Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What's your usage profile like?

Does reduced mpg and more frequent servicing / breaking of weak parts matter?

Does £10k buy you a SC and upgraded bits and pieces to take the extra grunt? New driveshafts and diff's aren't cheap.

Do you turn the taps down a bit and make do with 600bhp so as to save the other mechanicals?

On the other hand, the my18 will only be the new model for a couple of years. Then what will you lust after? I think I would opt for being the fastest pensioner at the golf course and boost what you have.
Sponsored

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I will be retiring in the nxt couple of years so no can do.
Last throw of the dice for me,facelift model or supercharge my one and call it a day!
My wife and I have been retired a fair while,the Mustang is our only car done intentionally so that whenever we venture out it will be an event.

We are also very non rich and the costs of FI can get scary (big repair bill this week) ,but we intend to "go out" with a very large bang regardless how unseemly it may appear to onlookers

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
just to correct gibbo a little the roush and whipple are basically the same SC uses the same Eaton scrolls inside (roush is scroll same as whipple) both on 2.9l capacity main difference is packaging whipple brings most of the stuff forward throttle bodies etc roush leaves it at the back. dropped engine mounts can do roush without cutting if I understand the rednecks correctly.
Erm, not sure if you're correct on all of that.
Roush/Ford Racing/Harrop all use a 2.3litre Eaton.
Whipple is actually 2.9 litres.
All are screw type.
As to not wanting to blow the tyres off, I thought that was the whole point of a blower?

OP
OP
avocet

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Weekend car at the mo, but I drive it at every opportunity.
Facelift model is not saying 'must have' to be fair,and 10 grand would get me SC with a couple of safety upgrades I would have thought.Haven't given MPG or insurance a thought to be honest but sod it!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Erm, not sure if you're correct on all of that.
Roush/Ford Racing/Harrop all use a 2.3litre Eaton.
Whipple is actually 2.9 litres.
All are screw type.
As to not wanting to blow the tyres off, I thought that was the whole point of a blower?
Ford/Roush is 2.3 and are Eaton type.

Whipple is 2.9 for sure.

What is the point in having 800HP if you cannot put the power down and the 500HP car next to you kicks your ass at legal speeds?

I like a car with usable power, also being in the UK it rains a lot and I like to be able to accelerate hard in my car in the wet also.

So to me power I can use is important, if your only objective is pub bragging rights then great, but for me being able to floor my car and actually put it down and fly towards the horizon is the goal.

With any super charger setup, the most important part is the tune. As many have found out some of the factory tunes the kits come with actually drive not so great. For instance the Whipple Stage 1 package drives not great on their tune I found, but as soon as you upgrade to Stage 2, even factory tune it drives much nicer, which obviously down to the throttle body change.

My buying decision on super charger would be based on actual driving experience and also feedback from tuners, I found Lund were great when asking such questions as they shared their experiences of the different setups with positives and negatives of each. This is great as they do not sell super charger, they just sell you a tune for your setup, so they were able to give their feedback.

In short though all setups are great, they have the most tune time on Whipple setup and having driven a Roush and a Whipple S550, it shows the Whipple car is a dream to drive and really puts the power to the tarmac incredibly well which considering the car is RWD with 750-800HP is hugely impressive.

Flooring 700+ RWD in 3rd and 4th gear is a fantastic experience, my car is quick, around 4.5s 60-100mph, but the Whipple does it in under 3s and it feels like your internal organs are being re-organised. FEELS GREAT! :D

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weekend car at the mo, but I drive it at every opportunity.
Facelift model is not saying 'must have' to be fair,and 10 grand would get me SC with a couple of safety upgrades I would have thought.Haven't given MPG or insurance a thought to be honest but sod it!

Weekend car, easy choice, keep the current one, buy the SC.

If mine was a weekend car, I'd keep it and just go crazy like Mac has done, but its a daily and as a daily it has some weaknesses which the MY18 should fix.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
If it were me I'd be thinking what, in the 2018 car, would I then need to mod to make it "right"... so if that's going to add extra cost, and the £40k is a nice thought but something I personally think is optimistic with all the extra tech, then I'd probably put the money in to the car you already own and enjoy.

