student debt forgiveness is back

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Yup, must be it. Congratulations, you can tell the grandkids that you won at internet today.
Hello; I get you are trying to be flip. I appreciate that you have remained largely civil. Think on it a while. Come back with your own rebuttals.
Sponsored

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm not a Democrat therefore your post has no merit. But thanks for the name calling. Tells us all we need to know about you.
I never called you a "democrat". Your inabilty to read and comphrend says plenty as well.

As far as the Hun, You own enough guns to finally think about proper storage, good for you? Why do I think all your "knives" are in a drawer with spoons and forks?

I'm sure the Lollypop Guild lives in fear of you.

And by the way, I still do not believe buying votes with promises of free $2,000 checks and $10,000 write downs on Student Loans. So keep deflecting it's almost Joe's big day. That crowd of hundreds will pretty much say it all.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
QUOTE="Mikthehun1,
"My arguments in summary:
1. College is not for everyone
2. In spite of this college is pushed on everyone
3. The colleges and lending institutions are taking advantage of the situation
4. These predatory practices need to be addressed

Here are some arguments I have not made:

1. That loans should be forgiven
2. That age limits need to be changed "

If they're full on adults, how come they're not allowed to drink? On that note, why can't they rent a car under 21, and even after are penalized with a fee until 25? Is it something to do with not trusting their judgment?
To argue that people of age 18 to ____ (you fill in the upper limit) should not be held responsible because they are not mature has implications. Should they also not be able to make a contract to own a car, a house, rent an apartment and so on??? Should a 19 year old have to get a parents permission for these things.
On the one hand we're saying people are "adults" at 18, while at the same time treating them like children. Can't have it both ways. If we don't trust the judgement of 18 year olds to responsibly drink, smoke, rent cars/hotels, etc, then how can they be expected to make an informed decision on high-interest 20+ year loans? Most people at 18 haven't lived on their own, paid bills, or had to support themselves. The concept of a loan payment is an intellectual abstraction to them because they don't have the life experience required to fully appreciate what they are doing.
So let me get it straight, do all the 18 year old young adults (as defined by law) no longer get to buy cars, rent, get married or make other such contracts?
What I've been advocating is for education/loan reform to prevent this predatory situation. We asking adult-but-not-adults to make this choice in the first place. Loan forgiveness is a bandaid for a bullet wound.
And no, I don't think unemployed people with no financial history should be able to get a loan of car/house/degree magnitude. Unqualified people being given loans is a burden we all have to bear,
I usually think of "predatory" loans being those with very high and unreasonable repay interest rates. Are you saying the federal backed loans have higher rates than a bank would require?
First how old should a person be to be considered a legal age adult? Is it 22, 24, 26, 28 or greater?
Next question repeated. Buy the standard you espouse then logically a 18 or 19 or so on cannot make legal contracts such as buying a car on their own. Is this what you want?
My point being some, if not most, freshmen going to college will not have property or savings to use as collateral. Some may have parents with enough money but I suspect too much parental money might disqualify.
So the federal government is the collateral for many of the student loans. Not such a bad deal for young adults who might not get any loan at all otherwise. Add this to my belief these federal loans are at favorable repay interest rates, then these federal loans are a sweetheart deal to begin with.
o after getting a sweetheart deal on the loan in the first place we (the tax payers) now are expected to "forgive" that sweetheart deal because the person who took the deal is (1) immature (2) picked a poor degree and cannot get the dream job (3) Has a job but cannot have nice stuff for a lot of years due to making loan repayments or (4) fill in the blank________.

Hello; I went back and pulled a few quotes from both of us. Highlighted some of the more specific comments.

Let me be clear on this point. Been a while since I dealt with a student loan personally. It has been my thinking the federal backed student loans are at reasonable interest rates. However I am not up to date so cannot be sure, so I asked the question about why the loans are considered predatory by you. It it a high interest rate or some other thing that makes the loans predatory?

I have made and to some degree backed up some points. My position can alter with new information. The predatory bit is one it likely would be useful to understand.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I think the rates are perfectly fair, I paid off my loans I had. I don't see an issue, but many never even pay a payment at all, without ever intending too and that's the issue. there's no repercussions to impact their lives.

age is irrelevant.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Are those who receive student loan "forgiveness" going to return their degrees to the institutions that took the money? I mean, if you received the goods, you need to pay the debt. If not, the goods need to be repossessed.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
If this thread doesn't end soon I may take one of your knives and gouge my eyes out. :facepalm:
Look at the bright side... with this thread you have proof education reform is desperately needed in this country. I read post 169 about five times... can't believe it.

No wonder companies are clamoring for H1B....

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Look at the bright side... with this thread you have proof education reform is desperately needed in this country. I read post 169 about five times... can't believe it.

No wonder companies are clamoring for H1B....
Hello; I went back to reread that post. No sure I follow you as to why it signals the need for education reform. Maybe just a dig at someone not to your liking? The points about money policy seem valid.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Hello; I went back to reread that post. No sure I follow you as to why it signals the need for education reform. Maybe just a dig at someone not to your liking? The points about money policy seem valid.
I didn't "dig" at anyone... thanks. My comment was in general about the entire thread...

If you think that disaster was on point, it is me... believe that.... it is me.. 🤣

Education reform is definitely needed...

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I didn't "dig" at anyone... thanks. My comment was in general about the entire thread...

If you think that disaster was on point, it is me... believe that.... it is me.. 🤣

Education reform is definitely needed...
Hello; Afraid you do not give enough information in the last two posts. I know I am long winded and do not expect such long posts from others. It is just that I cannot make out the meaning you are trying to get across. Ok good that the other post was not a dig.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Stop guaranteeing the loans. Problem solved.
Sponsored