The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi guys, two part query please:

1. MY 2019 GT PP1 (Brembos) comes with the inflator pack. How useful have you found it to be compared to having a spare wheel (either space saver or full size)?

2. If I opt to get a spare wheel, I've read that you can't put them on the front due to the Brembos? Does this only apply to a space saver wheel?

Never used an inflator kit before so I'm tending to think I'll get a spare wheel of some sort as that is what I'm used to.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1

1. MY 2019 GT PP1 (Brembos) comes with the inflator pack. How useful have you found it to be compared to having a spare wheel (either space saver or full size)?

2. If I opt to get a spare wheel, I've read that you can't put them on the front due to the Brembos? Does this only apply to a space saver wheel?

Never used an inflator kit before so I'm tending to think I'll get a spare wheel of some sort as that is what I'm used to.

Thank you.
I bought a kit of 4 rubber plugs with tool for about $10 on Amazon. Those paired with the inflator has not only saved my behind a couple times but a coworker’s too when his truck got a bad nail. That’s what I would go with, but I have heard that in order to clear the brembos up front you would have to get a specific kind of spare tire, can’t remember what kind directly off the top of my head. Just keep that in mind.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Any idea how long a tyre would last using the inflator kit (distance wise)?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The inflator itself is useful, but the goo is basically a dice roll. If you have a PP1 car, you should get the automotive authority spare tire kit. It's pricey with the included tools, but it will always work. And it clears the brembos up front.

Davo77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT

Thank you.
Don, I have a similar car to you and as I do most of my driving in the country I decided that carrying a spare was the only acceptable option for me. For our cars with the 255/40/19 front and 275/40/19 rears I make the following points:
- a space-saver is a good option as it will fit in the spare wheel well in the boot (trunk)
- a space-saver is available that will fit over the front brakes, so it can be put on front or rear. Not all space-savers will fit the front.
- a rear wheel will not fit on the front without using a spacer.
- a front wheel will fit on the rear.
- a front wheel will fit in the spare wheel well in the boot, however it sits proud of the floor by about 3”
- a rear wheel will not fit in the spare wheel well due to its slightly greater diameter.
I carry a full size front as a spare and tolerate the reduced boot (trunk) space.
I hope this helps.
Dave.
These cars are a blast!

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
There's an 11 page thread in the Bullitt forum going on (and on and on and on) about spare tires versus the inflators. Few people like the tire goop inflators.

As the Bullitt has the Bembro front brakes, there's a lot of addressing the "What kind of spare?" question. Shakes out to around 3 options:
  1. I got and like the Automotive Authority spare ($400 tire / $500 with jack), a temporary spare that fits into the spare tire well, allows the trunk floor to lay flat, and goes on any wheel on the car without an adapter or spacer. Important for overseas folks (who have a disk style LSD instead of a Torsen) is that the outside diameter is very close to that of the standard rear wheel. Link: https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....ang-gt-with-brembo-brakes?variant=35757212297
  2. Go with a "Modern Spare" ($300 tire / $400 with jack) which works and goes in the well but needs a spacer to fit on various wheels. I believe the diameter works with the overseas LSD as well. Link: https://modernspare.com/search-page/?make=13&model=32&syear=332&cfm=Ford&cfmo=Mustang&cfy=2019
  3. Cobble together a spare setup on eBay or the like, using various wheels and tires. Prices range from ~$150 up.

Being in Australia, shipping costs may kill you on the first two options.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's given me a good amount of info to look into. This forum is awesome - you guys really rock! :)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
a rear wheel will not fit in the spare wheel well due to its slightly greater diameter.
I didn't think of that before. With the already very limited cargo space even for 2 and packing light, there's no freaking way there would be enough space for a rear wheel in case of a flat, since it'd basically eat the entire trunk. I'm probably just going to stick with the OEM compressor/goop, PLUS my trusty Stop'nGo flat repair kit, which is my preferred way to fix a flat. No sense in carrying a spare if you have nowhere to put a rear flat tire during a trip. My car would be packed to the gills already, since it doesn't take much to fill it up :). Glad I saw this before buying one. Thanks.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think of that before. With the already very limited cargo space even for 2 and packing light, there's no freaking way there would be enough space for a rear wheel in case of a flat, since it'd basically eat the entire trunk. I'm probably just going to stick with the OEM compressor/goop, PLUS my trusty Stop'nGo flat repair kit, which is my preferred way to fix a flat. No sense in carrying a spare if you have nowhere to put a rear flat tire during a trip. My car would be packed to the gills already, since it doesn't take much to fill it up :). Glad I saw this before buying one. Thanks.
I'm leaning towards getting a special space saver that can go on any corner. That way it would definitely be sufficient to get you to the next garage to have your tyre fixed. I'm hearing a lot of people not liking the special goo kit.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I'm hearing a lot of people not liking the special goo kit.
Two problems with the goo.
  1. Even if it works, there's a chance it will foul your tire pressure sensor, even with extra effort for cleaning.
  2. It doesn't work at all with a sidewall cut. FWIW, two of the last three flat tires in my family had non-sealable / non-repairable sidewall damage. In fact, thinking back, the number may be as high as five of seven (some of the potholes around here are nasty).

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Another vote for an actual tyre then. Sounds like that's the way to go for me. Don't want to have to rely on getting a puncture that only puts a screw hole in your tyre, vs slicing the side wall.
Sponsored