Sponsored

The Down and Dirty ADM Thread

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Well, just to continue the thread derailment . . .

Anyone who's driven home after a nice 85+ Fahrenheit track day, say hello air conditioned seats! Mmmmmmmmmm.

How are those MPSS tires working in the snow!?
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Come on!!! Anyone who owns a new GT350, especially those who own a 2015 MY, would love to see this car, as well as others, sell for their asking price. You can complain about MSRPs, ADMs, and even these prices, but deep down inside you saying, "please, someone buy this car!!" Win-win.
True! :D

But heck, my 2015 will not just sit w/ zero miles in a garage and become a mantle piece... still collectible but my true and real added definition is to collect thrills and grins with it on & off the track! That's a sure WIN-WIN experience IMHO. :thumbsup:

aguilar310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 #1235
Finally on a list for a GT350 for MSRP. Will wait for '17 if need to.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, just to continue the thread derailment . . .

Anyone who's driven home after a nice 85+ Fahrenheit track day, say hello air conditioned seats! Mmmmmmmmmm.

How are those MPSS tires working in the snow!?
A/C and heated seats are awesome! Gotta admit I'm using the heat more this time of year, but I went on a few hundred mile trip and the A/C on the seats was really great! Running cooling on the seats when the outside temperatures were in the single digits really felt decadent. :)

The MPSS tires don't work in the snow. I couldn't get up the hill to the back yard with them in just 3 or 4 inches of snow. I'm running Blizzaks.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
A/C and heated seats are awesome! Gotta admit I'm using the heat more this time of year, but I went on a few hundred mile trip and the A/C on the seats was really great!

The MPSS tires don't work in the snow. I couldn't get up the hill to the back yard with them in just 3 or 4 inches of snow. I'm running Blizzaks.
I couldn't quite tell what tire you had from my quick look at the pick, and thought you might be pushing way past the envelope! Kudos for going with winter tires and keeping the Shelby out of the garage.

Sponsored

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
will be with NASA so sessions will be on the nonexistent-side thanks to the jackasses that run in those 12 lap so-called races who always manage to wreck one car or more and f*** up a schedule that's already bursting at the seams.
Fixed your post

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I couldn't quite tell what tire you had from my quick look at the pick, and thought you might be pushing way past the envelope! Kudos for going with winter tires and keeping the Shelby out of the garage.
Thanks! I have to admit it sits in the garage more than I'm driving it the past few weeks. I'm not driving it when the roads are wet or when it's single digits or colder.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Couldn't be farther from the truth!

I had my base 2015 GT at the track and it did great. The GT350 with tech pack will be much more capable than the regular Mustang GT. I'd bet 99% of owners won't even be able to drive the car hard enough at the track to need the coolers.

The car has sensors to tell you if it's getting too hot.

No need to worry about that either. And if it gets hot, change the fluids after the track day. It's actually a win-win in my book. In my tech pack car, the rear diff and transmission won't be running overly cold all the time during street miles, plus the fluids will get changed more often. You should probably worry about that. There's not much you're going to be able to do about the transmission and rear diff running overly cold all the time. You should probably keep it in the garage unless you are on the track.
Your "bet" means nothing. A base 2015 GT doesn't have 526HP; which is a huge difference compared with the GT350. You obviously don't understand the amount of heat that is generated in the driveline components under track conditions. That friction and load put a lot of additional load, stress, and heat into the transmission and driveline components. There are no sensors on non-Track Pack models to tell you that the driveline components are overheating. Instead, you're only indication will be when they puke their fluid out of the vent tubes and all over the track.

The transmission and rear differential will never "run cold', you obviously don't understand these systems at all. The rear axle won't circulate fluid through the cooler until the temperature reaches a predetermined threshold, at which time the PCM activates the differential oil pump and circulates the differential fluid through the cooler. Same with the transmission, the trans fluid will not "run cold" under normal driving.

Museum piece? I'm sure you're going to spend all day every day at the track, so you'd better have those coolers! I will be getting plenty of use out of my museum piece!
Sounds like you are very bitter that you didn't get the Track Pack. I wasn't trying to insult your decision, only to make others aware that it's a critical decision if you plan on tracking your car in anything more than a small road course a couple times a year.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Your "bet" means nothing. A base 2015 GT doesn't have 526HP; which is a huge difference compared with the GT350. You obviously don't understand the amount of heat that is generated in the driveline components under track conditions. That friction and load put a lot of additional load, stress, and heat into the transmission and driveline components. There are no sensors on non-Track Pack models to tell you that the driveline components are overheating. Instead, you're only indication will be when they puke their fluid out of the vent tubes and all over the track.

The transmission and rear differential will never "run cold', you obviously don't understand these systems at all. The rear axle won't circulate fluid through the cooler until the temperature reaches a predetermined threshold, at which time the PCM activates the differential oil pump and circulates the differential fluid through the cooler. Same with the transmission, the trans fluid will not "run cold" under normal driving.

Sounds like you are very bitter that you didn't get the Track Pack. I wasn't trying to insult your decision, only to make others aware that it's a critical decision if you plan on tracking your car in anything more than a small road course a couple times a year.
I got the track bug with my last car, a CTS-V. After overheating my rear diff in 85 degree temps I'm now a firm believer in having those coolers on a car. My car at least had a rear diff temp sensor however the Camaros do not. Only time you know is when the rear diff boils over. I ended up adding an aftermarket rear diff cooler to the CTS-V.

