Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

Heezys6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 Mustang
Did you have to do any other modifications? I just want to be sure before I buy the setup — it has quad tips and the muffler itself looks larger and very different from even GT’s from 2015-2017
Did you have to do any other modifications? I just want to be sure before I buy the setup — it has quad tips and the muffler itself looks larger and very different from even GT’s from 2015-2017
USMCtoARMY is correct. And the mufflers compared to the 15-17 V6s are heftier. But will not cause fitment issues.
Sponsored

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I am lucky to have found this post and find a ‘17 GT oem exhaust locally. It sounds good. Deeper than the V6 exhaust, but overall actually seems quieter. It’s too quite for me so I ordered a Steeda H pipe to replace the oem resonator. From what a I understand it should be just what I am looking for...fingers crossed!

Heezys6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 Mustang
I am lucky to have found this post and find a ‘17 GT oem exhaust locally. It sounds good. Deeper than the V6 exhaust, but overall actually seems quieter. It’s too quite for me so I ordered a Steeda H pipe to replace the oem resonator. From what a I understand it should be just what I am looking for...fingers crossed!

Awesome, bro! Let us know how that goes!

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Steeda H-pipe installed in about 1.5 hours w jack stands under the rear jack points. I found it odd that the muffler side of the h pipe was not 2.5” ID but a butt type fit. Anyway it’s sounds better but still a bit on the quiet side. Someone said 10% louder crusing and 25% when you romp on it. There is zero drone, so that’s good. I’d say that is accurate. I may add some SLP Loudmouth II’s at some point.

If I had to do it again, I’d prob try the SLP II’s first. I’m a bit afraid the H pipe and SLP II’s might be too much. Some report that combo is boomy.

Last edited:

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Sounds good. I had a v6 for 2 years and loved it. I couldn't take the sound of the ecoboost. There is an outfit that makes an adapter kit to make the v6 into an ecoboost v6 like the SHO or the F150 you can pick up the parts cheap from a salvage yard and buy the kit to install it. With the right tune you can easily get 400 horse out of it and still get good gas mileage if you don't get on it much. With the GT exhaust you will have a car that sound good and has the power to back up the sound. When I got my v6 I found that it waas actually quicker than the 67 GTO that I bought new in 67. Love the new technology 6 cylinders that can beat a stock
GTO.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. I had a v6 for 2 years and loved it. I couldn't take the sound of the ecoboost. There is an outfit that makes an adapter kit to make the v6 into an ecoboost v6 like the SHO or the F150 you can pick up the parts cheap from a salvage yard and buy the kit to install it. With the right tune you can easily get 400 horse out of it and still get good gas mileage if you don't get on it much. With the GT exhaust you will have a car that sound good and has the power to back up the sound. When I got my v6 I found that it waas actually quicker than the 67 GTO that I bought new in 67. Love the new technology 6 cylinders that can beat a stock
GTO.
Nah. Not with a right tune unless you're talking about with E85 too. Torque? 100%, but otherwise you're looking more around 350hp range. Much better options for horsepower fun unless you want to go fully custom on the SuperSix kit like @SouthernCyclone.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Has anyone tried the Steeda H pipe with Borla S Type mufflers (2.5” GT version)?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried the Steeda H pipe with Borla S Type mufflers (2.5” GT version)?
Not Steeda but this guy has videos of the Borla S type with an H pipe and Borla Atak with H pipe. All have shorty headers as well.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Thanks! It sounds awesome,, but prob a bit too loud for me as suspected. Guessing there is likely drone to some degree in the cabin. Maybe I’ll PM him...

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! It sounds awesome,, but prob a bit too loud for me as suspected. Guessing there is likely drone to some degree in the cabin. Maybe I’ll PM him...
I used to have Borla S type on my V6 with an X pipe (slightly louder than the H) and there was no drone. The Borla mufflers are really good in that respect. Also, it really wasn't that loud unless I accelerated hard or revved the engine high at idle. And overall the V6 is noticably quieter than a GT with the same setup.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome thanks!
The guy who made that video has at least one more of the same setup. There are some portions where he is accelerating lightly up to speed. That might give a better idea of whether you think it's too loud.

A quieter option (but louder than the H pipe and stock mufflers) would be the Borla S-type axle back with the stock resonator. Someone I know had that setup (also shorty headers) for a couple years. It sounded good but he just recently added an H-pipe and is happy.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The guy who made that video has at least one more of the same setup. There are some portions where he is accelerating lightly up to speed. That might give a better idea of whether you think it's too loud.

A quieter option (but louder than the H pipe and stock mufflers) would be the Borla S-type axle back with the stock resonator. Someone I know had that setup (also shorty headers) for a couple years. It sounded good but he just recently added an H-pipe and is happy.
Thanks! I do have the OEM resonator (GT) that I could swap out if too loud, so I think it’s worth a try.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I have a stock GT exhaust that I removed from my 2016 GT Premium with less than 500 miles, back in 2016. I had it hanging on the wall in the garage at my old house. When I moved in 2017, I brought it with me and put it in my shed. It's just taking up space, and anyone who wants it can have it for free. You just have to come and pick it up in Tullahoma, TN. It's like brand new.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I found the GT exhaust with the 2.5” (GT of course) Borla S Type axle backs about as good as it’s going to get. The GT H pipe and Borla mufflers sounded great esp in sport mode, but was a little too loud, so I reinstalled the oem resonator. It’s deeper and quieter, but still noticeable. They borlas are quite a bit louder than the oem GT chambered muffler. The engine also revs noticeably easier. The OeM resonator is better for long road trips where the H pipe would get annoying. Neither set up had or has any drone, so that’s a big win. Now that I finally have what I like, it’s time to make a trip to the muffler shop to get the joints welded.

Oh I did install some JBA shorties over the weekend. This change moved the tips around, so I’m glad I did that prior to welding as the pipes will need some adjustments to get the tips re-centered and moved out a 1/4”.

I haven’t driven it enough yet, but so far the sound is a little deeper and sure seems to pull harder and easier at low rpm. I’m quickly up to 45 mph without even realizing it or trying to. Was it worth the install time and effort, IDK we’ll see…
Sponsored

Last edited: