Sponsored

Standard Mustang Seat for GT350R

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Anyone here install a standard Mustang S550 seat in their GT350R ? I’m thinking of using mine as daily driver now, and would like to remove the Recaros and save for track days. I would be ok with a manual adjusting seat, and I have no idea if there’s already a power cable or hookup in the GT350Rs from the factory to run a power adjusting seat. Looking to stay OEM because would like to have the airbags and no warning lights.
Sponsored

RRM350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I've been keeping an eye out for a set of manual GT500 leather seats, but most of the reasonably priced sets have been on the wrong coast.

Same as you I want to preserve the recaro's in mine and also get something a little easier to keep clean for daily driving while also retaining the airbag for safety.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My baby is going to be a DD! :( :) :)

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Not trying to be a jerk but is there some reason you feel like the Recaros aren't good for DD use? I drive my 350R to work (in a suit!) regularly and just came back from a road trip where I did 700+ miles a day several times with no problems at all in terms of the seat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ecoboost321

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Not trying to be a jerk but is there some reason you feel like the Recaros aren't good for DD use? I drive my 350R to work (in a suit!) regularly and just came back from a road trip where I did 700+ miles a day several times with no problems at all in terms of the seat.

I agree with you the GT350R Recaro seats have decent amount of padding in seat and back cushions for comfort. But I find I have to get in and out of car awkwardly to not crush the thigh bolsters. Also, the side bolsters are a bit tight for me on my lats. Now, during spirited street and track driving, the seat works great to keep me planted (along with 4pt harness). My worry is long term will wear out those areas (thigh and back bolsters) so might as well get a standard mustang GT seat to solve these problems for me. My car a few hundred miles short of 20,000. My last sports car, a 2007 911 Turbo, I put 78,000 miles before I sold her. Had standard leather seat, and drivers side/back bolster was pretty worn out.

Last edited:

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Ok I understand your motivations but keep in mind that fabric seats don't usually wear anything like leather, which shows cracks and marks a lot more easily. And the minimal usage your are suggesting isn't going to wear out your fabric and foam any time soon but I totally understand wanting to personalize a car and make it fit you better.

Jay Leno has non-Recaros in his R so maybe find his video review of it - I seem to recall him discussing the seat conversion.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
...But I find I have to get in and out of car awkwardly to not crush the thigh bolsters.
To avoid crushing the bolsters or wear from dragging over them, I put the seat all the way back before getting out. Gives me plenty of room to get out and then back in again later. Since the seats are manual, this only takes a second.

I'm not driving the car every day, but I don't think it would bother me even then. Just one of the things that goes along with owning this type of car and caring for it properly.
Sponsored