Sponsored

student debt forgiveness is back

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Also another factor that I see that hasn't been mentioned is that the cost of living and inflation has been increasing steadily while wages have remained stagnant long over the past two decades.

This is probably the biggest reason why there is the push for free education and student debt forgiveness. If the wages kept up with the inflation and if there was a real middle class it wouldn't be such a big deal. Forgiving student debt would help eliminate the inequality gap which has only been getting bigger. If more people had the money to afford college, nobody would be bitching about it.
So throw in mortgage forgiveness too, right? Credit cards and medical bills as well. Let’s wipe the slates clean while we’re at it. Let the Gov’t take care of us and give us the bare minimum of what we they think we need..that’s how it’ll end up.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So throw in mortgage forgiveness too, right? Credit cards and medical bills as well. Let’s wipe the slates clean while we’re at it. Let the Gov’t take care of us and give us the bare minimum of what we they think we need..that’s how it’ll end up.
hopefully they give us enough heads up so that I can go take out a loan on a GT500 right before, but before I have to make the first payment.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Not really. Home ownership is a completely different situation. There is the issue with the 2008 housing crash from predatory loans, and now there is the declining rate of home ownership and increasing rate of renting. The homeownership remained relatively the same from the past except for the bubble that artificially inflated the market and it has been going down ever since to levels as it was before (even lower) than 2008.

Education has always been a way to increase your wealth. The idea used to be that going to college gets you a job and you'll eventually be able to afford a house and pay for your medical care. This is why college was not an issue in the past.

The wages haven't changed since the beginning 21st century. Very different situation than what was going on in the 20th.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
the cost of living and inflation has been increasing steadily while wages have remained stagnant long over the past two decades.
Hello; Don't know that I can recall enough details so as to be able to explain how it has worked, but have been hearing about reasons for this. The inflation is the easier part and has been covered by myself and others. The printing of money out of thin air likely being the main culprit. There has been in the last year two big episodes of massive spending in the USA due to the shutdowns and the virus. But such spending has become the normal unfortunately for decades.
An example of another reason for inflation may be the way governments add fees and requirements for things. On vehicles it seems new government mandates keep showing up. While some make a bit of sense, others do not so much. Regardless they all cause the cost of a vehicle to rise and often add weight. The weight bit is ironic. On the one hand the government requires better fuel economy. On the other hand the government's new requirements add cost and weight, with the added weight reducing fuel economy.

The wages issue has had a theory for some time. The theory I have known about is based on the idea the large multinational corporations do not have allegiance to nation states any longer. They are become world wide entities with influence to match. So the way I understand the theory is the push is to even out the wages around the world. Not even out in the sense of raising wages but perhaps more in the sense of lowering wages to a world wide standard. Not a theory I can back up from where I sit.
Immigration in both legal and illegal forms may be one avenue. Legal H1B type visas allow for well trained or educated people to be imported into a country to fill jobs requiring perhaps a higher skill level. At the same time it is my understanding these visa holders do work for a lesser wage much, if not most of the time. Engineers come to mind. In the USA few students do the hard work in math courses to become engineers so there is a demand. Some of this likely rests on the poor way public education is run. Social promotion perhaps being the more damaging practice and has been in place since before 1970.

Illegal immigration is thought to work on the other end of the economic scale. There are reasons for why someone in a country illegally will work for less wages. Regardless, a consequence turns out to be a general lowering of wages in some employment categories. Looks like the USA may be in for new waves of such immigration again.

As in the high school classes I taught, I know there are at least two tiers of classes, there are similar tiers in college. In the same semester as a high school teacher I would have classes both ways. In the AP Biology classes there would be students who were serious about getting the most out of the class. Often a smaller number of students, often under 20. They would attack the advanced texts and do the work to learn and get the most out of the class. They were in advance placement (AP) for careers mainly in the medical fields. I did not teach AP math classes so do not know for sure.
That AP class was usually only one class in a day. The other classes of regular biology or general science were always loaded with a mix of students. In a class of 30 students there would be a few rowdy students, from 3 to 6, with the rest being mainly well behaved. The well behaved students were the ones getting a bad deal. For the purpose of this thread let me call them the "normal" students.
Those normal kids were willing to learn and do the work at a reasonable level. Perhaps not driven like the AP students, but could come away with a decent education. Problem was the few rowdy students spread out in each such class. Those rowdy ones were not at all interested in an education. In some classes more of my attention was used to quell the bad behavior than to actually teach. The rowdy ones knew they had a full grown adult to play with and did so. They did not care that they were stealing the chance for a good education away from the "normal" kid in the class. So every day it was a struggle.
As someone else stated in this thread. The USA has fallen behind many other countries in terms of education. I can go into my understanding for the why of this, but will not just now.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really. Home ownership is a completely different situation. There is the issue with the 2008 housing crash from predatory loans, and now there is the declining rate of home ownership and increasing rate of renting. The homeownership remained relatively the same from the past execpt for the bubble the artificially inflated the market and it has been going down ever since to levels as it was before (even lower) than 2008.

