Sponsored

Suspension Mods Install - Input Needed Please

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
So I've got a pile of parts to install (minus the Steeda springs and sway bars that are back ordered) and I'm considering doing the install myself when the last of the parts arrive. I only have basic hand tools available. (i.e. basic wrenches, sockets, etc.) The most advanced tool I have is a torque wrench that I just bought and the most complicated mod I've ever done myself is a CAI.

Tools I know I'd need to buy or rent...
--- 1 floor jack and 2 jack stands
--- spring compressors

Parts to install...
--- Steeda Stage 1 Handling Package - Sport Progressive (springs, sway bars & mounts)
--- Steeda S550 Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System
--- Steeda S550 Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
--- Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Rear Toe Links
--- Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System
--- Ford Racing Mustang Jounce Bumper and Hardware Pack
--- BMR End Link Kit For Front & Rear Sway Bars
--- BORLA TOURING 2.5IN CATBACK EXHAUST

So my questions to those that know better...
  1. Am I crazy to think I can do this stuff myself?
  2. Can these all be done by just one guy alone?
  3. What order should I do all this in? (I plan to do it all at one time.) I know the exhaust is last but I'm not sure on the rest.
  4. Is there another tool I need that I might not have?
  5. According to the sites/directions these mod's install times add up to 14 hours total. I know it will take a rookie like me much much longer but how long do you think it would take a brake/muffler shop to do all this? (They charge $95/hr and haven't done any Steeda mods before.)
Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
The key to all this is...

How mechanical are you?

If you are & have the utmost confidence in your abilities, go for it. I too was going to go the shop route but I was just being lazy. I used to be an ASE certified master tech back in the late 80s & early 90s. No doubt in my mind I can do it and will do / have done mods myself.

I suggest getting another set of jack stands...and a pair of Rhino ramps. As for doing it by yourself, it can be done; must make sure you are prepared. If you can swing getting another set of hands & eyes on your project, even better. Remove your exhaust first and install the cat-back last. Took me less than 10 minutes to remove the stock catback by myself. Total cake-walk if you do it properly.

My GT isn't a DD so I can take my sweet time if I wanted too. But knowing myself, I won't rush it but will get the job done properly & on time. Most of all...have fun.:cheers:

OP
OP

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How mechanical are you?

If you are & have the utmost confidence in your abilities, go for it. I too was going to go the shop route but I was just being lazy. I used to be an ASE certified master tech back in the late 80s & early 90s. No doubt in my mind I can do it and will do / have done mods myself.

I suggest getting another set of jack stands...and a pair of Rhino ramps. As for doing it by yourself, it can be done; must make sure you are prepared. If you can swing getting another set of hands & eyes on your project, even better. Remove your exhaust first and install the cat-back last. Took me less than 10 minutes to remove the stock catback by myself. Total cake-walk if you do it properly.

My GT isn't a DD so I can take my sweet time if I wanted too. But knowing myself, I won't rush it but will get the job done properly & on time. Most of all...have fun.:cheers:
I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I can figure most things out without too much trouble. It isn't my DD so I figure I can take my time as well. I assume since you are suggesting 4 jack stands that the idea is to put the entire car up and leave it up while I do all the work? That does seem easier than doing the front and back separately.

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I did my installs myself, it isn't that bad, it wouldn't hurt to get extra jackstands and an extra floor jack. I say do everything swaybar related first, then the vertical and toe links, then the bushing related stuff, followed by spring related stuff

I installed springs, aluminum bushing subframe kit, delrin sleeve kit, and the subframe brace

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Get another two jack stands. Get the entire car up in the air, follow the instructions, watch some videos, take your time. All fairly straightforward.

Then get a good alignment when all back together.

Sponsored

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Most importantly make sure you have the proper tools, a torque wrench, ratcheting wrenches, sockets, socket extensions, socket adapters, mostly metric but it wouldn't hurt to have both at hand. You need a spring compressor as well, and a heavy hammer

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
I assume since you are suggesting 4 jack stands that the idea is to put the entire car up and leave it up while I do all the work? That does seem easier than doing the front and back separately.
For ease of accessing the components you need to work on, having the car up on 4 stands is ideal. However, safety should still be first & paramount. Depending on how high I have the stands adjusted, I generally will still not crawl underneath a vehicle hence why I'll use the Rhino ramps up front. Someone may disagree with me on that but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also have 2 floor jacks that I use as back up support to the jack-stands just in case.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I did everything except for the springs and sway bars. The shop I took it to said it took a bit to get the springs in there. I've also heard others say similar. Lots of people will brag about how easy things are, I just wouldn't want you to get stuff tore apart and not have help available. If you haven't done much work on suspension, one thing to know... It's a lot of heavy parts that never seem to line up just perfect and almost always needs a little help (read hammer or pry bar). If you have patience, the required tools and a strong back, I'd say go for it. It always makes me feel good to do the work myself and you save a lot of money.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Electric or 18 volt battery and even a pnuematic impact gun 1/2 inch drive plus the needed sockets would come in handy .

Looks like my parts list to date . Waiting on the progressive springs .

Where in Iowa are you located if I may ask MontelG ?

TXREDNECK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red GT PP
[*]According to the sites/directions these mod's install times add up to 14 hours total.
[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Also consider that these install time are for each individual part start to finish. So what I am getting at is your not going to install one part put the car back together wheels and all and then disassemble it and do the next part. So my guess is it should not take 14 hrs to install these parts.

Sponsored

Sock

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 6spd PP Magnetic
All of the parts you are installing can be done at home using jack stands. If you don't have an impact wrench and appropriate sockets, the job will be much more difficult. If you have never done this type of suspension work I highly recommend you get some help from someone that has. And lastly, don't forget that the car will need to be aligned as well.

OP
OP

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Electric or 18 volt battery and even a pnuematic impact gun 1/2 inch drive plus the needed sockets would come in handy .

Looks like my parts list to date . Waiting on the progressive springs .

Where in Iowa are you located if I may ask MontelG ?
I'm in the Quad Cities.

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
Invest in an impact wrench. Hell invest in a good compressor and air tools. Well worth it. Just getting the wheels off without it is a pain.

Take your time, keep laptop near by to look at vids and pictures if you get confused.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I'm in the Quad Cities.

Pm me if you are really going to undertake the install on your own when and if you recieve the handling package that is on back order ..

I am close enough to get my hands dirty and to assist if you think that another set of skilled hands is needed ..

You will be buying more tools guarateed . You need more than just new parts and bad advice !
Sponsored