OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I’m on my 4th revision not counting start up tune. Just a lil over $8k. I do have the fan upgrade as well. I was in the boat of Procharger or whipple. But I am very happy with my choice.
Why 4th revision...

Can anyone confirm if the Ford performance and Roush are the same supercharger?
Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Just getting it dialed in. Cause I don’t have access to a dyno so I’m doing it (in mexico) lol.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
After 3 years, I just recently bought a supercharger system myself...and I bought a procharger P1x system.
Like someone before me said, you should do a good amount of research yourself.
Theres two types: the positive displacement superchargers also known as Eaton/TVS blowers - this is the Whipple, VMP, Roush systems. The centrifugal supercharger is the second type - this is essentially a belt driven turbocharger ... Procharger, Paxton, Vortech are the big ones.

Both have advantages / disadvantages. I went with a procharger myself because everything I read online told me:
1) Close to stock drivability below 3000-3500 RPM ... it produces little to no boost at low RPMs so the car feels like a vanilla 5.0 below those RPMs. This is beneficial to me because I don't want to tax the stock half shafts with too much torque too low down. However you definitely get what you pay for in the higher RPMs and the boost/power is strong. It suits the engines characteristic...
2) Reliability - prochargers have been in the game for a while. They know the mustang game.
3) Easier to install and remove versus the PD superchargers.
4) If you have a 6R80 or 10R80 transmission, they have OEM torque limits...some of the higher end options would easily hit those and I didn't want to risk that.
5) I like the sound of the procharger.
6) Doesn't add as much weight on the front end as a whipple or VMP. Also allows you to keep your factory strut tower brace
7) Fuel economy is fairly reasonable if you stay out of boost.
8) Vortech/Paxtons have temperature restrictions...

Those are my reasons...theres really no wrong answer with this so go with whatever suits your situation the best.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All blowers will perform well if installed correctly, procharger is one of the easiest to install and it's very popular for that reason. They even make an aux belt drive that will allow you to get home without fiddling around with belts if you happen to snap one.

I have an Edelbrock 2650. It's a good kit, probably want an aftermarket tune if you have problems with the tune
Whipple is good as well.

It's about power delivery and and satisfaction, all of these products are capable of putting down massive power and blowing holes in your engine block. If you can find someone near you to give you a ride in some of these cars and see if that's what you like. If you're a redlight to redlight guy a centri probably isn't going to be you thing. Just keep an open mind and an open wallet. People on here change setups a lot.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Surprised no one mentioned upgrading the Oil Pump Gears and Crank Sprocket. OP you will want to do this regardless of what supercharger you go with. They are good insurance since the stock gears are usually the first thing that breaks once you go boosted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks good info...

seems lots of people prefer pro charger. I will research that against the Roush & Ford Performance blowers.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Why 4th revision...

Can anyone confirm if the Ford performance and Roush are the same supercharger?
The Ford Performance one is basically the older Phase 1 Roush before the better ltr was added and the upgraded cal. If those are your options the Roush P2 is the better choice.

That said the Roush P2 has better cooling than the P1 and the FP, but still has heat issues compared to others due to design. Something to think about in warmer climates. But it is also a warranty friendly option especially if installed by the dealer (or any ASE) at the time of car purchase since its 3/36 starts from the original car purchase date.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If you're looking for value, here's your ticket: On3 twin kit, BAP and Injectors + aftermarket tune

I'm assuming if you're PP1 that you're MT-82. If so, the On3 setup will make more power than you can use or handle and give you room to grow and it'll be an absolute handful to drive (bordering on ridiculous) once you start feeding it proper fuel and let the boost rip. (without sophisticated boost control)

The next option would be to shop for a good used VMP or Roush setup (there's always guys looking to dump theirs and upgrade, sometimes they're guys that shops will vouch for).

Next in line would be a new P-1 setup with BAP and injectors and aftermarket tune.
On3 while seems like its a budget option it's really not. OP is paying for install, and turbo setups alone will cost more to install, and the On3 is known for needing modification to fit and work right. And needs upgrades to get more out of it.

OP just be realistic of your end goal, and budget. Personally I'd rate the common blower systems as Procharger>Whipple>paxton/Vortech>VMP/roush/ford/edlebrock

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I have a 2019 Mustang GT PP1.
Only Mod done so far is MBRP race exhaust.

I spoke to a local shop and he gave me a price around 8500 for a Supercharger install... it was a pro charger...

I am looking for the next bang for your buck. I’m debating on going all in on the S.C. I am curious is there any other supporting parts I need after the S.C. install?

I also debated on the next couple bang for you buck mods after the exhaust...?

he recommended pro charger because he said it comes with an inter cooler... don’t know much about the brand except a lot of people recommend Roush and Whipple here I see...
$8500 just for the instal? Or blower and installation? Prochargers are great blowers but I would advise to look into the whipples. Great blower and proven to make great gains! You can check them out here at https://www.lethalperformance.com/

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
On3 while seems like its a budget option it's really not. OP is paying for install, and turbo setups alone will cost more to install, and the On3 is known for needing modification to fit and work right. And needs upgrades to get more out of it.

