BrandonB

Tinted Window Licker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Oxford 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

I've got an early build (11/17) '18 GT with the 301A package. Car came with the 8" screen, 9-speaker non-sub Sync 3 system, My Color and Drive Modes.

My Sync 3 will not save some of my preferences that I input. It holds all my radio station presets and EQ settings but that's about it. The most annoying being the screen is bright as crap at night. I can try adjusting the screen brightness by turning off the auto-dim, or switching the mode from auto to day/night and manually turning the brightness down. After I shut the car off for more than 3 minutes or the sync system shuts completely down, it forgets everything.. The next time I turn the car on (when I go to work at 4am) I get blasted by the force of a thousand suns that is the blue startup screen. If I've made any other changes like language or temperature unit etc., it does not save anything for the next start up. On frequent occasions when I have the dim mode set to AUTO, it stays in and does not switch from the blue daytime theme to the black night theme when the rest of my interior switches to night mode and my headlights turn on automatically.

I've also noticed on startup the radio will will constantly scan through stations almost like someone is holding down the seek button even though I'm in range of plenty radio (and HD Radio) stations. I'm not sure it's connected but my open door "ding" will sometimes come from the steering column/dash and sometimes through the speakers, each of them having their own distinctive tone. The car also cannot hold the correct time for more than 2 weeks before it falls out of sync.. even though it SHOULD be getting auto-synced through GSM or GPS.

All these problems happened for a week or two last year, but have resurfaced and become more permanent the last month or so. I've noticed my car did an automatic WiFi update on 1.6.19 which may have been when this started.

Things I've tried;

- Holding the Power/Skip Forward keys to restart the Sync 3
- Master Reset of Sync 3 through the menu
- Forcing a WiFi firmware update - The car searches for an update for approximately a minute, but then says Firmware Update Search unsuccessful or something along those lines. WiFi strength can't be an issue as I've got a 2.4g/5g AC access point less than 10' from the car.
- Performing a USB update from Ford.com's website - Followed their instructions to a T and even tried formatting multiple USB sticks which are known to work in FAT32, exFat etc., but get an INSTL_ERR12 every time.
- Smacked the dashboard above the touchscreen - verified to not be a fix.

The car only has 21k on it and is indeed still under warranty. However... the car has had the motor replaced due to a severe BBQ tick (rod knock) and has been in for transmission work as well. That was a 2 month ordeal, I just got the car back recently and I want to avoid taking it BACK in so soon because I don't think I currently have the patience with Ford to remain sane. Also I don't want to drive a stupid loaner EcoSport for another week.

I guess it should be known that I have not done any Forscan work or changed any of the As-Built data. The current software version is 3.0 Build 17276_PRODUCT and the Sync's VIN matches my car.

Thank you and If ANYONE has ANY suggestions or has dealt with this, I am all ears and will try anything..
Here is a picture for attention:
32315367897_696e0f06b7_o.jpg
Sponsored

Cobranut39

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
The white looks sick, miss my OW 03 cobra!... anyways, have you tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes? I have done this with the GT350 because the SYNC was all jacked. Seemed to work for a while? Just a suggestion..