It's only "new" for a few miles, then it's 2nd hand, so will it be enough? Who knows - we've no idea yet. I'd wait and see what power the new car makes - maybe it's a half-way measure?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
So to me power I can use is important, if your only objective is pub bragging rights then great, but for me being able to floor my car and actually put it down and fly towards the horizon is the goal.
Well said but don't forget that the reason the Whipple is not spinning it's tires is because of their Flight Control software which limits power to actually allow grip ... a plus in my books!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well said but don't forget that the reason the Whipple is not spinning it's tires is because of their Flight Control software which limits power to actually allow grip ... a plus in my books!
Flight control just limits throttle blade opening, nothing special or genious you can do the same with your right foot. ;)

The Whipple I drove, has no flight control active, its tuned by Lund and the tune means you can plant it in 2nd gear as its tuned correctly as they do magic with the timing where power comes in gradual but from a timing perspective and not necessarily throttle blade opening.

But yes as said the tune is the bigger part of the story, you can have the best kit but if no tuner knows it then it can still drive like poo.

I think this is why Whipple is a huge favourite for many as companies like Lund, Palm Beach Dyno have huge experience and plenty of hours tuning logged on the setup, they have perfected it over the years.

You only have to ask owners of Roush and Whipple setups who went from the supplied canned tune to a custom one from Lund or PB and how blown away they were with power and drive ability. :)

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so what has to happen to make it a usable SC car running a Whipple? Let's not go crazy chasing mega numbers at the strip but go for reliability and a 650bhp target on the road. Let's forget big breaks and handling mods.

The essentials are:

Whipple charger kit
Opg
Lund tune

Do you need the following, are they likely to break?:
Oil cooler
Timing gears
Upgraded Torsen diff
One piece prop shaft
Stronger half shafts

What's the real cost?

Sponsored

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
:thumbsup:
Ok so what has to happen to make it a usable SC car running a Whipple? Let's not go crazy chasing mega numbers at the strip but go for reliability and a 650bhp target on the road. Let's forget big breaks and handling mods.

The essentials are:

Whipple charger kit
Opg
Lund tune

Do you need the following, are they likely to break?:
Oil cooler
Timing gears
Upgraded Torsen diff
One piece prop shaft
Stronger half shafts

What's the real cost?

650 bhp i.e at crank/ flywheel,yes with Whipple stage 2 + Lund tune more than achievable in fact 50-75 bhp more than that sounds about right to me,if you use a Dyno jet Rolling road then maybe another 50bhp on top of that :thumbsup:

Oil cooler lots of money ,luck of the draw ....if you have unlmited funds then why not,I don't.......:D

Propshaft so far fine...

Timing gear......goes with OPG for most.

Diff .....just lost my stock casing on very aggressive kickdown at 40 mph,mind you kickdown can be overly vicious on autos possibly more than dropping gear on a manual car (lund tune gear mods may have had an effect??).

Half shaft only failed because Diff moved ,so otherwise no problem.

With suspension mods /OPG /TG excluding stage 1 to stage 2 upgrade I am on £13-14k /£12-13k without suspension mods.

Last edited:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Upgraded 1/2 shafts are a pretty essential u/grade I think (purely from reading a lot on the forums).

Roush package cars (stage 3 670bhp) come with uprated 1/2 shafts as std. for example.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
:thumbsup:

650 bhp i.e at crank/ flywheel,yes with Whipple stage 2 + Lund tune more than achievable in fact 50-75 bhp more than that sounds about right to me,if you use a Dyno jet Rolling road then maybe another 50bhp on top of that :thumbsup:

Oil cooler lots of money ,luck of the draw ....if you have unlmited funds then why not,I don't.......:D

Propshaft so far fine...

Timing gear......goes with OPG for most.

Diff .....just lost my stock casing on very aggressive kickdown at 40 mph,mind you kickdown can be overly vicious on autos possibly more than dropping gear on a manual car (lund tune gear mods may have had an effect??).

Half shaft only failed because Diff moved ,so otherwise no problem.

With suspension mods /OPG /TG excluding stage 1 to stage 2 upgrade I am on £13-14k .
Ok thats fairly encouraging I guess. What sort of daily MPG are you getting in normal use?

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
Ok thats fairly encouraging I guess. What sort of daily MPG are you getting in normal use?

On stock car I was avg 23 mpg.With Whipple and whipple tune dropped dramatically to 18 mpg same driving style(whipple tune known to run rich for safety) .With Lund tune back UP to 21 mpg :headbang::clap2:due to leaner mix.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
On stock car I was avg 23 mpg.With Whipple and whipple tune dropped dramatically to 18 mpg same driving style(whipple tune known to run rich for safety) .With Lund tune back UP to 21 mpg :headbang::clap2:due to leaner mix.
damn. I was hoping for a more compelling reason not to supercharge mine. 2mpg isn't a big enough difference to discount it on a daily driver. :(
Sponsored