Swap 2020 GT into 2017 GT

RussM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello everybody this is my first post. I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers for. I have a 2020 GT PP2 donor car for my 2017 GT. Would like to swap the Magnaride system and possibly the whole trany setup for the Rev Matching system. With having the complete systems from the donor car if I swap them over to my 2017 GT can the computers/modules be programmed to communicate with each other from the 2020 and 2017 GT modules. Almost everything I find just ends up debating back and forth about rev match. Fact is I know how to heal toe, I just want the rev match in my GT. I am just simply asking if they will communicate. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
can the computers/modules be programmed to communicate with each other from the 2020 and 2017 GT modules.
No, you need to swap all the 2020 modules and wiring into your 2017.

I just want the rev match in my GT
Seems like alot of work and expense if that's all you want to gain. There are 3rd party modules that you can add cheaply do your 2017 to get rev matching.

OP
OP

RussM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the response. I plan on switching the modules and harnesses. Will the 2020 magnaride and trans modules communicate with the other 2017 modules in my car, ecm, pcm, bcm ect...

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
what parts are broken on the 2020? assuming crashed since you said donor car- easier to swap the 17 parts over to the 20 to fix it or easier to swap all electronics from the 20 to the 17?

I would think you would need to swap over all electronics to be safe

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Sell the parts off the 2020 and use the money to buy what you want that fits
You would have to swap every little bit over and you would need the 2020 key fob after you swap basically the complete car

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
You can buy AUTO-blip for $500 and it will do the rev matching and works on your Mustang. I would not bother with Magneride and get real coilovers from Cortex Racing or Vorshlag. You are wasting your money on this swap

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Will the 2020 magnaride and trans modules communicate with the other 2017 modules in my car, ecm, pcm, bcm ect...
Short answer is no. Module suppliers changed and so did addresses.

Long answer is if you pull all the parts, electronics, wiring harnesses and totally swap them into your 2017 it will work.

Like others said it is a lot of work. So if it's a project car go for it. If it is something you want done in a weekend forget it, unless you have 5 buddies who know what they are doing helping you.

OP
OP

RussM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
what parts are broken on the 2020? assuming crashed since you said donor car- easier to swap the 17 parts over to the 20 to fix it or easier to swap all electronics from the 20 to the 17?

I would think you would need to swap over all electronics to be safe
The front end is smashed and the frame is bent. I thought about that, but it would be a lot of work. Sections of the frame need to be replaced.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RussM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Looks like I will not be doing this then. I knew it would be a lot of work but I was also thinking that after I swapped everything it would just need to be programmed.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Looks like I will not be doing this then. I knew it would be a lot of work but I was also thinking that after I swapped everything it would just need to be programmed.
Nope. Unfortunately with the modern era of vehicles and all of the electronics now associated with even starting the car, it's more difficult now than in the last 10-15 years to do simple swaps.

Even if the car has been a hard hit and harnesses were not damaged, there's other modules that need to be reset and in some instances you may need more than just Forscan to reset those modules.

Then comes the question that if the car was hit and major areas where harnesses are laid out were damaged - most likely the harnesses themselves are either cut, broken, chafed, internally damaged or could be burned. Fixing multiple broken wires doesn't always work either.

You would be better off selling both vehicles and buying (1) of your choosing. Especially right now, if your 2017 is in great shape you can get top dollar for it.

OP
OP

RussM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks again for the info. The 2020 is not mine but I have access to all the parts I want and it won't cost me a penny. The motor is the only thing being sold from the car. If I could afford to buy the motor I would do a complete drive line swap. I know that wouldn't be an issue cause it would all be swapped. Also thought it would be cool to have those parts on my car. Was thinking there wouldn't be many 15 to 17 models with 18 to 21 options. Well none I guess from what finding out. I like trying to do things notary people or no one has done yet. Like to try to stand out from the rest.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Yea, you are screwed without the drive train. The 17 ECU will not play with the 18 up.

And the 18 up won't play with the 17 down.
Sponsored