bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Anyone else been experiencing issues with the sync 3 system using an iphone? I have always had intermittent connectivity issues with the phone, but they normally came right around the time of a new iphone update. I have the unit set to auto update, so I think it gets an update when apple rolls out their update. I would end up not being able to connect the phone (using the usb) until I updated. That isn't really my main concern. Over the last few weeks, I have been able to connect the phone without issue, but the damn sync system drops the phone connection when the phone screen locks. I can sometimes get around this by unlocking it a few times and messing with the apps, but other times I will have to just give up. I am wondering if this is just my unit, or a problem experienced by many after a recent update.

One other issue worth noting is the menu controls for Amazon Prime Music. The lists of band names or albums won't scroll more than 2 screens. When you have a my music list as big as mine, this gets annoying. I cant use the sync screen to select anything further down the list than the "C" bands.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Once you connect your phone you will have to unlock your screen. After that point it should stay that way while it is plugged into the USB. Using mine as an example I noticed the cable I had never seated good in the USB port next to the ciggarette lighter, so every time I adjusted the phone or bumped the cable that damn thing disconnected. Ordered a new 6inch cable and all is well now, its a much tighter fit.

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Once you connect your phone you will have to unlock your screen. After that point it should stay that way while it is plugged into the USB. Using mine as an example I noticed the cable I had never seated good in the USB port next to the ciggarette lighter, so every time I adjusted the phone or bumped the cable that damn thing disconnected. Ordered a new 6inch cable and all is well now, its a much tighter fit.
I doubt it is a cable issue, and I do unlock it once plugged in. As soon as the screen goes off, it's locked, and the syc disconnects. I unlock it again, and it reconnects.

Deleted member 35786

I doubt it is a cable issue, and I do unlock it once plugged in. As soon as the screen goes off, it's locked, and the syc disconnects. I unlock it again, and it reconnects.
Sounds like a setting within your phone.
Try it with someone elses Iphone and see what it does. If it works then there ya go.

Also this question should be posted in the Infotainment forum.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/infotainment-and-electronics-nav-audio-video-bluetooth.72/

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
One other issue worth noting is the menu controls for Amazon Prime Music. The lists of band names or albums won't scroll more than 2 screens. When you have a my music list as big as mine, this gets annoying. I cant use the sync screen to select anything further down the list than the "C" bands.
When I had an iPhone (up until Dec last year) Car Play was always terrible with connecting and controlling anything other than iTunes music in both my 18 GT and my 17 F-150. I use Google Play music also and it would do the same thing you mention about Amazon Prime Music. Sometimes it couldn't even pull my library on the display but if I unlocked my phone and controlled it on the iPhone it would work fine from the device. I had all the Sync updates installed also.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Sounds like a setting within your phone.
Try it with someone elses Iphone and see what it does. If it works then there ya go.

Also this question should be posted in the Infotainment forum.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/infotainment-and-electronics-nav-audio-video-bluetooth.72/
I have a personal and a work iphone. One is an X and the other is an XR. Both have the same issue. I doubt it is a setting issue, as the issue is sometimes easily corrected, while other times I can't get it to stop disconnecting.
If an admin wants to move this, I am ok with it. However, I feel like this may actually be an issue with the hardware in my car. I may call Ford about it today to see if the service department has any input.

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
May have found the issue for the phone disconnect. There is a setting to allow USB accessory use during phone lock. One of the later updates must have added this or turned it off. I turned it on and will see if the problem is corrected. I still don't understand why the issue would have been intermittent.

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Settings change fixed it. However, the Amazon Music menu issue is still there. Still odd that the disconnecting thing wasn't consistent.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you are using a cable other than a genuine Apple cable, yes, the cable can be the culprit. The replicated, fake, illegitimate and supposed “OEM” aftermarket cables are known to cause syncing issues between phones and their linked counterpart (PC, MAC or vehicle systems). It’s not just a cable, inside the head of the cable (the end that goes into the phone) there is a small microchip or resistor - many of the fake cables can not replicate that component and it’s properties. Yes, the phone will still charge, but it may not operate 100% correctly with the linked devices. Google it.

In some instances the fake or aftermarket cable may work with iTunes correctly, in other instances when plugged in, the phone won’t or can’t make the connection to iTunes and the phone will vibrate intermittently.

——

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If you are using a cable other than a genuine Apple cable, yes, the cable can be the culprit. The replicated, fake, illegitimate and supposed “OEM” aftermarket cables are known to cause syncing issues between phones and their linked counterpart (PC, MAC or vehicle systems). It’s not just a cable, inside the head of the cable (the end that goes into the phone) there is a small microchip or resistor - many of the fake cables can not replicate that component and it’s properties. Yes, the phone will still charge, but it may not operate 100% correctly with the linked devices. Google it.

In some instances the fake or aftermarket cable may work with iTunes correctly, in other instances when plugged in, the phone won’t or can’t make the connection to iTunes and the phone will vibrate intermittently.

——
Turns out this was a new setting issue. I corrected it and all works fine. I will see if the cable makes any difference in the Amazon menu. Somehow I doubt it will.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
And you doubted me! lol
Only because it was intermittent. Sounds like apple security features don't always work correctly.
Sponsored