There is an amazing amount of heat generated on the drivetrain under those extreme conditions. I'd rather not have to cut my track day short because of overheating.

I'm not saying you should pick one package over another. To each his own. However if you're going to track it you shouldn't ignore the coolers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your "bet" means nothing. A base 2015 GT doesn't have 526HP; which is a huge difference compared with the GT350. You obviously don't understand the amount of heat that is generated in the driveline components under track conditions. That friction and load put a lot of additional load, stress, and heat into the transmission and driveline components..
Why is it obvious that I don't understand? There's a 91 hp difference. Not really that much. Yes, I know that driving on the track generates heat. I already explained that I went to the track with my base Mustang GT, so I know what it is like. Ford already added features to make the GT350 good on the track.

There are no sensors on non-Track Pack models to tell you that the driveline components are overheating. Instead, you're only indication will be when they puke their fluid out of the vent tubes and all over the track..
Huh, I could have sworn there were sensors. If there aren't I guess you're right and that will be my indication. I'm not worried about it. Basically the same situation as I had with my Mustang GT and as most other drivers/cars at the road course.

The transmission and rear differential will never "run cold', you obviously don't understand these systems at all. The rear axle won't circulate fluid through the cooler until the temperature reaches a predetermined threshold, at which time the PCM activates the differential oil pump and circulates the differential fluid through the cooler. Same with the transmission, the trans fluid will not "run cold" under normal driving..
Yes they will and I do have a fairly decent understanding of thermodynamics and basic engineering principals. Whether or not fluid circulates, extra fluid in the system will lower the fluid temperatures.

No I'm not bitter. The tech was my only choice and I know I picked the right thing. I do get irritated by people who act like the entire car is different when there's at most a couple coolers and sensors that could easily be added if needed. I will be very surprised if I have a problem with heat at the track.

Probably about right - I will track it 2-3 times a year at some road course. I can see you had to say "little" to try to insult me more. I won't take offense, but I will not stick with autocross because I'm afraid to heat up the car. I'm a novice on the road course so I won't get as much heat in the car as a pro, and I don't have the money or the time to spend every weekend at the track. I live in Minnesota so I probably won't even be at the track when it's over 80 degrees.

I think you insulted me several times and I am working hard not to strike back. I'm not really above that at all.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
There are no sensors on non-Track Pack models to tell you that the driveline components are overheating. Instead, you're only indication will be when they puke their fluid out of the vent tubes and all over the track.
Again, this is factually incorrect. Tech has a transmission fluid temperature sensor. That's certainly taken into account if the car feels it needs to go into limp mode. It lacks a diff fluid temperature sensor but that doesn't matter for most practical purposes. I tracked my Boss... a lot. The only time I had venting issues on the diff was when the temperature was damn near 100 degrees at Thunderhill. And if it gets too hot, you get venting as the fluid expands. It's not like a hole in the bottom opens up and you oil the whole track. I've measured fluid loss from venting, it's negligible.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Again, this is factually incorrect. Tech has a transmission fluid temperature sensor. That's certainly taken into account if the car feels it needs to go into limp mode. It lacks a diff fluid temperature sensor but that doesn't matter for most practical purposes. I tracked my Boss... a lot. The only time I had venting issues on the diff was when the temperature was damn near 100 degrees at Thunderhill. And if it gets too hot, you get venting as the fluid expands. It's not like a hole in the bottom opens up and you oil the whole track. I've measured fluid loss from venting, it's negligible.
"Venting" fluid will get you black flagged. If you have no rear diff sensor or temp gauge how do you even know? By then the fluid is boiling and compromised. Hopefully these rear diffs have a larger capacity and better cooling than the one GM was using in my V. After we get a few more tech/base guys to the track we'll have a better idea. I'm sure everything will be fine in milder outdoor temps.

Fasstang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ITGUY
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EBPP
I can buy a brand new Audi R8 at that price. What a joke.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I went into my local dealer today to work out some delivery details since my car should be here soon. I was talking to him about the market for these cars and he advised he gets calls from locate services on a regular basis asking to buy his allocations for 8500 over MSRP. A few other locations have called asking if he had an R and offering 30k over MSRP. These are dealer to dealer transactions.

Just a heads up for you boys on the west coast especially.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
"Venting" fluid will get you black flagged. If you have no rear diff sensor or temp gauge how do you even know? By then the fluid is boiling and compromised. Hopefully these rear diffs have a larger capacity and better cooling than the one GM was using in my V. After we get a few more tech/base guys to the track we'll have a better idea. I'm sure everything will be fine in milder outdoor temps.
That's exactly my point, there was such a small amount that it wasn't even noticeable. So, no, that won't be a black flag if there's nothing to see. The only evidence that it happened at all was some oil around the vent.

I'm no expert on oil and friction parts, but when I took off my watts-link when I sold my car, the fluid looked brand new still, after probably 5-6 events since I last changed it. There was no noticeable wear on the diff gears at all. No metal in the fluid. Nothing. Had around 15 events total on it. I'm pretty sure the GT350 will hold up in much the same way. I look forward to sharing my experience in the future.
Sponsored