 Mustang GT in perfect shape - Guys will get 10k+ all day long for those. New, that car was only 14k. Then for example, look at a daily driven 1990 Mustang GT with 100+K on the clock that is all weather beaten and rusted out - You'll be lucky to get 1k for that. (btw, when I sold off my 90 GT 5 or 6 years ago I got 14k for it - low mileage and mint)

Point being everyone makes a choice on what they do with their cars. I personally rather have a mint Mustang than one that gets weather beaten. You said it best "to each his own". :)

NVGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Because if your glass is cold, and gets hit by hot water, it will shatter the glass. I've seen it happen to a woman that decided hot water would melt the ice of her windshield. What a sound it made.:eyebulge:
No way! Guess I've just been lucky then.

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I daily mine in Michigan and just refuse to use a snow brush....lucky for me I have a garage (might as well be heated since its under my condo) that it stays in unless I am at work and there we have a large parking deck :) At least once a week I throw on 2 or 3 layers with boots and waterproof gloves, grab my bucket and Adams supplies, and go use a quarter wash to spray off the underside and get all the salt/grime off. It then gets driven two miles home and detailed with waterless wash/gloss guard/detail spray :) I know driving a mustang in the winter isn't ideal, but I do the best I can to keep it great shape. I bought it to enjoy it every day, not let it sit in a garage while I drive some inferior car.