brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
A few comments on this AM video:

Those Goodyear tires must be pretty darn good. There is no way I could run on stock Pirellis without devastating wheel hop on the 1-2 shift. The Goodyears in the video seemed to hook decently although I think I heard a bit of hop with them. I think he should have kept the drag radials on the car with the E85 tune. The video seemed to imply that the drag radials slowed the car down. I have seen that happen when someone uses tires that are much taller than stock thus hurting the effective gearing. We don't know if the car in the video had the 3.15 or the 3.55. In any case, with the right tires, I think he would have run better with the E85 tune in the car.

As I have suspected, the 93 octane tune barely made a difference on the drag strip. These 2018+ Coyotes are already pretty highly tuned on 93 from the factory. It takes a dedicated E85 tune or a tune for race fuel to take them to the next level. Tuners can tweak the transmission and maybe change the power curve a bit with 93 but the ultimate drag strip results do not show much improvement with just 93.

Track prep, DA and driver technique all vary so it is difficult to really compare timeslips of different cars at different tracks with different drivers. This video came as close to making reasonable comparisons as any I have seen. It is also pretty apparent that these stock 2018+ cars with the A10 are the real deal right off the showroom floor.

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
I got all excited for Nothing…Really!!!
Not able to do better with Drag radials than stock tires.Come on. I went from a 1.87 60' to a 1.77 60' which we all know equates to a lower ET.In my case 11.78 to 11.49 due to better 60' and better shifts (no wheel hop).No tune just drag radials + skinnies
Then back to street tires Thats were he lost me.

If your gonna go to the trouble of a track rental do it right or Don't do it at all.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
His track MapleGrove in PA is 200’ above sea level. Did not see him mention temps or DA? Looks about right for e85 gains. His last couple runs had pretty much zero wheel spin and dead hook through the gears. They must have glued the track for him.

I had shitty prep (2700 DA & 15 mph headwinds) and spun bad 1-2, 2-3 on 275’s ps4 everytime. Must be nice... lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brucelinc

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
His track MapleGrove in PA is 200’ above sea level. Did not see him mention temps or DA? Looks about right for e85 gains. His last couple runs had pretty much zero wheel spin and dead hook through the gears. They must have glued the track for him.

I had shitty prep (2700 DA & 15 mph headwinds) and spun bad 1-2, 2-3 on 275’s ps4 everytime. Must be nice... lol.
At the end of the video, he said the DA was 1200. He also indicated that it had gotten worse throughout the day so apparently, it was lower when he was running stock and with the 93 tune.

Those 20" Goodyears must hook pretty well....or, as you say, the track had VHT for the starting line and a good distance down the strip. The key thing that I took from this video was that if you are going to tune, get the E85 tune. It doesn't seem that a 93 tune does much for quicker times.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
A few comments on this AM video:

Those Goodyear tires must be pretty darn good. There is no way I could run on stock Pirellis without devastating wheel hop on the 1-2 shift. The Goodyears in the video seemed to hook decently although I think I heard a bit of hop with them. I think he should have kept the drag radials on the car with the E85 tune. The video seemed to imply that the drag radials slowed the car down. I have seen that happen when someone uses tires that are much taller than stock thus hurting the effective gearing. We don't know if the car in the video had the 3.15 or the 3.55. In any case, with the right tires, I think he would have run better with the E85 tune in the car.

As I have suspected, the 93 octane tune barely made a difference on the drag strip. These 2018+ Coyotes are already pretty highly tuned on 93 from the factory. It takes a dedicated E85 tune or a tune for race fuel to take them to the next level. Tuners can tweak the transmission and maybe change the power curve a bit with 93 but the ultimate drag strip results do not show much improvement with just 93.

Track prep, DA and driver technique all vary so it is difficult to really compare timeslips of different cars at different tracks with different drivers. This video came as close to making reasonable comparisons as any I have seen. It is also pretty apparent that these stock 2018+ cars with the A10 are the real deal right off the showroom floor.
I had better luck with my 255 Pirelli's. Ran a bit quicker than AM did.
Sponsored