Education has always been a way to increase your wealth. The idea used to be that going to college gets you a job and you'll eventually be able to afford a house and pay for your medical care. This is why college was not an issue in the past.

The wages haven't changed since the beginning 21st century. Very different situation than what was going on in the 20th.
I get a cost of living increase almost every year with the Dept. of Defense. It’s not my fault I didn’t get a useless degree in underwater basket weaving. If they can cancel Joe Blows student debt so he can afford the new PS20 to play more Call of Duty from his 1 bedroom apartment, they can do the same with my home loan. Nobody forced them to take student loans, I worked and paid my part and my family helped pay the rest. But I guess being responsible and paying your bills is the new form of racism. The pussification of this Country is astounding. Man up and take care of your business. Nobody owes anyone anything.
Sincerely,
an Indigenous American.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I get a cost of living increase almost every year with the Dept. of Defense. It’s not my fault I didn’t get a useless degree in underwater basket weaving. If they can cancel Joe Blows student debt so he can afford the new PS20 to play more Call of Duty from his 1 bedroom appointment, they can do the same with my home loan. Nobody forced them to take student loans, I worked and paid my part and my family helped pay the rest. But I guess being responsible and paying your bills is the new form of racism. The pussification of this Country is astounding. Man up and take care of your business. Nobody owes anyone anything.
Sincerely,
an Indigenous American.
People hate me when I post things like this but it’s the truth. We are what we make of ourselves, we are also brought down by our bad choices.

I 100000% agree with you.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
But I guess being responsible and paying your bills is the new form of racism.
Hello; Got a ironic chuckle from me. There is a whole lot of redefining going on the last few years. So many of us wake up and find new definitions applied to us. We become a "racists" just because of the skin we are born with, rather than any actions or attitudes.
Equality is being replaced with "equity" in a push to give some benefits and take away from others. I wonder if "equal" treatment under the law will actually be replaced by "equity" under the law.

Sincerely,
an Indigenous American.
Hello; Yes.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I get a cost of living increase almost every year with the Dept. of Defense. It’s not my fault I didn’t get a useless degree in underwater basket weaving. If they can cancel Joe Blows student debt so he can afford the new PS20 to play more Call of Duty from his 1 bedroom appointment, they can do the same with my home loan. Nobody forced them to take student loans, I worked and paid my part and my family helped pay the rest. But I guess being responsible and paying your bills is the new form of racism. The pussification of this Country is astounding. Man up and take care of your business. Nobody owes anyone anything.
Sincerely,
an Indigenous American.
Lol, It seems like you are unable to detach yourself from the situation. I was not making a personal attack against you. I receive a cost of living increase yearly as well. I worked hard and made several scarfices to get where I am at today. I am also an African-American. I am pretty well off for my age and ethnicity/race, but I am not talking about you or myself. I don't see how that is racist.

Not everyone who has college debt has a degree in basket weaving. Like I said before, if the wages rose with inflation as they did in the past college debt would be a non-issue. It started to become an issue in the late 80s and 90s. You can either look at the data and acknowledge the problem or just ignore it and come to a generalization which is what you are doing. Can't really do generalizations in my line of work.

Last edited:

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People hate me when I post things like this but it’s the truth. We are what we make of ourselves, we are also brought down by our bad choices.

I 100000% agree with you.
I reached the point years ago when I stopped caring what other people thought or how their feelings might get hurt. I tell guys at work that if they don’t want to get upset or their feelings hurt, leave them in their purse outside the wire, because if they’re an idiot, I’m going to tell it how it is and met their snow. People don’t want the truth, they just want their opinions and beliefs to come out of your mouth to reassure them that their little safe space hasn’t been sodomized with a cactus. It’s not always rainbows and Care Bears out there. Life will kick your teeth down your throat and keep on rolling. People can either get back up or just lay there. That’s their choice. Now I need a drink.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Got a ironic chuckle from me. There is a whole lot of redefining going on the last few years. So many of us wake up and find new definitions applied to us. We become a "racists" just because of the skin we are born with, rather than any actions or attitudes.
Equality is being replaced with "equity" in a push to give some benefits and take away from others. I wonder if "equal" treatment under the law will actually be replaced by "equity" under the law.

