ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Hey All -

Bought my 2019 Base GT350 new six weeks ago with 120 miles on it. During my contactless pickup I remember the dealer mentioning that it had some clear protectent plastic on it, but frankly I was too excited to ask many questions about it. It is on the frontend, outside edge of both doors, and rear rocker panels. See the enclosed photos for an example.

Is this clear plastic standard on GT350's? If not, what are some reasons this car has it?

Having gone through my paperwork it isn't anything I paid for and dealers don't usually give stuff like that away for free. Hand washed, clayed, and spray waxed this weekend and did notice some places where the plastic wasn't applied perfectly so doesn't seem to have been applied by a shop that specializes in this sort of thing. My guess is this is a dealer installed add-on. Given this is a 2019 I wonder if another buyer had this installed but the deal fell through.
IMG_20200711_151259.jpg
IMG_20200711_151309.jpg
IMG_20200711_151318.jpg
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That's interesting. From the pics you posted, it looks like a straight up PPF job. And if it's in all the places you listed, it wasn't cheap. It's also not factory/standard, and there's no reason your car would have it. It very, very, very odd to me a dealer would just randomly have that done on a whim, and not at a specific customer request. Odder still they didn't charge you for it. I'd argue the car was used and previous owner had it installed, but....

Is there any chance someone bought the car before you, had that done, and backed out on the deal?

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Agreed, that's not standard at all.

"new six weeks ago with 120 miles on it" -- that also seems high for a new car. I got my 2019 new in January 2020 with 8 miles on the odometer. I know of a guy local who had his GT500 taken to various shops for ceramic, PPF, etc. before he formally came into the dealership to take ownership and drive it home. Maybe something like that with a last-second cancel?

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Agreed, it looks just like the PPF I have on mine. Does the paperwork indicate this was a new car? It's very weird and they don't do it for free like everyone's said.

OP
OP
ZaChickster

ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Agreed, that's not standard at all.

"new six weeks ago with 120 miles on it" -- that also seems high for a new car. I got my 2019 new in January 2020 with 8 miles on the odometer. I know of a guy local who had his GT500 taken to various shops for ceramic, PPF, etc. before he formally came into the dealership to take ownership and drive it home. Maybe something like that with a last-second cancel?
That's interesting. From the pics you posted, it looks like a straight up PPF job. And if it's in all the places you listed, it wasn't cheap. It's also not factory/standard, and there's no reason your car would have it. It very, very, very odd to me a dealer would just randomly have that done on a whim, and not at a specific customer request. Odder still they didn't charge you for it. I'd argue the car was used and previous owner had it installed, but....

Is there any chance someone bought the car before you, had that done, and backed out on the deal?
That someone bought and backed out is my thoughts exactly. Car was sold as new. To be fair, the car was driven 70 miles from one dealer location to the one I bought it from so the car had 50 miles on it when I agreed to the deal (I knew they would be driving it to my location). I admit I should have done a little more research into the details of this car. I was originally looking for a used 2019 and lost out on a couple to local buyers. Finding my ideal Shelby only 30 minutes away new was too good a deal to pass up and I jumped in with both feet.

So curiosity got the best of me and I ran a CarFax on my vehicle. I am the only owner and the dealer serviced the car every two months. They did replace the HVAC blower motor two months before I bought it. Based on what I've learned on this forum that is not unusual. Now granted my dealer bought the car with 35 miles and there was nothing on the CarFax with clues as to what happened during those first 35 miles.

Sponsored

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
Are you the first registered owner? I know some dealers will drive them like demos and be on paper plates and then sell them so called BRAND NEW

OP
OP
ZaChickster

ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Are you the first registered owner? I know some dealers will drive them like demos and be on paper plates and then sell them so called BRAND NEW
I am the first registered owner (verified via CarFax). Don't doubt that this might have been a demo of some kind. In the 6 weeks and 1200 miles I've put on it the car has been fantastic. Been checking oil regularly and it doesn't appear to have drank a drop. It is a little unnerving to not have had control over the vehicle during the manual specified 100 mile break in but (knocking on wood) everything has been fine.

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
I am the first registered owner (verified via CarFax). Don't doubt that this might have been a demo of some kind. In the 6 weeks and 1200 miles I've put on it the car has been fantastic. Been checking oil regularly and it doesn't appear to have drank a drop. It is a little unnerving to not have had control over the vehicle during the manual specified 100 mile break in but (knocking on wood) everything has been fine.
Don’t lose to much sleep over it man these are nice cars enjoy and nice car.

OP
OP
ZaChickster

ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Don’t lose to much sleep over it man these are nice cars enjoy and nice car.
Amen. Will do. Was more a curiosity thing. Advantage of getting the car new is I've got the full 3yr/36k warranty.

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Amen. Will do. Was more a curiosity thing. Advantage of getting the car new is I've got the full 3yr/36k warranty.
And you can do the Track Attack. One thing I regret in getting a used one. I might go do a HPDE, it will just cost me.

Sponsored

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
i have the the same thing on my car - it was a dealer add-on. they tried to stick me with a ridiculous marked up cost, $995 i think. told them to forget it, i wasnt going to pay for it, made them remove the charge. At least your dealer didnt try to gouge you for it.

Last edited:

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
It looks like a good enough job of PPF. Mine goes down the rockers and up in front of the rear wheels to the top of the fender well. If you have it on the mirrors and inside the door handle cups, is was a pretty standard install. Most after-market places seem to charge about $1K for it in my area, nice freebie.

Ash1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Shelby GT350 Race Red
Probably put on by the first dealer. When I bought my 2015 GT, the first dealer tinted the windows before It was transferred to the dealer I bought it from. They didn’t charge me for the tint. Consider yourself luck on getting a free add on.

OP
OP
ZaChickster

ZaChickster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Thanks everyone. Looks to be a rare case of a dealer freebe. The entire "nose" of the car and outer edge of the doors is done. There are some imperfections in the install but not going to look this gift horse in the mouth.
Sponsored