Stickshift - Skipping gears best way?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I am new to stick, and looking for input on how you do something.

If I am in 6th gear, and I want to drop it to 4th gear, would you:

1) Return the stick to the "center" position and then down to select 4th
2) "Drag" the stick along the grooves left of 6th and over to 4th

Before real practice with this, I thought it would make most sense to guide the stick along the edges of the gate to downshift.
In practice it seems like that it's easier and safer to return the stick to center first and then select the new gear (I missed 4th once and went to 2nd).

But I am not sure if with time/practice which is the best method.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Initially, I'd say that you'd want to allow the stick to return to the center position (easier done with a good shifter, like the MGW), then move it into gear. Eventually, with practice, it'll end up being one, fluid motion.

JR

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It's a developed skill. Don't use the 'braille method', learned motor skills will develop and you will find the gear with respect to the gear you are in naturally. Takes time.

Sit in the car and roll through the gears with clutch engaged and engine off. That is the best means IMHO of learning. then hit the road and start slow. Note speed and RPM when upshifting. Wind the car out to 6000 or 7000 rpm in a given gear and note what the MPH is. Any speed above that level is obviously not a good rate to be traveling should you desire to seek that gear in a downshift. The speeds for shift point will be different depending on gear ratio in the diff.

Have fun and just don't seek 2nd at 80mph regardless of what gear is in the diff.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've accidentally back-shifted to 3rd instead of 5th. The point is to never just dump the clutch.
as soon as your ears pick up that the RPMs are going higher than you expected, you can still recover. 6->4 is a very slight move. If you're consciously trying to move the stick over to 4, you're very likely to hit 2.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
+1 to all that ^^

MGW will make your life even better, but the stock shifter isn't bad to get started. It's very easy especially with rev matching. Missing a gear is easy if you rush or just ham-fist it by chance too. We've all done it.

Time and repetitions - 3/4 should be easy once you get the feel of the neutral area, you'll be grabbing gears like a pro in no time. Have fun with it!

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
MGW shifter is a great item. Wouldn't own a manual shift Mustang without putting one in it. Won't do a bit of good if you don't first develop the skill. As the say in golf, you can't buy the game.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks for all the advice and input everyone! It really helps. I have been practicing in the driveway to get it down, and I am definitely being careful with it until I feel 100% comfortable. I will stop thinking about the "braille" method now! Appreciate it!

I only know one other guy at my work who drives stick, so not a lot of options for me to pick peoples brains in real life. Appreciate this forum.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Thanks for all the advice and input everyone! It really helps. I have been practicing in the driveway to get it down, and I am definitely being careful with it until I feel 100% comfortable. I will stop thinking about the "braille" method now! Appreciate it!

I only know one other guy at my work who drives stick, so not a lot of options for me to pick peoples brains in real life. Appreciate this forum.
And, although not a shifter comment, I have an 18 GT performance pack car with the 6-speed and the clutch that comes in the 18-19 is probably the most forgiving and easiest clutch of any stick car I've ever owned. That should make your life considerably easier as you develop your skill with it. I'm up north/midwest too, and spring weather's creeping up on us, so I'm sneaking out to get used to my new Mantic clutch and break it in so I can flog it ASAP!

Guarded15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I am new to stick, and looking for input on how you do something.

If I am in 6th gear, and I want to drop it to 4th gear, would you:

1) Return the stick to the "center" position and then down to select 4th
2) "Drag" the stick along the grooves left of 6th and over to 4th

Before real practice with this, I thought it would make most sense to guide the stick along the edges of the gate to downshift.
In practice it seems like that it's easier and safer to return the stick to center first and then select the new gear (I missed 4th once and went to 2nd).

But I am not sure if with time/practice which is the best method.
Dissenting opinion here. Do not skip gears. It's harder on all the equipment. Blip it into 5th then again down into 4th. You are asking the synchros to do smaller velocity changes and spreading that over two synchros. As far as muscle memory goes it's easier to nail a regular rev-matched downshift to 5th then another to 4th than an abnormal one from 6th to 4th. If you are doing those right you aren't wearing your clutch.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
manual transmissions have been "abused" by skipping gears for many decades and unless the engineer is a twat, or the driver a bigger one, there is no harm done. Depending on road and traffic I frequently do 1-2-4, 1-2-3-5 or just 1-3-5.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
If you are shifting slow enough the Rev-Match will help you notice if you select the wrong gear before selecting it. You'll hear the motor do a massive rev and you'll have time to put it in the correct gear.

I don't see doing 6th to 4th or 3rd skipping gears as a horrible thing. I rarely hit "every gear" on the way down. I do on the way up just out of habit. With the Rev-Match on the 19's it is really hard to jolt the clutch/drivetrain on a downshift.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I also manually rev match when going from gear to gear even though the computers trying to do it for me. I like doing it myself lol...

I drop from 6-3 and 6-4 or 5-3 fairly commonly and simply rev match into a smooth downshift. I don't think it hurts anything at all and it's the point of having a manual trans - selecting what you want to be in/when you want it. You'll get more reps going gear to gear but honestly, the only difference (assuming you're shifting into an appropriate gear) is you'll give it a little more gas before/as you're engaging the clutch. Good times!

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Drive the car and get a feel for it and shifting gears. Let you and the car become one. This is no joke. It's what all competitive drivers know......For sure, it will take a few miles, but before you know it, you will be shifting fine. The 19's with the Rev Match are nice, but if you know what you are doing, don't need it. I've got 350 miles on my 19 and the downshifts are as smooth as silk...…….learn and feel the car.

Good Luck

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! This was almost as bad as asking "which oil"? :cwl:
well, clearly we need to have a discussion about the choice of tranny oil and change interval and how it effects smoothness of gear changes. :devil:
(ed. please don't)
Sponsored