Stinky screen wash

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I'd like to dump out my screen wash to cleanse the bacteria growing in there (and hopefully eliminate the smell). Currently I plan to syphon out as much as possible and spray out the remainder. I'm wondering if there's a better way though?

Once drained, I'm reckoning boiling water with a couple purification tabs ought to do the trick. If I leave that to marinate for a couple hours, then drain out again and refill with screen wash, Bob's your uncle, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
If you mean windshield wiper reservoir…. Flush with white vinegar
I guess we have different terminology across the pond. White vinegar then. Very good. Is there a better way to dump it out do you know?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
What is it you had in there that would promote bacteria and actually "Smell"?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
What is it you had in there that would promote bacteria and actually "Smell"?
Water. Stagnant water + heat = Bacteria. Kind of the fundamental prerequisites for life to exist. I reckon a greater concentration of screen wash ought to put paid to that going forward.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Water. Stagnant water + heat = Bacteria. Kind of the fundamental prerequisites for life to exist. I reckon a greater concentration of screen wash ought to put paid to that going forward.
We usually use a light mixture of methanol with our washer fluid. 99% of us just purchase it pre-mixed by the gallon for a few dollars. Never smells, never grows organisms. :)

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
We usually use a light mixture of methanol with our washer fluid. 99% of us just purchase it pre-mixed by the gallon for a few dollars. Never smells, never grows organisms. :)
Sure, yeah. I haven't had to top up the screen wash since buying the car so I can't be sure what was in the reservoir to begin with but the evidence would suggest the last owner just topped up with plain old water.

Prevention isn't an issue; it's one of the functions of screen wash. But I have to resolve the problem first. I literally just want to know if there's a better way to dump out the reservoir than my current plan.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Tom, your plan sounds solid. I'd use a syphon pump to drain the reservoir and flush with vinegar/water mixture to clean it out.

Bob's your uncle, right?
How did you know I have an uncle Bob?!? 😮🙃

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Unplug the hose from the washer fluid tank instead of removing the tank to dump it and it will drain out. Reconnect the hose, fill It with white vinegar and hot water, run the sprayer for 5-10 seconds to flush out the entire line set, then unplug the hose on the tank again and drain it. Fill the tank with your favorite windshield washer fluid and you’re all set.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If there is visible mold or mildew in the bottle - even a vinegar rinse won't kill it.

Best suggestion I can offer is remove the bottle, plug the hose outlet on it - fill with a 70/30 mix of bleach/water (or toilet bowl cleaner believe it or not), with top capped shake it vigorously, then let it sit for a good 30 mins. After it sits soaking, throughly rinse the bottle with hot water and make sure all mold/mildew is gone from the interior before reinstalling.

Use a good windshield washer solution going forward to avoid that from happening again.

OP
OP
Tom777

Tom777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Unplug the hose from the washer fluid tank instead of removing the tank to dump it and it will drain out. Reconnect the hose, fill It with white vinegar and hot water, run the sprayer for 5-10 seconds to flush out the entire line set, then unplug the hose on the tank again and drain it. Fill the tank with your favorite windshield washer fluid and you’re all set.
Of course. Don't know why this didn't occur to me. Thanks. Assuming it's easy enough to get to I reckon that'll save me some labour.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Of course. Don't know why this didn't occur to me. Thanks. Assuming it's easy enough to get to I reckon that'll save me some labour.
NP. Yes, it’s pretty easy to access. Turn the wheels either left or right, remove the pins in the wheel well cover and pull the front portion of the cover back. That should be enough room to work.

I just had my washer fluid tank completely off of the car a couple of months ago. I actually removed my wheel and wheel well cover to facilitate doing some other work.
Sponsored