Hello; Yes.
I just took a class on Cultural Diversity yesterday, talking about equality and whatnot. If someone wants equality, they can put in the equity to be treated as such.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, It seems like you are unable to detach yourself from the situation. I was not making a personal attack against you. I receive a cost of living increase yearly as well. I worked hard and made several scarfices to get where I am at today. I am also an African-American. I am pretty well off for my age, but I am not talking about you or myself. I don't see how that is racist.

Not everyone who has college debt has a degree in basket weaving. Like I said before, if the wages rose with inflation as they did in the past college debt would be a non-issue. It started to become an issue in the late 80s and 90s. You can either look at the data and acknowledge the problem or just ignore it and come to a generalization which is what you are doing. Can't really do generalizations in my line of work.
Nothing personal was deduced from your statement. I take nothing personal, so no worries.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
All my peers are 100% for everything coming, my age group locally is pro Bernie pro Biden pro student debt elimination, stimulus checks monthly unemployment for life, healthcare free, illegals free, if you aren’t in the gay/lgbtz and trans rallies you’re a racist and miserable person

Dayton is extremely liberal and hipsters with its residents

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My condolences bro. I almost moved to just outside of Seattle and would have been in the same boat. They want all those freebies, sounds like prison would be their ideal location, everything is free there.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My condolences bro. I almost moved to just outside of Seattle and would have been in the same boat. They want all those freebies, sounds like prison would be their ideal location, everything is free there.
People who had trump stickers on cars was being vandalized and few even set on fire during elections, was worst during hilary v trump though

After that event, didn’t really see pro trump stickers or anything

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
All my peers are 100% for everything coming, my age group locally is pro Bernie pro Biden pro student debt elimination, stimulus checks monthly unemployment for life, healthcare free, illegals free, if you aren’t in the gay/lgbtz and trans rallies you’re a racist and miserable person

Dayton is extremely liberal and hipsters with its residents
Hello; one of the things I try to do when making plans is to figure future results from an action made today. I have been thinking about what may change if some of the popular causes were to be come reality.

So lets say the government providing the free stuff being wished for becomes a reality. Guaranteed regular income, free health care, continuation or expansion of free food and so on. Say the numbers are in place and they can vote all the dream stuff for themselves. I get that it would take a while but can picture over time fewer and fewer showing up for work. Especially the really hard or disgusting jobs. I am pretty sure the way some past government programs were structured can be used as examples of this.
For example only one I have heard about is the way some benefit checks are structured. I have heard that if a person qualifies for some form of check there are restrictions about earning extra income. So the folks might be able to earn a bit more if they worked but would lose their check if they did work. So they do not work, at least on the books.
Had a fellow in my neighborhood. Hurt his knee on a job. Got awarded a disability check. He must have recovered a good deal because he took on hard physical labor jobs off the books. He did things such as cutting firewood to sell.
The other thing I have heard for decades are the rules surrounding child aid programs. Something like if an unwed mother wants to continue to receive government support checks for each child, then no adult male can be living with them. A consequence which has affected lives which was not necessairly expected nor planned for.

So if my examples hold true, then it may follow that among the consequences may be fewer and fewer who need to work and fewer who are willing to work. Seems logical to me that after a time the money to support these "free stuff" programs will become less and less. Maybe I am missing something in my thinking.

Again for example only let me apply the same sort of "what happens in the future" thinking to another proposed policy. That being the path to citizenship for many millions of illegal immigrants already in the USA and the additional multitudes already heading this way today. Say most, if not all, do become citizens. Will they qualify for all the free stuff programs at that time, same as any other citizen? Will they continue to be willing to work for lower wages as appears to be the case now? Immigration itself is not a bad thing, so do not take this example the wrong way.

Side note, the fellow with a disability income who sold firewood, also had children. Each of his children qualified for a check from the government. I also damaged a knee. Had to have surgery and have never been close to 100% since. I never applied for disability and did work on the books for a time. My work was not too physical which helped so I guess I should not be so bitter about my former neighbor.
Sponsored