Steering Wheel Vibration

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Guys I got a little concerned the other day as I have noticed that at speeds between about 25 and 70 I get noticeable vibration (both in feel and visibly) in the steering wheel. I did check the forum and I could find posts about engine and driveshaft vibration as well as about steering wheel play nothing that seems to match what I am talking about.

Is this normal with the car?
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Guys I got a little concerned the other day as I have noticed that at speeds between about 25 and 70 I get noticeable vibration (both in feel and visibly) in the steering wheel. I did check the forum and I could find posts about engine and driveshaft vibration as well as about steering wheel play nothing that seems to match what I am talking about.

Is this normal with the car?
No. Did you bend a wheel? Maybe a weight came off? Are all the lugs light?

Are you on staten island? I saw a grabber blue GT350 yesterday heading to the mall.

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No. Did you bend a wheel? Maybe a weight came off? Are all the lugs light?

Are you on staten island? I saw a grabber blue GT350 yesterday heading to the mall.
That was definitely me then, I haven't seen another on the island let alone in the same color as me. I did venture into the city yesterday and I also go to NJ fairly often. Where are you based then (pm me if you prefer)???

I have not hit anything or had anything happen to make me think of a cause for the wheel shake, it is also a relatively new thing as I don't remember it being present when I first picked her up. I will take a video of it for reference tonight and try to add to this thread, I guess I will need to take her in to get looked at. I was hoping to just take in the one time to deal with the recall, oil change and anything else all in one shot.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah I would recommend you go to the dealer. Something is wrong. It would be interesting to know whether the vibration changes when you push in the clutch, step on the brakes, or turn a corner.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The Ford people say the vibration is characteristic of the car, i call it a defect! I'm convinced nothing will fix it. I wonder why Ford is spending the money on all these attempt fixes when its obvious they don't repair vibration defect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Ford people say the vibration is characteristic of the car, i call it a defect! I'm convinced nothing will fix it. I wonder why Ford is spending the money on all these attempt fixes when its obvious they don't repair vibration defect.
I did wonder if it is just 'part of the driving experience' for this car......

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Did you bend a wheel? Maybe a weight came off? Are all the lugs light?
You're line of thinking is spot on. Each one of these potential issues should be ruled out if at all possible.

Vibration is a characteristic of the unique design of the engine, more specifically, the reciprocating assembly. There is no "defect" per se.

GTgamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millennium Buzard
Just be happy that you don't have the dreaded death wobble that all us lucky people get after spending 70k on a pickup truck from FORD. NOW THAT WILL GET YOUR ATTENTION!!! First time it happened to me I think I cut some additional ventilation holes in my new king ranch leather, and let me tell you it happens fairly often. But after a couple of years I just deal with it as FORD SAYS IT IS NORMAL!!!!

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
You're line of thinking is spot on. Each one of these potential issues should be ruled out if at all possible.

Vibration is a characteristic of the unique design of the engine, more specifically, the reciprocating assembly. There is no "defect" per se.
I never owned a car that has a driveline vibration like this one does, it's a design DEFECT.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure what you are talking about, there is no driveline vibration... not on mine. Engine vibration above 5000 rpms yes, but no driveline. Something must be wrong with the wheels/tires , something is out of balance.

Sponsored

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
I am not sure what you are talking about, there is no driveline vibration... not on mine. Engine vibration above 5000 rpms yes, but no driveline. Something must be wrong with the wheels/tires , something is out of balance.
Ditto......

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
No vibrations on my driveline, solid and stable at all speeds. Your car needs to be looked at.

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My car was looked at many so called Ford professionals. They all felt the vibration but none could pin point the cause. Ford says its a characteristic of the car but replaced the D/S twice and the differential once. They also issued a SSM that addresses the problem. These actions are acknowledging that the cars have a vibration problem. Maybe you guys don't experience this cause you have the GT's but I felt it in every V-6 & 4 cyl I have driven, and it gets worse with the cars age. Maybe you all have some vib and don't recognize it or you drive on ruff roads or maybe the vib is in you future. But since some owners have reduced the vib by tinkering with the driveline components and Ford SSM its obvious the problem is a driveline design DEFECT.
Sponsored