Strut Bar Concern

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I received a used GT strut bar for my EB, and it installed very quickly. I accidentally torqued them to 50 ft lbs (read the twist-type torque wrench wrong) and it sat parked for about two hours. After reading pages of horror stories about the studs breaking, I backed them off gently and re-torqued to 40 ft lbs (Ford recommendation). Is there any chance I may have caused the bolt damage? They're all on tight and the car drives beautifully. Wondering if they might shear during daily driving as I baby the car. I'm hoping if the studs were to break, it would shear during the tightening process, not during day to day convertible driving? I don't plan to ever remove the nuts again. Thanks!

20201115_133059.jpg
Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You should be fine. 10 extra foot pounds shouldn't have damaged anything....

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
There's difference between shear and tensile failure. If overtorqued, they would fail from tensile overload. if they haven't, you're fine. They may have yielded a bit but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Thanks guys. There's about 15 different threads here talking about people torquing to ford spec and the bolts (which are only spot welded on) seem to snap in half. Anxiety through the roof!

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
If 10 ft/lbs of over torque had catastrophically damaged them , they would have failed anyway. Remember they are meant to take that torque stretching the bolt and normal day to day stresses on top of that as well. So over toquing by 10 while its sat in your garage is nothing to worry about.
Sponsored