Sponsored

SSM 51811 - 2022 GT500 - Oil Leak From Valve Cover Spark Plug Tube and/or VCT Solenoid Seals

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
SSM 51811
IMG_4791.jpeg
Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
This was a topic had came up around March/Apr of '23.
Appears approx around the #3000 chassis car #, & higher on Shelby's. No idea exactly when its believed to have arised on Raptors.

Read ftom others doibg investigations that the 1st problem cars were getting 1 new valve cover, (for 1 bad seal) & then we heard of a case where a dealership tech had gotten hold of a somewhat proprietary tool, to help them install just the 1 new seal around the 1 leaking hole.

Surprisingly, an entirely new valve is around $200, per side. I expected hirer.

Been hard to get clarity as to whether its reject seals,
or improperly installed seals,
or if FoMoCo changed suppliers and the new design has issues. (Some thought the leakers were a different design, but I cannot verify that either.

Not enough info aggregated into 1 spot yet to get a real grasp on the root of the issue on Shelby's. I suspectits the samebon Raptors. As for the solenoid leak, that's a different issue than what we are speaking to.
Our GT500 was built before the problem numbers in 2022 production & it appears to have carried into the next yr Raptors now.

Thks for posting.

Theres no TSB on the low DCT fluid levels yet either, but most 500's are between a pint to a quart+ low from Flat Rock.

Jack1.1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 HE, 2022 Shelby GT500 White
My early car (June build), chassis #1350 is right now in the shop for the drivers side oil leak. The dealer said there are parts to order and a new TSB on this. I will follow up once I get the car back.

GT-DM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Redd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 & other heaps
My early car (June build), chassis #1350 is right now in the shop for the drivers side oil leak. The dealer said there are parts to order and a new TSB on this. I will follow up once I get the car back.
Have they told you if they are going to order/replacement 1 entire valve cover?
Or just replace 1 of the 4 seals in question?

Assuming your issue is not around the occurrence of a leaking solenoid seal,
& is in fact 1 of the 4 spark plug seals, per bank. & not an actual valve cover sealing surface leak.

None of which are easily diagnosed by just seeing the oil leak.

We have a sub ~750 Gt500 chassis #, from '22.

Please let us know what you discover.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Theres no TSB on the low DCT fluid levels yet either, but most 500's are between a pint to a quart+ low from Flat Rock.
This is an issue with the 10R80 auto trans in the Mach/GT/Eco as well. Dealers will check and fill ā€œfree of chargeā€ under warranty if requested (and as long as youā€™re still under warranty).

They really should put something about it, I think thereā€™s more than enough examples of low fluid fills from FRAP to warrant it (Iā€™m assuming that is also the case with the DCT).

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
This is an issue with the 10R80 auto trans in the Mach/GT/Eco as well. Dealers will check and fill ā€œfree of chargeā€ under warranty if requested (and as long as youā€™re still under warranty).

They really should put something about it, I think thereā€™s more than enough examples of low fluid fills from FRAP to warrant it (Iā€™m assuming that is also the case with the DCT).
Great points!

Perhaps things have changed, but as of 3 or 4 months ago, most 500 owners were topping them off themselves, as Ford didn't seem to have the "ambition" to do so, ir recognize the dct issue.

Most put tje car up on lift, or quick jacks. Removing a site plug, on the 9070 case, that is used you top off the trans level,
w/$90 a quart fluid.

The 10R80 has an accessible dip stick location, yes?

I used to thk buying ~$25 per quart coolant & lubricant, for our 10hp rotary screw compressor, (aka: screw blower) was a bit excessive.

Especially when the World's Quickest & fastest Screw blowers,

(referring to Norm -RIP- Drazy,'s PSI brand, hollow laminated rotor masterpiece,
that pummeled Whipple into tapping out in Professional racing)

had only required $6qrt Mobil 1 syn 5W-20wt

We ran a John Deere brand hydraulic oil @$12 qrt, in the Bruno Converter Drives, like those powering ~4000hp Pro Mods.

Maybe if we brought in our own $90 a Qrt DCT fluid, might they then put it on lift & top it off..?? šŸ¤”

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Great points!

Perhaps things have changed, but as of 3 or 4 months ago, most 500 owners were topping them off themselves, as Ford didn't seem to have the "ambition" to do so, ir recognize the dct issue.

Most put tje car up on lift, or quick jacks. Removing a site plug, on the 9070 case, that is used you top off the trans level,
w/$90 a quart fluid.

The 10R80 has an accessible dip stick location, yes?

I used to thk buying ~$25 per quart coolant & lubricant, for our 10hp rotary screw compressor, (aka: screw blower) was a bit excessive.

Especially when the World's Quickest & fastest Screw blowers,

(referring to Norm -RIP- Drazy,'s PSI brand, hollow laminated rotor masterpiece,
that pummeled Whipple into tapping out in Professional racing)

had only required $6qrt Mobil 1 syn 5W-20wt

We ran a John Deere brand hydraulic oil @$12 qrt, in the Bruno Converter Drives, like those powering ~4000hp Pro Mods.

Maybe if we brought in our own $90 a Qrt DCT fluid, might they then put it on lift & top it off..?? šŸ¤”
Hmm, that seems like even if there wasnā€™t a TSB if you felt like your trans was low on fluid they should check and fill if you ask them to. The 10R80 shifts hard and just doesnā€™t behave normally when low on fluid, I assume the DCT acts the same way when low? And it should be covered under the powertrain warranty so you donā€™t have to come out of pocket $90. Finding a dealer that stocks the DCT fluid might be harder to find.

The 10R80 is a pain in the ass to access as far as checking levels. Itā€™s doable but Iā€™d rather have Fordā€™s trans tech burn his arm than me šŸ˜‚. I canā€™t speak to the DCT, but my dealer was aware of the 10R80 not being full from FRAP so they werenā€™t surprised when I asked them to check mine. I was a little over a quart low from factory (2022 build).

Jack1.1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 HE, 2022 Shelby GT500 White
Have they told you if they are going to order/replacement 1 entire valve cover?
Or just replace 1 of the 4 seals in question?

We have a sub ~750 Gt500 chassis #, from '22.

Please let us know what you discover.
both valve covers were replaced due to a leak from drivers side.

KR3Z*6582*G Cover - Cylinder head
KR3Z*6582*E Cover - Cylinder head

A fair amount of oil dripped out, made a mess according to the tech who cleaned it up. It dripped into the belly pan.
Sponsored