Sponsored

Spitballing a remote controlled spoiler idea...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So, I really like the idea of a spoiler (a functional one that provides a lot of downforce, not one of the many cosmetic ones) but at the same time I know there is a tradeoff when it comes to aero drag. This got me thinking... What if I bought a spoiler and had the height remote controlled/toggled? I was thinking using an actuator to do so. Something like this: [ame]

Has anyone done something similar?
Sponsored

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
An interesting idea. I have been looking at the Audi and Porsche decklid spoiler that activate with speed. Not as big or probably effective but, would be pretty sweet.
[ame]

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
An interesting idea. I have been looking at the Audi and Porsche decklid spoiler that activate with speed. Not as big or probably effective but, would be pretty sweet.
Exactly!

I was thinking of buying a spoiler like the Steeda Race or an APR one and just using the top wing portion and the actuators as the mounts.

Something like this:

feedback_actuator.png

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Nice! How extended would you like the actuator to lift the spoiler and would it be a fixed angle of attach or allow for varying degrees? For the fastback, this set up would keep the line clean and look OEM.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Check out the Porsche Panamera spoiler. That thing is insane! Not suggesting you do something like that for the Mustang but in the world of actuated spoilers, I would say that one takes the cake!

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Here you go.
Porsche Panamera.jpg

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Nice! How extended would you like the actuator to lift the spoiler and would it be a fixed angle of attach or allow for varying degrees? For the fastback, this set up would keep the line clean and look OEM.
I think I would do a fixed angle like that FR-S video. As far as how high, not sure. 10-14 inches? I really like the clean look of how the FR-S did it.

Check out the Porsche Panamera spoiler. That thing is insane! Not suggesting you do something like that for the Mustang but in the world of actuated spoilers, I would say that one takes the cake!
That one definitely looks sick! And expensive lol.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Yup, a ton of things that can go wrong with complex systems. Simple servos, even sticking with a manual switch for activation can keep this a real idea. Not sure you have to go that high but being able to change the angle of attach would make a greater impact than the height.

OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yup, a ton of things that can go wrong with complex systems. Simple servos, even sticking with a manual switch for activation can keep this a real idea. Not sure you have to go that high but being able to change the angle of attach would make a greater impact than the height.
Yeah, I am just not sure about complexity since I am not well versed in this stuff. Might do a fixed angle but it slightly turned down and just go up and down.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Someone been watching some James Bond lately?

Sponsored
OP
OP
daltron

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Someone been watching some James Bond lately?
I'm SC'd, I have more than enough power for a spoiler that provides a high level of down force, but I don't need that down force 90% of the time so I want something adjustable.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Want Weight reduction nor weight increasing

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Well as long as you don't make it out of lead, the extra weight is more than compensated by the downforce at speed. [ame]. Having something that does not look cartoonish all the time is priceless.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Instead of one that raised up and down, how about one that changed the angle of attack instead? That way you could take advantage of the wing creating down force when needed and less angle of attack to reduce drag and increase efficiency at other times.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Instead of one that raised up and down, how about one that changed the angle of attack instead? That way you could take advantage of the wing creating down force when needed and less angle of attack to reduce drag and increase efficiency at other times.
Exactly, adjust if you're at the track and put it back when driving on the street.
Sponsored