Sponsored

Sound tube - what exactly am I supposed to hear?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So then what does the sound tube do?
Intake noise. Like the old days with a open air cleaner & a 4 barrel carb you hear that sucking noise.
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Only way I can think of would involve the pebbles finding their way back through the PCV system. The PCV tube generally slopes downhill going from the air cleaner housing of a carbureted V8 to the valve cover, and any pebble small enough to fit in the tube would only have to bounce just right to get into the tube and wait for the PCV valve to be open far enough once it got to the other end.

Norm
It was 40 years ago or so but yeah it was maybe 1 or 2 tiny pebbles that were just sitting in there but would rattle when the truck was running. I'm not making this up and I'm pretty sure the PCV hose went to that valve cover from the breather.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I thought about the PVC, but still can not see pebbles, a pebble or two .. oh wait ... 2 would be pebbles ....

just jokeing

Greg
I think it was like Norm said but no I'm not making this up.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
To me, it sounded like a fan on all high blowing all the time, "white noise", if you will. after removing it I could hear WTF was going on with the car.

IMHO all it did was wash out everything going on outside the car by masking it with a wall of sound.

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.
It supposedly amplifies intake noise (and by association, engine/exhaust) inside the cabin. I ordered one of those irrigation valves that BJstang installed so I can try shutting it off and on to see, or hear, rather, what exactly the sound difference is.
I put the valve in too, but I really can't tell the difference. It's really only going to let much intake sound in at WOT or close to it, but I NEVER do that. :cool:

Sponsored

Mustang702000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.o , 2002 V6 convert
Greetings! I removed this sillyast thing yesterday. When I took car for a drive I noticed immediately the damn droning was gone. Hallelujah!
Interesting thread!
Dave

treddekopp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Intake sounds are almost as beautiful as exhaust sounds. I like it!
I like it as well.
Back in the old days, you could flip the air cleaner lid upside down and hear the carburetor barrels opening up the secondaries. It’sa beautiful sound.

I prefer to hear the growl of the motor and wish i could make my sound tube louder.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
You will hear: less engine noise all the time (will reduce peak cabin noise) and you'll hear a cleaner sound from your exhaust. The mixing of the two can create a drone-ish sound inside the car.
This! The sound tube has a diaphragm in it that converts the pulsing pressure from the engine intake into sound that's piped into the cabin. Back in the 70's we used to install the top of those dinner-plate sized air filter housings upside down to hear the intake noise. Or, kinda like clipping playing cards to your bicycle frame so that the wheel spokes make an engine sound. It blows me away that a high-salary Ford engineer actually designed such a thing. I like the noise to be outside if the car so that I can actually enjoy that B&O sound system inside. It truly sounds better in the car without the tube. And as a bonus you'll have better access to the oil dipstick. ;)
Sponsored