The beginning of my audio build *UPDATED: COMPLETE!*

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in Oxford White
Here is some of the equipment I recently picked up for my 2015 GT Premium:

• Hertz HSK 163 Hi Energy 3-Way Component System (Front stage)
  • Hertz HCX 165 6.5" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers (Rear fill)
  • Sundown Audio X 10" d2 Subwoofer
  • Skar Audio SK 125.4D
  • Skar Audio SK 1200.1D
  • Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3 8 Channel Digital Signal Processor (Not here yet)
All speakers should fit in the OEM housings with minimal modifications, and I will be sure to post updates on this build. I think I'm going with a ported birch enclosure for the subwoofer to keep it lightweight but still strong.

For any who may be running similar amounts of power on their 2015 mustangs, what kind of electrical upgrades did you do? I've been trying to research what size alternator comes stock with the 2015 GT premium but can't find any info. I've also been searching for some lightweight batteries with high cranking amperage that will fit in the factory battery housing. Please, comment your thoughts about what electrical upgrades need to be done for a system of this magnitude.

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of performance effect do you guys think will happen from adding ~85lbs to the trunk? The box will be removable on demand, but do you think it may actually help a bit with traction? I plan on finding a lightweight battery and doing a resonator delete to help compensate the weight gains.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender_1.jpg
FullSizeRender_2.jpg
FullSizeRender_3.jpg
IMG_2707.JPG
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great start, that is going to pound!

For performance I've read that 15lbs = 1 hp. So you'll be "losing" 5-6 hp from that weight. I wouldn't worry about it.

S.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Nice components. I deliberately made my sub box removable for track days; just a couple pieces of 2x3" velcro stapled to the bottom to keep it from sliding.

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the install is finally complete, and I've got to say it has exceeded my expectations. All factory radio controls are the same, no issues with electrical I'm sitting right at 13.5v at idle and the lowest I've seen it drop is to 12.8v while parked and slamming the bass. The subwoofer is extremely powerful but even at near full tilt the sound deadener (dynamat extreme) eliminates 99% of those annoying vibrations you hear with some trunks of sound systems. My only complaint is that when not playing any music there is a static white-noise type of sound coming from the speakers. Almost reminds me of an airplane... The speakers sound incredible with absolutely no distortion. This is one of the best sound systems I have ever heard. It did come with a price though, of course. Not only did my wallet take a hit, but the car gained a total of 137 lbs. Thankfully, the subwoofer box is removable and that deletes 78 lbs for track days. I also installed MRT hood struts, Valentine V1 mirror wire tap, and plasti-dipped my GT emblem (with a top gloss coat) Pictures are below!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V1 mirror install, MRT no-drill hood struts, and whited out emblem.
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Very Nice.. My god.. thats a hell of a subwoofer!.. that thing looks like it can take some serious power.. nice job.. enjoy!

unix_usr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP - Competition Orange
VERY similar aspirations :)

I'm in the midst of doing an sq-oriented stereo setup in my S550 PP too!

Did you do anything with the factory ACM - ie: defeat factory processing before feeding it into the RF 360 ? Did you do your own install or who did? I love the Hertz high-energy 3 way components, (did a Ford Fiesta with them actually) too - and also a huge sundown audio fan (using an SA8 in a custom birch enclosure myself; had a Z12 v.4 but at almost 200lbs with the box it took up all of my trunk space and just hammered too much... I've got a build-thread started over at DIYMA forum - http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/262466-2015-ford-mustang-gt-pp-build-thread.html ...

I would love to see any pics of the install process if you have them - did you just re-use the factory door speaker wiring or run your own through the molex? Have you done any measuring/tuning yet?

OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the late response, I did not do my own install as this install was above my level of car audio expertise (plus way too much labor) and I wanted it done right. I can tell you that the 363 has integrated nicely with the factory radio and it's getting a very clean signal. We used all new 100% O2 free wiring for both amps. The hertz speakers are very nice but I think I prefer my old Focal polyglass 3 way component set over the Hertz unfortunately. The sub is absolutely monstrous on the low end (peaks at around 32-34hz) but I find that my setup is really lacking the higher (punchy) bass around 60-120hz. One of these days I'll have to hookup my laptop and play around with the EQ to see if I kind find a solution. I don't have any pics of the install as I was gone the weekend the shop (Next Level Car Audio in Orlando,FL) had my car. From what I know the install was pretty straight forward, just very time consuming. Crossovers were mounted up in the footwell and the RF controller up front controls bass and preset EQs.

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Hey buddy,

Where did you tap into your front speakers to get the cross over set up properly. I udnerstand that the OEM tweeters are parallel wired into the front so I am assuming you tapped into somewhere where the wire was not yet paralleled.
Sponsored