Stuck at Flat Rock

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Can anyone provide any insight into my situation?

Vehicle was produced on August 26th but as of yesterday I can see (a screenshot from the dealer) that it has a status of awaiting shipment.

This status has a date next to it of September 11th in the status date/time column and so I assume that this was when it was technically 'released' from the factory (rolled out of the doors as I imagine it in my head :)).
If this is correct, is it normal for a car to sit in the factory for that long after production before it is released for shipment? Was it just sat there for 16 days :shrug: and is this normal? Was there a quality check phase after production that isn't reported?

Now I assume it needs to wait again before it gets sent off in a train, so am I right in thinking that it could now sit there for another 2 weeks while it waits for a full rail car going my way etc? Not to mention how long it takes when it reaches the rail yard at the other end and gets picked up for the last leg to the actual dealer.

I understand that in the past people have waited 6-12 months for their car in some situations but I thought this was mainly on the 2016 cars? I also understand the process takes as long as it takes but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any definitive explanation of each and every stage of the process and then a timeframe for each stage. The stories I have read seem to be so very different in timescales that I wasn't sure if they were representative of the norm or just 'anomaly' cases.

All help and comments appreciated (love this forum)!
Sponsored

DarkL1ghtn1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm in the same boat. Produced August 30, but still waiting for Release to Shipping. The way Ford Performance explained it to me is that right now they are doing QA checks before releasing it from the factory. I am expecting a status change this week though when I call on Friday.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My car sat at flat rock for over a month doing nothing. When it was finally at the rail yard, it sat for about 2-3 weeks waiting for a train. Took another week for it to arrive. I received the car 2 months after it was produced.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not much you can do but wait, how the cars are staged and stored before getting put onto rail cars seems quite a cluster.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm in the same boat. Produced August 30, but still waiting for Release to Shipping. The way Ford Performance explained it to me is that right now they are doing QA checks before releasing it from the factory. I am expecting a status change this week though when I call on Friday.
Seems like they added a new QA phase then, I guess it helps them with issues on panel gaps and dings that plenty of people reported. It would be great if they explained more of the process when you order the car, it would definitely reduce calls to dealers and FP. Deysha from this forum was also very helpful in terms of what stage the car was at.

I have never ordered a car from new, nevermind a car like this, is this the normal setup and process when ordering an M4 or Boxter etc?

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Vehicle was produced on August 26th but as of yesterday I can see (a screenshot from the dealer) that it has a status of awaiting shipment.

This status has a date next to it of September 11th in the status date/time column and so I assume that this was when it was technically 'released' from the factory (rolled out of the doors as I imagine it in my head :)).
If this is correct, is it normal for a car to sit in the factory for that long after production before it is released for shipment? Was it just sat there for 16 days :shrug: and is this normal? Was there a quality check phase after production that isn't reported?

Now I assume it needs to wait again before it gets sent off in a train, so am I right in thinking that it could now sit there for another 2 weeks while it waits for a full rail car going my way etc? Not to mention how long it takes when it reaches the rail yard at the other end and gets picked up for the last leg to the actual dealer.

I understand that in the past people have waited 6-12 months for their car in some situations but I thought this was mainly on the 2016 cars? I also understand the process takes as long as it takes but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any definitive explanation of each and every stage of the process and then a timeframe for each stage. The stories I have read seem to be so very different in timescales that I wasn't sure if they were representative of the norm or just 'anomaly' cases.

They were just released form the plant on Sunday, guys. They should be put out to await shipment yet. You can PM me for updates.

Deysha

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
They can keep mine as long as they want, just get it right!;)

mikeylikesit

Engineer and Gearhead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 99' LFX Miata, 16' MX-5 Club

I'm in the exact same stage as you jamesb1986, except my car was produced on 8/25. FP said I should check with them on Friday to see if it has shipped or not. They also said that they do not receive updates instantly and that the statuses may be delayed. I'm assuming that is what happened with our release dates of 9/11 because I doubt the inspectors are working on Sundays. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My car sat at flat rock for over a month doing nothing. When it was finally at the rail yard, it sat for about 2-3 weeks waiting for a train. Took another week for it to arrive. I received the car 2 months after it was produced.
Received mine 5 months after it was built.

Wayne Turner

Living life and loving it
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350,1970 GSX 1987 Buick GN
Received mine 12 days after it was built. Dallas Tx

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
The Blend Date on mine was Aug 22, 2016. I called yesterday (Sept 13) and it had been released, awaiting shipment. They said this is generally the most lengthy period as the car can be at various different stages, from the end of the assembly line to sitting on a rail car waiting to be shipped. They did confirm that the Dealership ETA is Sept 24-30, which has been pushed back from Sept 22-28 by two days, but that's no problem for me. Looking forward to it, patiently awaiting and trying not to annoy the hell out of the hard working people at Ford Performance or my dealership.