Sponsored

Speculation on how many years the GT500 (S550) will be produced?

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
How many years will they make the GT500? The new S650 is on the horizon. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Two year program.

Doesn't make economic sense. Losing 2019 MY hurt.

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
2-3 years. Will they build a convertible GT500?

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
2 or 3 years. Probably 2 years.

They may end up being pretty rare cars.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Everyone said 2 years on the 350 here we are on year 4.5. it will only end with the new platform and even then one variety will carry on.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Everyone said 2 years on the 350 here we are on year 4.5. it will only end with the new platform and even then one variety will carry on.
2020 will be the last year for the GT350.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I say 2 years but the worst part is that, you can't get any dealer because they're to mike with ADM markup. Basically, Ford will be the looser here. 2 years of low sales. Unless, Ford controls the greedy dealers, like Dodge did with Hellcat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I say 2 years but the worst part is that, you can't get any dealer because they're to mike with ADM markup. Basically, Ford will be the looser here. 2 years of low sales. Unless, Ford controls the greedy dealers, like Dodge did with Hellcat.
I believe that Ford will sell every GT500 they make. Some of the cars may sit for a year or possibly multiple years on dealer lots if the dealers are overly ambitious asking for super high ADMs, but the cars will sell.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm gonna guess 3 years. late 2020 (fall 2019)start, then go thru 22 (late year 2021)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Til the next gen comes out.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
This has been the worst thing I’ve seen from Ford, their dealers are so greedy. If it’s not limited production they should do the same thing dodge did and say “we’ll build as many as people want”! In the hopes that the honest, fair dealers get and sell the GT500’s, while the greedy ones sit on there’s.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This has been the worst thing I’ve seen from Ford, their dealers are so greedy. If it’s not limited production they should do the same thing dodge did and say “we’ll build as many as people want”! In the hopes that the honest, fair dealers get and sell the GT500’s, while the greedy ones sit on there’s.
Yeah, Ford really should put some effort into controlling this - dealers are "authorized resellers", they've under certain contractual obligations to get product, get comp'ed for things like warranty service, they should be easily reigned in. You don't see first tier resellers in other industries doing this (it's generally an end consumer buying and reselling the current hot toy/video game/concert ticket). At the very least put a cap on it, say 5% to __maybe__ 10% of MSRP for vehicles with production under a certain amount per year, the "limited availability markup".

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm sure it would be nice to have the dealer sell the car cheap, then the people who initially get GT500s can turn around and sell for a profit. In your opinion, does the word "greedy" apply to a car owner who tries to sell it for as much as possible? Or does that word only apply when a dealer tries to do it?

Yeah, Ford really should put some effort into controlling this - dealers are "authorized resellers", they've under certain contractual obligations to get product, get comp'ed for things like warranty service, they should be easily reigned in. You don't see first tier resellers in other industries doing this (it's generally an end consumer buying and reselling the current hot toy/video game/concert ticket). At the very least put a cap on it, say 5% to __maybe__ 10% of MSRP for vehicles with production under a certain amount per year, the "limited availability markup".
I can understand why Ford allows the dealers some freedom. Many cars have to be sold under MSRP. Business can be tough. Ford lets the dealers figure out the best way to make money. If certain dealers go out of business, that shows they were doing it wrong. We all have the freedom to avoid those dealers that ask more than MSRP for cars. If no one ever bought from them, they would go out of business. So far the strategy seems to work fine for many dealers. So much so that some dealers buy cars from other dealers and then ship the cars across the country and ask for more money. Part of the problem is there are always new buyers and/or people with lots of cash that don't care about the ADM. They buy the car anyway even though they understand they are being charged extra money for it.

I'm not saying I like it, but I am saying that I prefer freedom over the alternative. And I do think dealers deserve the first opportunity to milk extra money out of their cars, rather than the first set of owners becoming resellers.
Sponsored