OP just be realistic of your end goal, and budget. Personally I'd rate the common blower systems as Procharger>Whipple>paxton/Vortech>VMP/roush/ford/edlebrock
The on3 kit is basically $5k. You can find a zillion shops to do the installation for less than $3k. At the end, it's probably the same or similar price to a P-1 kit out the door, the difference being the twin setup has way more room for growth. That's why I put them in that order.

If I were pinching pennies (which I don't) and I wanted the absolute best ET/MPH increases I could get for the absolute cheapest I could buy them, on3 is at the top of the list. IF he's willing to do his own installation, the Procharger probably edges out the On3 kit (which as you pointed out is more complex), but if paying someone else to install, it's almost impossible to beat the performance (and potential performance) of an on3 kit.

I've set aside my personal feelings as to which power adder is the "best" or better and I'm simply advising him as to what is the cheapest path to HP gains (aside from a nitrous kit).

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Before you order anything, you've got to figure out what your end game is. Is it, just more power for the street, are you going for high horsepower, do you want torque down low for normal around town driving, are you going to competitions,etc. Canned tune or third party tune? If canned, drivability of the canned tune. Quality of customer service. The list goes on and on.

I went with a Whipple for my car. I don't compete, so ultra high top end is not my thing. I wanted down low torque for everyday driving. I had a big turbo on my last car and I had to drive it like a two stroke bike, "keeping it on the pipe", meaning typically in a gear lower than normal, so I would stay in the torque band. Warranty is not an issue for me so I went stage 2, but am running a stage 1 diameter pulley for a little bit of insurance against the detonation gremlins. I also went stage 2 because if the motor goes POP, I'll build a lower compression, forged internals motor and take full advantage of what the stage 2 can give me. The upgrade costs more in the long run. Like others have stated, do your homework and I go by the motto of "buy once, cry once". Good luck in your choice.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Before you order anything, you've got to figure out what your end game is. Is it, just more power for the street, are you going for high horsepower, do you want torque down low for normal around town driving, are you going to competitions,etc. Canned tune or third party tune? If canned, drivability of the canned tune. Quality of customer service. The list goes on and on.

I went with a Whipple for my car. I don't compete, so ultra high top end is not my thing. I wanted down low torque for everyday driving. I had a big turbo on my last car and I had to drive it like a two stroke bike, "keeping it on the pipe", meaning typically in a gear lower than normal, so I would stay in the torque band. Warranty is not an issue for me so I went stage 2, but am running a stage 1 diameter pulley for a little bit of insurance against the detonation gremlins. I also went stage 2 because if the motor goes POP, I'll build a lower compression, forged internals motor and take full advantage of what the stage 2 can give me. The upgrade costs more in the long run. Like others have stated, do your homework and I go by the motto of "buy once, cry once". Good luck in your choice.

Yes low end torque I would favor more than top end...

Where can I find comparisons on why a Roush would be better than a Whipple vs a Procharger for these 5.0s.

I see some people don’t want that instant on power that I do... me having to get this thing high up into the RPMs isn’t what I’m after even though that’s how the motor favors. I drive local street and want more and to put a surprise on folks faces.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Yes low end torque I would favor more than top end...

Where can I find comparisons on why a Roush would be better than a Whipple vs a Procharger for these 5.0s.

I see some people don’t want that instant on power that I do... me having to get this thing high up into the RPMs isn’t what I’m after even though that’s how the motor favors. I drive local street and want more and to put a surprise on folks faces.

If you want the torque, you will want a Roush, Ford Performance, VMP, Whipple or Edelbrock. If you want to keep a warranty, you'll need either the Ford Performance or Roush, Edelbrock and someone had mentioned somewhere on this forum, that the Whipple stage one no longer has a warranty. I haven't seen anything to confirm this. There are lots of threads regarding each of these superchargers. All of them have their strengths as well as weaknesses. You just have to search for threads on each and choose which one you will be happy with. The search function of this forum will find all of the information that you need. I spent a few weeks researching superchargers, etc to decide what to get in terms of Supercharger, suspension components, etc. Good luck in your decision.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've had the Whipple (stick) and the Roush (stick). Both were very good. The Whipple only a few thousand miles and most of those highway. Made 625HP @ 7,000 RPM and 675@7,800 RPM. Smooth. The Roush made 588 RWHP SAE at 6,700RPM on my 2011 Mustang GT. Ran excellent except sometimes would idle so slow almost stalled. Drag raced that thing till the cows came home! Hundreds of runs on stock OPG, stock exhaust. Consistently ran good hot weather or not. It was the TVS 2300 blower back then.

Both good. I actually didn't like the "instant torque" of the Roush as it was hard to drive aggressively without wheelspin. I preferred the Whipple much more.

Now looking at another Whipple and would like feedback from those that put it on the '18+ A10 cars like Ed did. Very concerned about driveability with the A10 transmission. Feedback from anyone on that setup would be desired.
Sponsored