Sound Tube

MustangScooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Manual, Lightning Blue
I already have an exhaust on mine Art, so the sound tube is now redundant...but I agree with you that on a car with the stock exhaust, you would lose some of the cabin noise...
Can confirm exhaust and all it's glory, sound is amazing lol
Sponsored

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a sound tube exactly?

FPV GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY GT
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a sound tube exactly?
Never fear, its not ignorance.

The sound tube basically is a plastic heap of mumbo jumbo that is supposed to enhance the driving pleasure by allow engine/induction sound into the cabin.........
One thing for sure it looks plain ugly and clutters up the engine bay.

Here is the link about deleting it.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14620

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
Ok, I bought the sound tube delete kit, and last night had a look at how to un-install the sound tube. Watched a whole lot of videos, thought I had it sorted, went downstairs and of course our RHD engine bay is completely different.

I cant see how I can possibly get at the firewall end to remove it, let alone insert the plug into the firewall hole.

Anyone who has done this in Oz want to give me some helpful advice?

The best idea I have so far is to remove it from the intake (and insert plug) and detach the tub at roughly the halfway mark (where it is separately attached to the car body and seems to have a joint in the sound tube which I will separate). I will then plug the hole in the end of the remaining half but leave it in place??

Sponsored

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
Ok, I bought the sound tube delete kit, and last night had a look at how to un-install the sound tube. Watched a whole lot of videos, thought I had it sorted, went downstairs and of course our RHD engine bay is completely different.

I cant see how I can possibly get at the firewall end to remove it, let alone insert the plug into the firewall hole.

The best idea I have so far is to remove it from the intake (and insert plug) and detach the tub at roughly the halfway mark (where it is separately attached to the car body and seems to have a joint in the sound tube which I will separate). I will then plug the hole in the end of the remaining half but leave it in place??
That's what I've done - no issues so far

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think deleting it made a difference to the sound inside the car?

fordwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon XR6 Turbo with Mustang GT on order

There is a chap on YouTube from the UK called big500 which has a great video on removal for the RHD cars, vid titled "Mustang GT Sound Tube Removal"

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
One of the first mods I did was a 3" JBA axle back exhaust. Driving it home on a freeway after that I was thinking OMG BIG mistake it was just constantly drumming away inside the cabin and just way too loud.

On arrival home I ripped off the sound tube from the intake tube, stuck a black rubber stool leg cap (25 or 27mm from memory) and fastened it down with a steel hose clamp. I then blocked off the tube opening on the sound tube itself. Oh merciful heavens what a huge improvement.

Got it back on the highway and all interior drumminess completely gone, just the glorious and very loud V8 growl out back, mind you, you can still hear it in the car, and it sounds great. But with the sound tube attached and the JBA exhaust it was a conversation killer inside the cabin, there was just no respite. Now I just wind up the windows and it is a clear, clean and beautiful sound that still allows me to carry on a conversation while driving.

The following week I fitted the Steeda CAI and it came with a sound tube delete kit. I couldn't believe how big, ugly and useless the sound tube was. It was like removing a giant cancer from the engine bay. It was thrown in the bin never to be seen or heard of again!

In summary the combo of stock muffler and sound tube is fine. But fit an after market muffler and the sound tube becomes a monumental pain in the ears.

Cheers,
Phil

MM Pony GT

MM Pony GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maks
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I've initially did just that. Disconnect the sound tube from intake and remove half of it, up to where it connects to true bodywork. Couldn't get to the bolt to disconnect from the firewall.
Got it removed proper when did headers.

Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the first mods I did was a 3" JBA axle back exhaust. Driving it home on a freeway after that I was thinking OMG BIG mistake it was just constantly drumming away inside the cabin and just way too loud.

Phil
That's a little bit how I felt.

Got the Borla S Type fitted, and I have a convertible. My first thought was, that is bloody fantastic, my second was it is also occasionally a bit loud in cabin -particularly at low rpm's. Not an issue for me, however, my wife is less convinced!

Loud might be the wrong word, but rather occasionally a bit drummy.

I will half remove the sound tube tonight to see if it makes a difference, if so I will embark on the bigger task of full removal.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
It will make a difference and both your wife and then as a result you will be happy with it. The removal of it from the air intake and blocking it off with a rubber cap is very easy (5 mins). Bunnings sell the stool leg caps, 27mm I think.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a chap on YouTube from the UK called big500 which has a great video on removal for the RHD cars, vid titled "Mustang GT Sound Tube Removal"
Thanks, just watched the video. Looks like the RHD has far more room from underneath, and far less room from above, than the LHD engine bay.

RTVgav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gav
Vehicle(s)
2017 Harrop Equipped Mustang
I had to remove mine when installing the Harrop SC (well my mechanic did).

The supplied plug didn't quite seal up 100% on the firewall so he cut out some silver insulation film which made for complete isolation from the engine bay.

With the standard exhaust I now get a more subdued V8 sound with a lovely (but not over the top) supercharger whine as revs increase. It really now is a "symphony" of sound for the soul :-)

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
This..............

Thanks, just watched the video. Looks like the RHD has far more room from underneath, and far less room from above, than the LHD engine bay.
Jack the car and remove it from underneath....it is near impossible to do from above on the rhd's. It is a reasonably quick process from underneath.
Sponsored