Blitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP w/Perfomance
Kooks header+corsa extreme + no cats + steeda cai + tint + no front plate

So i was cruising down the road, made a right turn and got pulled over. The CVPD officer states... "You made that right turn really fast, where you headed?"

Back and forth license and reg. then he asked me to step out and pop the hood... He says "good ol Kooks!" tells me to get in the car and he takes about a half hour to write the citation.

I'm not too happy about taking the exhaust uninstalling my headers... I would have to pull my tint... find a way to reinstall my broken sto n sho or front plate bracket...

If I pay the outrageous fine.. would I be able to do so and leave my car the way it is?? I sold the xtremes.. getting a quieter system...

would i be "marked" or do i get away clean
Sponsored

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
That sucks, Tony. Sorry to hear it! :(

I found a post elsewhere by a stang driver who experienced this, in CA, this past April. It's better than random advice. Long, but maybe it will give you some insight/real-world advice. :shrug:

Since I am unable to post the site's link (I couldn't even PM it to you!) :confused:, try this:

Google "california got a ticket for loud exhaust. if i pay the fine do i have to remove"
Go to page 2.
Click on the top entry (as seen below). Read the first post then skip to post #30. (Sorry it's a pain, but the guy's post was too long to screenshot!)
image.jpg

Last edited:

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I was looking into going with big turbo + high flow catted downpipe on my Ecoboost, but my plans were thwarted by the laws in California. My understanding is if you get caught, you have to go to revert your car back to stock and go to the state ref to have your car inspected by the ref.

Let us know if you find another way around this.

CoyoteS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I went searching definitive answers on this a few months back. What I found is if you fix the items on the "fix-it" ticket and have an official sign off you still have to go to court and pay the court fees. BUT you have the option to pay the ticket in full and not change a thing.

bruinfan17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic GT
Not positive usually with a fix it ticket you revert back to stock and then have the ticket signed off. Followed by turning in the ticket and paying the fee around 35.00 atleast in Torrance. You can get the ticket signed off at CHP for free. In torrance if they come out to look and sign off your car they charge you an addition 35.00 I believe.

Sponsored

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Just for future ref, you don't have to pop the hood for anyone, they can bring there dogs out if they think you have drugs and that would be the only prob cause they would have

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I had a similar issue with Fontana, CA PD when driving my F150 about 3 years ago. Got ticketed for tinted front window, tinted windshield and no front license plate. My options where to pay the ticket for $195 and leave as is, or remove tint, add plate and pay $35 plus labor for removing tint. I planed on removing tint and adding plate for inspection and re-tinting back the way it was. I honestly do not like the tint law. I should be able to modify my vehicle to my licking but without obstructing my view and making it unsafe. I had medium on the front doors and light on windshield, so it wasn't too dark.
Price to remove and re-tint came out to $150 + $35 for fix-a-ticket. I didn't find it convenient to go thru the hassle and only save $10, so I just paid the ticket and moved on. I haven't had an issue since.:headbang:

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
i hit a grand slam this weekend as well.
speeding + tint + exhaust + plates
good luck with yours man

CoyoteS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Just for future ref, you don't have to pop the hood for anyone, they can bring there dogs out if they think you have drugs and that would be the only prob cause they would have
Keep in mind if they have enough probable cause to pull you over they will have enough probable cause to inspect the car for non-CARB parts. If you refuse to pop the hood the officer CAN have the car towed to the impound lot and inspect it there. If they find non-CARB parts you're on the hook for the towing and impound lot fees + a ticket. I think only a complete asshole would do this, BUT they can do it.

I had previously thought the 4th amendment covered whats under the hood too, but apparently in CA it does not. I have read and heard many horror stories with cops in these kinds of situations, it might be better to just pop the hood and pay the ticket.

BlackS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 black s550 PP
Keep in mind if they have enough probable cause to pull you over they will have enough probable cause to inspect the car for non-CARB parts. If you refuse to pop the hood the officer CAN have the car towed to the impound lot and inspect it there. If they find non-CARB parts you're on the hook for the towing and impound lot fees + a ticket. I think only a complete asshole would do this, BUT they can do it.

I had previously thought the 4th amendment covered whats under the hood too, but apparently in CA it does not. I have read and heard many horror stories with cops in these kinds of situations, it might be better to just pop the hood and pay the ticket.
same for rolling windows up to check tint? i made a joke that mine didnt roll up ..which it just pissed him off more lol but then i wondered how far i could have pushed that if i wanted

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
:lol:LOL for windows not rolling up, I tried that one and it didn't work. Better to play it nice and not push your luck. You gotta pay to play :cheers:

flying dutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.microseconds.com
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow GT / 1966 GT Convertable
I get a tinted window and no front plate ticket about once a year. I just pay the ticket and don't fix it and it seems to be OK that way. This makes me afraid to get a loud exhaust!

CoyoteS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I get a tinted window and no front plate ticket about once a year. I just pay the ticket and don't fix it and it seems to be OK that way. This makes me afraid to get a loud exhaust!
My exhaust ended up being louder than expected, and damn do I love it. Trick is to just be smart. When I see a cop I just pop the car in neutral and try to coast, or I put the car in "rain/snow" mode. In rain mode the throttle is restricted and reduces the noise quite a bit.

Bang Stang

Chicks love the BangStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sublime Hellcat Challenger 6m
Living in Cali sucks. But we all know it is a crap shoot when we choose to modify our car illegally. We all know there is a possibility of getting caught, yet we still take that chance. And it seems so unfair to see everyone else with crazy mods and wonder how the hell are they getting away with it. But unfortunately that is the name of the game and you take your chances like everyone else. Sorry about the ticket. Knock on wood I don't get mine anytime soon.

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
That's why I have went with QTP's electric cut outs. SW off road headers with stock resonators and mufflers. My plan originally was to just open them up on the track but I find myself always keeping them open unless the fuzz is around
Sponsored