Sponsored

Stock Resonator vs Borla Resonator

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought the quad tip exhaust Ford Performance by Borla it was the touring version found it too quiet with the Borla resonator so swapped it out for xpipe the resonator is in the loft did less than 300 miles on the car lol
I'm reviving this one again! Just for a bit of extra info. Do you know what part number your exhaust is? I can't find a Ford Performance version that has quad tips AND the Ford Performance/Borla resonator. There are 2 types of F/P resonator - the EC-Type approved one and the stand alone version that Ford sell to replace the X-pipe on their systems. I'm interested in obtaining the latter which has no packing inside it (more like a chambered resonator). You can determine this simply by knocking on the outer casing. If it sounds hollow, it is the standard FP version. A dull thud means it is the EC-Type one. Also, the EC Type has perforated tubes inside it. Can you recall which one you have?

Cheers
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Nemesis know as they sell both. The EU version is a longer resonator.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I have the louder of the two systems and the part number on my invoice is 140589bcbor

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Initially I had installed the Borla Atak Catback 2.5, coldstarts where brutal, and wot sounded like a full headerback system. Put the borla resonator on and its way more tolerable on coldstarts and stop light to stop light. The X pipe sounded much better at wot but for cruising the resonated H pipe sounds nice and its a pre-requisite for headers in the future lol

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I was considering the Ford Performance "Touring" catback, when doing my research for an exhaust system. I looked at the Borla Touring systems, but they only had them for active exhaust applications in their fitment list. So I opted to go with a Borla S Type catback and added the Borla resonator to it and have a true 3" system. The Ford Performance exhaust is a 2.5" system. I figured if at a point in the future, if I went to long tubes, why have a 2.5" system as a restriction.

Sponsored

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I was considering the Ford Performance "Touring" catback, when doing my research for an exhaust system. I looked at the Borla Touring systems, but they only had them for active exhaust applications in their fitment list. So I opted to go with a Borla S Type catback and added the Borla resonator to it and have a true 3" system. The Ford Performance exhaust is a 2.5" system. I figured if at a point in the future, if I went to long tubes, why have a 2.5" system as a restriction.
Loosing too much back pressure could be as counter effective as having too much back pressure. Both sizes are designed to be free flowing exhausts so better than oem, the restriction really is in the headers as you might gain 5-10hp at the wheels with a catback but with headers you gain much more (20-30hp)đź‘Ť

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Loosing too much back pressure could be as counter effective as having too much back pressure. Both sizes are designed to be free flowing exhausts so better than oem, the restriction really is in the headers as you might gain 5-10hp at the wheels with a catback but with headers you gain much more (20-30hp)đź‘Ť

I've got a Whipple Gen 5 Stage 2 system on my car, so I figured if I blow my cats and go LTH, why have a 2.5" system to be a restriction.

Last edited:

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I've got a Whipple Gen 3 Stage 2 system on my car, so I figured if I blow my cats and go LTH, why have a 2.5" system to be a restriction.
My friend has a similar setup as you, you’ll be fine as long as you stick with whipple’s tune, if you go with a custom tune you’ll need either mak cat deletes or 1 7/8 size headers as his cats deteriorated from within and began rattling

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
My friend has a similar setup as you, you’ll be fine as long as you stick with whipple’s tune, if you go with a custom tune you’ll need either mak cat deletes or 1 7/8 size headers as his cats deteriorated from within and began rattling
Yep!
I can confirm, my PBD tune destroyed the OPF. So for now I have to install LTH.
I'm unsure if U.S. tuners can "deal" with the euro OPF.

I'm equally unsure if U.S. cars get OPFs in states such as CA.

After my recent experiences, my word to the wise would be to ask questions about any power mods, wrt your cats & opfs, before proceeding.

Last edited:

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Yep!
I can confirm, my PBD tune destroyed the OPF. So for now I have to install LTH.
I'm unsure if U.S. tuners can "deal" with the euro OPF.

I'm equally unsure if U.S. cars get OPFs in states such as CA.

After my recent experiences, my word to the wise would be to ask questions about any power mods, wrt your cats & opfs, before proceeding.
I think it depends how many cells are in the opf, most sport catted headers will be only 200 cells which is enough to get rid of the smell of fumes. I think the factory opf is 400-600 cells which is very restrictive.

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nemesis know as they sell both. The EU version is a longer resonator.
The Ford Performance resonator is different to both of the Borla options. Borla EU Touring exhaust is the quietest of the three, being the largest and filled with packing. The non-EU one is smaller but also is packed with sound deadening. The FP one is hollow chambered. I’d really like to try this one as it should be the loudest option before going completely unresonated, which is just a little too much for me

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
I'm reviving this one again! Just for a bit of extra info. Do you know what part number your exhaust is? I can't find a Ford Performance version that has quad tips AND the Ford Performance/Borla resonator. There are 2 types of F/P resonator - the EC-Type approved one and the stand alone version that Ford sell to replace the X-pipe on their systems. I'm interested in obtaining the latter which has no packing inside it (more like a chambered resonator). You can determine this simply by knocking on the outer casing. If it sounds hollow, it is the standard FP version. A dull thud means it is the EC-Type one. Also, the EC Type has perforated tubes inside it. Can you recall which one you have?

Cheers
mines the euro version so was the quieter of the two sorry for delay just seen this lol

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I have the none eu borla and it's a fair bit louder than stock

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, I see Nemesis currently have the non-EU Borla Resonator on offer and was tempted, but I don't think it will make TOO much difference, where as the FP one probably would. Cheap enough from the states, but after import duties and delivery, I'm not willing to outlay that just yet.

Interestingly, the FP EU exhaust system seems to have little to no sound deadening in the back boxes - don't know how that compares to the Borla touring/S-Type but I'm guessing the resonator plays the biggest part in quieting the car down.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I see Nemesis currently have the non-EU Borla Resonator on offer and was tempted, but I don't think it will make TOO much difference, where as the FP one probably would. Cheap enough from the states, but after import duties and delivery, I'm not willing to outlay that just yet.

Interestingly, the FP EU exhaust system seems to have little to no sound deadening in the back boxes - don't know how that compares to the Borla touring/S-Type but I'm guessing the resonator plays the biggest part in quieting the car down.

It's my understanding that the Ford Perfromance by Borla resonator is louder than the Borla resonator. The Ford is said to have no packing, where the Borla has packing. This would apply to the US ones. I don't know if the EU ones are different.
Sponsored