Steeda Clutch Spring Alternate Installation Procedure

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
I ordered the Steeda clutch spring and perch kit and watched quite a few install videos and felt confident to tackle the task. Once I got under there, I realized I didn't have the grip strength to clamp the vice grips down around the stock spring. To be fair I am a lady. So after some swearing and brainstorming I decided to use two 1 inch metal hose clamps around the spring loops to compress them. I threaded the clamps around the loops of the spring and tightened them down with a right angle drill and extension. That compressed the spring enough that I was able pull the stock perch and spring out. The stock perch ended up being perfectly fine but since I had the Steeda one I replaced it.

Hope my solution helps someone else.
Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I ordered the Steeda clutch spring and perch kit and watched quite a few install videos and felt confident to tackle the task. Once I got under there, I realized I didn't have the grip strength to clamp the vice grips down around the stock spring. To be fair I am a lady. So after some swearing and brainstorming I decided to use two 1 inch metal hose clamps around the spring loops to compress them. I threaded the clamps around the loops of the spring and tightened them down with a right angle drill and extension. That compressed the spring enough that I was able pull the stock perch and spring out. The stock perch ended up being perfectly fine but since I had the Steeda one I replaced it.

Hope my solution helps someone else.
I thought Ladies didn't swear? :sunglasses: LOL <JK>

Very creative..... Glad you got it installed & hope you enjoy the change.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
And Nicole ... after your hard work, what are your thoughts?

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
Nice work! I just swapped the spring today. I pushed the clutch to the floor and popped it out with a screwdriver. Guess what? I partially broke the oem perch. Still usable for the time being. The clutch has smooth action, but now feels like it has a weird free play at the top. After reading reviews, I ordered up the Steeda perch. From what I read this fixes that feeling. Still wish I tried the vise grip or hose clamp method.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Nice work! I just swapped the spring today. I pushed the clutch to the floor and popped it out with a screwdriver. Guess what? I partially broke the oem perch. Still usable for the time being. The clutch has smooth action, but now feels like it has a weird free play at the top. After reading reviews, I ordered up the Steeda perch. From what I read this fixes that feeling. Still wish I tried the vise grip or hose clamp method.
Did the vise grip method, still broke the perch a bit, but it was ok enough to be put back (I cheaped out and ordered spring only). I can confirm some wobble at the top too, good to know steeda perch could fix it.

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
Did the vise grip method, still broke the perch a bit, but it was ok enough to be put back (I cheaped out and ordered spring only). I can confirm some wobble at the top too, good to know steeda perch could fix it.
I will let you know to confirm once I receive it and get it installed.

OP
OP
nms_1122

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
And Nicole ... after your hard work, what are your thoughts?
Totally a night and day difference! I can finally feel the clutch engage through my foot. Much smoother shifts and starts.
Sponsored