Steering wheel options

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
What does anyone know / recommend about aftermarket steering wheels available in the UK/EU?

I like the GT350R style but some of the aftermarket ones on EBay look better than the more expensive OEM model.

The aftermarket ones seem to be built around the same frame as they often have a similar sized barcode on them in the pictures. I wonder if they are buying genuine Ford wheels and re-skinning them or whether they get the metal bits from China?

Anyone have inside knowledge on the subject?

Cheers
David
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There is a difference on eBay ones. They don’t have vibration dampening and such. I read about someone who regretted them. Looked nice felt nice but sucked driving with it

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
I got one from Ebay.

Ebay steering Wheel

It arrived as a plain wheel and I had to swap over all the dampening weights, switches, trims, flappy paddles, etc. from old wheel to new wheel .

Feels great, certainly a lot chunkier than the standard wheel, more sculpted too.
Obviously with it being carbon, it is a lot lighter than the standard one as well, so does not feel like a re-trimmed one, but a fresh built one.

Only downside is that I lost the heated steering wheel function, but never used that apart from once when I first got the car, so don't miss it.

Certainly no untoward vibrations or anything, when driving, but like I said I had to move all the dampening weights from old one to new one.

wheel.jpg

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Had a wheel retrimmed by “royalsteeringwheels” for my 2017 also fitted a GT350R to my 2015

Sponsored

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Thanks for the ideas.

The genuine GT350R wheel uses Alcantara which is an artificial suede. I've read is doesn't last, but I wonder how bad it is. e.g. worn out after 10K or 100K?

Has anyone tried the products from autofun_extreme on ebay?
They look good quality (German) with the option to customise materials and colour.

They are more "sculptured" that the OEM version. Is that comfortable for everyday driving?

Cheers
David

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a custom wheel for my MX-5 from meinlenkrad you also have guardiandesign to maybe make one.

I have not opened the box yet but the ones I have seen from meinlenkrad have all looked great. Will do a review as soon as I install it.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Has anyone tried the products from autofun_extreme on ebay?
They look good quality (German) with the option to customise materials and colour.

They are more "sculptured" that the OEM version. Is that comfortable for everyday driving?

Cheers
David
I'd have some concern regarding what the quality of the underlying material/metal is when getting a new steering wheel from who-knows-where. I'm sure there are some safety specs the OEM wheels have to adhere to regarding e.g. what happens in a crash and whether they splinter into a handful of sharp pieces or not, while I have no idea how the countless wheels out of China adhere to anything like that.

I have not tried this particular wheel, but I note that one can order directly from them (https://autofun-extreme.eu/en/vi-2014-/1993-steering-wheel-fit-to-ford-mustang-6-vi.html) at roughly half the price, though you then need to send them back your original steering wheel.

I'm guessing it means they re-use your steering wheel for the next customer (though obviously not for all customers, since the ebay listing does not require you to send back your own wheel), which I think is an interesting idea. I'd think this would also mean they may not mind receiving your own steering wheel first and do their work on that, rather than on some other wheel someone has sent them from a random Mustang. Quoted turn-around time of 4-5 days for the work also sounds good to me, and they have a lot of customising options on their own website too.

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
I have one on order and have been corresponding on the detail. You are quite right. My one is being made by reupholstering a new OEM wheel as I like to keep all the parts in case a future owner doesn't share my taste! You make a good point about splintering but this company doesn't do the carbon fibre versions - just leather, suede and Alcantara.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I have one on order and have been corresponding on the detail. You are quite right. My one is being made by reupholstering a new OEM wheel as I like to keep all the parts in case a future owner doesn't share my taste! You make a good point about splintering but this company doesn't do the carbon fibre versions - just leather, suede and Alcantara.
With my exquisite taste I obviously do not have to worry about some future owner's taste, but I
do understand your concerns.

Please update us when you get your new wheel, as I am interested too and I like the way they have laid out so many options and (presumably) allow me to use my own wheel for the work.

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
I used Royal Steering Wheels as well and cant fault them.
Sponsored