pawl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey All,

Longtime lurker here. I've been doing research to decide what application I want to boost my stock '17 GT. I decided to pull the trigger on a Whipple Stage 1 (shoutout to Beefcake, super helpful). I was just wondering what other supporting mods I should have included to make sure nothing comes back to bite me in the ass. So far I have listed: OPG+CSG, Mcleod RST Clutch Kit, GT350 HalfShafts, and aluminum Driveshaft. I'll be running the stock Whipple tune for now (CARB).

Much appreciated!
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Hey All,

Longtime lurker here. I've been doing research to decide what application I want to boost my stock '17 GT. I decided to pull the trigger on a Whipple Stage 1 (shoutout to Beefcake, super helpful). I was just wondering what other supporting mods I should have included to make sure nothing comes back to bite me in the ass. So far I have listed: OPG+CSG, Mcleod RST Clutch Kit, GT350 HalfShafts, and aluminum Driveshaft. I'll be running the stock Whipple tune for now (CARB).

Much appreciated!
Since we know absolutely nothing about your car, it's hard to say.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would steer clear of the Mcleod RST. Quality is hit or miss. Mine slipped at NA power levels and I replaced it with the Lethal LPX-HD clutch. +1 on suspension mods either Steeda or BMR both have good offerings. Also some drag radials as street tires will not get traction especially with a PD blower.

Sponsored

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
I would steer clear of the Mcleod RST. Quality is hit or miss. Mine slipped at NA power levels and I replaced it with the Lethal LPX-HD clutch. +1 on suspension mods either Steeda or BMR both have good offerings. Also some drag radials as street tires will not get traction especially with a PD blower.
The Lethal clutches are made by McCloud…

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The Lethal clutches are made by McCloud…
Yes i am aware. I was referring more to staying away from the RST. Its organic material can't hold up to abusive driving and isn't even rated for use on a Dyno or at the track. I would've went with mantic but i couldnt stomach spending 2 grand on a clutch so did some research and seems like the LPX series is a good choice because it is not as harsh on the trans as the RXT while still being able to hold up to spirited driving and track use.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
A few other supporting mods you can do which we recommend

Since you are doing the OPG upgrade think about upgrading the tensioners to MMR Billet primaries also do not use your oem harmonic balancer bolt get a ARP Bolt instead(that comes standard in our Stage 1+ packages we do).

I highly recommend a good quality catchcan (UPR is what we use) they have them for the whipple units.

For suspension it depends on what way you will use the vehicle (dig/ roll/ put put around)

However good options

Vertical links
Subframe support bushings
subframe alignment inserts

You could buy their stop the hop package (UPR OR STEEEDA BOTH ARE SOLID) which includes all of the above mentioned.

Since you are doing the clutch I recommend do a MGW Shiftelr also it is well well worth it and since the trans is out its a solid upgrade to do.

Have you made sure you have new flywheel bolts ? ARP is what we use and recommend while doing a clutch upgrade.

You could upgrade the clutch line to a stainless clutch line as well.
Sponsored