DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium, 50 Years Pkg, DIB, MT82
Thanks to all so far!

Any other springs in the same performance range of the SP083s? Would like something to compare.

Any feedback between the Bilsteins and FP Track dampers? Are the Bilsteins worth the extra $?

Adjustable dampers... should I look at anything besides the Steeda DA?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Adjustable dampers... should I look at anything besides the Steeda DA?
there's not a whole lot to choose from without stepping up to coil-overs and bumping the price to a minimum of $2000 (See Brian for the Viking package details he's been raving about) or easily north of 2500.

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah what Matt said. If you’re looking for predictable, performance oriented handling with street manners you want linear springs. BMR’s approach to springs keeping the rear drop at only 0.5” is probably for the best on this chassis. I think the SP083 have a 0.75” rear drop though.

Steeda ultralite linear springs would be the closest in spring rates to the BMR handling setup.

Edit: here’s the link for rear Eibach bump stops https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-ebs770060
And for the front I believe: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-ebs770044
These are included with the Eibach Pro Kit springs. They’re the best bump stops for the S550 and I have them on the rear shocks. You don’t cut them. Didn’t know about them until after my suspension install otherwise I’d have the front stops too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
OK thats what I thought on the adjustables, thanks for confirming. Ok will look into the linears a little more.

I also was curious about bumpstops. Say I get FP Track dampers and SP083s, what would I need? Also, sway bars, I have the track sway bars, completely change that setup or keep the big front and get smaller rear?

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
OK thats what I thought on the adjustables, thanks for confirming. Ok will look into the linears a little more.

I also was curious about bumpstops. Say I get FP Track dampers and SP083s, what would I need? Also, sway bars, I have the track sway bars, completely change that setup or keep the big front and get smaller rear?
ford racing makes bump stops for the ford racing track shocks and struts

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
ford racing makes bump stops for the ford racing track shocks and struts
The bump stops you speak of happen to be factory bump stops that are pre cut and sold under the guise that they’re different. They’re the exact same as the ones on your car already, right down to the part number. Frankly the factory bump stops aren’t great, and the rears are awful once they’ve been cut to accommodate a lower ride height. Trust me, I know.

The only two different bump stop options are:
the Steeda adjustables - a multi-piece setup that’s beneficial if you’d like to run a shorter bump stop but they’re also harder.
And the Eibach pieces that are more compliant than stock with a better head design to absorb impact smoother.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Frankly the factory bump stops aren’t great, and the rears are awful once they’ve been cut to accommodate a lower ride height. Trust me, I know.
Most times when a factory bump stop is cut to provide a little more bump travel in a lowered car, it's the soft part of the stop that gets cut off. So when you hit the stop anyway, you're already into the rigid part, or you might as well be because there isn't nearly as much of the soft part left to 'give' and slow the motion down more gradually.

I get that many DIY'ers don't even think to look past the bump travel aspect, but it sounds like even Ford Performance can't be bothered to do so either. How hard could it be for FP to find a way to take their cut off of the stiff end of the stop or introduce some compliance back into a cut soft end?

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How hard could it be for FP to find a way to take their cut off of the stiff end of the stop or introduce some compliance back into a cut soft end?
cut off the plastic band. Or better yet just use the Eibachs.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Should you be hitting the bump stops during any kind of normal or spirited driving?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Should you be hitting the bump stops during any kind of normal or spirited driving?
no. Unfortunately the factory was dumb enough to sabotage the ride right out of the gate... The Steeda stackable ones are very firm, but they're using them as pitch limiters as opposed to deceleration devices.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The car bone stock does quite often on the rear shocks. Pull your dust boot and see for yourself.
The car won't have 1000 miles on it when I pull the old suspension out so there won't be much to see :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At least once in a while, but certainly more often than most of us would guess.

I'd be surprised if there was more than about 2.5" of free bump travel from curb. With stock springs, plan on losing about 1/4" for every normal-size adult front seat passenger and another quarter inch from the rear for every 65 extra lbs of trunk junk. Half a lateral g of cornering is going to take nearly another 3/4" away from the outboard tires (and that's if you're not trying very hard at all even with some extra weight in the trunk). Suspensions are in constant motion as we drive . . . I'm guessing at least an inch even driving straight ahead on reasonably good pavement. Half of that for the bump portion of this constant motion is yet another half inch, and it doesn't necessarily go away when we take a corner either. 2.5 - 0.5 (two passengers) - 0.25" - 0.75" - 0.5" = half an inch of bump stop clearance remaining.

But we know that people run heavier than the 175-ish lbs I assumed above, that trunk loads can run a bit more, that we sometimes take corners harder than 0.5g, and that over some roads there could be twice as much normal suspension movement. So it should not come as a surprise for OE suspensions to be into the bump stops on a fairly frequent basis.

And after all that, people whine about tire to fender gaps being too wide . . . without bump stop contact they'd undoubtedly need to be even bigger and people would not be exaggerating when they'd describe the overall look as "4x4".

Norm

OP
OP
DeepImpactCoyote15

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
So on the sway bar I'm fine on the front Track bar? Rear i've heard GT350 and GT350R or Adjustable BMR/Steeda, and I do have the big ole Track bar already that I could leave (but don't mind changing for benefit) so any other votes would be appreciated.

Bump stops I need to decide between Eibach, Steeda or cutting stock, any other votes on that?

Thanks all!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Just another reason I need a Magnaride programmer. Position sensitive dampers give you the option of a hydraulic bump stop to assist the physical one.
Sponsored