Sponsored

Tech Pack Transmission Data Point

Kelgar63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just finished 2 days at Watkins Glenn with my Tech Pack car and wanted to provide a data point and welcome comments. I bought a Tech Pack car thinking it might never get to a track, but couldn't resist the opportunity on the newly paved Glenn.

11th/12th July - Temps 70's early to 80's afternoon (low 80's Monday, high 80's Tuesday afternoon). 7 sessions over 2 days (missed the 8th after I tore off the chin spoiler being a bit aggressive in the rumbles) - 30 min per session - ~10 laps on the ~3.4 mile course. Stock everything. Novice driver. Ideal 6000-7500 RPM in 3rd/4th (using 2 and 5 occasionally). Amazing car only more amazing at speed. My first and a traffic encumbered session were the only two where I did not hit limp mode. Got the engine temp indication in the other 5 about 20-25 min in. Saw 5K limit although in one session I though it was lower. I drove the last couple sessions short shifting trying to reduce RPMs but it didn't appear to help.

I think we need to do something as a group of 2016 Tech Pack owners to encourage Ford to do something like a reduced cost fix, especially in light of the 2017 decision to include the two coolers on all cars.
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
I wouldn't even wast your time with ford..you'all get a major runaround

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I wouldn't even wast your time with ford..you'all get a major runaround
Not really SVT came in and fixed the cobra issue back in 2000. So we shall see what happens.

Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Which part of the Glen killed your chin spoiler? I suspect the bus stop, between 10 and 11, or turn 1. The new curbing is high and very rough and few cars can take the curbs right now without being upset, or damaged.

Was this your first track event ever? What event group did you run with?

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Not really SVT came in and fixed the cobra issue back in 2000. So we shall see what happens.
When you say fixed ..is that a solution customers could pay for or bring your car in were fixing it?
Either way I fixed mine my own way.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
When you say fixed ..is that a solution customers could pay for or bring your car in were fixing it?

Ford paid for the fix.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
No the owners paid nothing and got the intake changed. Right now Ford performance is working on a solution ....should hear something within the next month. Stay tuned.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You should NEVER buy a first model year. People make this mistake over and over and over again and its always the same sad story. Every car manufacturer from Chevy to BMW to Porsche (and Ford is no exception) has had similar issues. I guess its part of western culture/1st world problems of "I have to have something" attitude.

- F10 M5: Oil pump failure. Injector failure. Terrible steering (which resulted in BMW making a brand new steering rack for 2nd year).
- E92 M3: Old and useless iDrive which is impossible to use. Rod bearings that wear worse than the later model cars.
- F80 M3/M4: Lots of issues with transmission, crankshaft, crank bolt spinning and throwing timing off
- 997.1 911: Across the board RME issues
- 991 GT3: Engine fires, first 2 years of cars having oiling issues that required Porsche to redesign the entire engine oiling mechanism

Should I go on? Its sad to watch this unfold all the time and people keep falling for it.

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
But they only did so after losing a class action lawsuit. They did not do it for goodwill. Their hand was forced.

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
No the owners paid nothing and got the intake changed. Right now Ford performance is working on a solution ....should hear something within the next month. Stay tuned.
I c
I no longer care .

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok my list of 1st year cars. Recent performance cars.
1) 05 Ford GT ....problems none
2) 05 Mustang GT....problems none
3) 07 Shelby GT 500 problems none " fly wheel never caused the clutch problem."
4) 14 corvette Z51 problems none.

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
You should NEVER buy a first model year. People make this mistake over and over and over again and its always the same sad story.
Should I go on? Its sad to watch this unfold all the time and people keep falling for it.
You make it sound like Ford pull one over on everyone, or the Tech Pack cars are inferior for some reason??

1.) Technically, I bought a 2nd model year GT350.
2.) I knew exactly what I was purchasing, and I bought exactly what I wanted.
3.) For my daily driving and autocross events, the Tech Pack car is perfect.
3.) Once I get my coolers mounted, which I have most of the components purchased, I can ignore these types of discussions and focus more on track time improvements. Not a big issue at all with me.

I'm really starting to get tired of the crap being spewed here by people that don't have a GT350.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I am kinda of in the boat of why people keep complaining about this "Cooler" issue.

From the start, my understanding was if you wanted to "TRACK" IE "ROADCOURSE" the car, you needed to buy the "TRACK PACK". If you wanted to spiritually drive the car sometimes, but was not going to "TRACK" the car, and wanted the creature comforts, you bought the "TECH PACK". Now with the 17, you can get it all, but of course it costs more out the box.

For me the TECH PACK of the 15/16 was just be fine, because I know I will NEVER "TRACK" the car. Hell it would see more of the 1/4 track than anything else, thus the reason I kept the car in my sig...So it truly confuses me hen people complain, not the OP, that they go into limp mode when "TRACKING" the car in a session.

Well the 17 will please everyone I guess.
Sponsored