Sound Symposer on EB

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The sound symposer on my Focus ST was a box mounted to the intake manifold with a diaphragm in it that would vibrate at a frequency that varied with rpm and load. A hose was run from it through a valve that the ecu controlled the opening of it then the hose continued to the firewall resulting in engine noise being piped into the car.

I don't see this arrangement on my EB Mustang but I hear it mentioned that the car has one. I also hear that the noise is piped through the speakers which would imply that there is a microphone in the engine compartment.

Can anyone confirm if the EB Mustang has a sound symposer. It's not mentioned in the sales brochure like it was for the ST. If it does have an electronic system where is the mic?
Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
The sound symposer on my Focus ST was a box mounted to the intake manifold with a diaphragm in it that would vibrate at a frequency that varied with rpm and load. A hose was run from it through a valve that the ecu controlled the opening of it then the hose continued to the firewall resulting in engine noise being piped into the car.

I don't see this arrangement on my EB Mustang but I hear it mentioned that the car has one. I also hear that the noise is piped through the speakers which would imply that there is a microphone in the engine compartment.

Can anyone confirm if the EB Mustang has a sound symposer. It's not mentioned in the sales brochure like it was for the ST. If it does have an electronic system where is the mic?
well when someone posts the correct way to remove it from the EB stang, I will be killing mine with FIRE :eek:

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
there's a microphone above the rear seats. You can pull down the roof where it connects with the rear glass to get to it and disconnect it. That will kill most of it(especially if you have a sub...I started getting a sound that could only be described as "moaning" until I disabled it once I installed my sub), but I've still noticed a fair amount of artificial purr from the door speakers when I'm getting above 3.5K RPM. My aftermarket sound system doesn't help...makes the car sound like a clip from Forza/Gran Turismo haha. Only way to 100% kill it (that I am currently aware of) is to bypass the factory amp altogether...which is my next step.

OP
OP
dgc333

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Why would the microphone be above the rear seats? If they are trying to pump in engine noise I would think it would be in the engine compartment or near the exhaust.

Hopefully SCT will build in the ability to turn it off in their tuners like they did with the ST.

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
Why would the microphone be above the rear seats? If they are trying to pump in engine noise I would think it would be in the engine compartment or near the exhaust.

Hopefully SCT will build in the ability to turn it off in their tuners like they did with the ST.
Good question. Too bad Ford engineers don't hang around on these forums :lol:

Just letting you know that was my experience with the rear mic. and other people have had the same. I believe EcoSnake was the first person to post about this on his build forum.

My understanding of the sound symposer is not so much to pipe in engine noise(which, if i'm not mistaken, is what a V6 mustang does), but rather to do active-noise-cancellation on the frequencies heard inside the cabin to reduce harmonic frequencies that tend to make a 4-cylinder sound "bad" to the average consumer. In that case, it makes sense to have a microphone in cabin. Just my thoughts...

Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM

agreed
some tuning device hopefully will have this option
I don't want to pull headliners and remove subs to get rid of the symposer

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
agreed
some tuning device hopefully will have this option
I don't want to pull headliners and remove subs to get rid of the symposer
It's just held up by 2 magnets and 1 rivet...takes all of 30 seconds to get off and like 10 seconds to put back in :) It'll take you more time to unplug that wiring harness cuz that thing is a royal PITA.

...who said anything about removing subs? I LOVE MAH BASS :love:

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
It's just held up by 2 magnets and 1 rivet...takes all of 30 seconds to get off and like 10 seconds to put back in :) It'll take you more time to unplug that wiring harness cuz that thing is a royal PITA.

...who said anything about removing subs? I LOVE MAH BASS :love:
whew, yeah I skimmed over your post:headbonk:

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i

I owned a Focus ST also. The ecoboost mustang does not have a sound tube off of the intake like the ST does. I actually liked the sound of my ST better than my ecoboost mustang.

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
The engine noise through the speakers doesn't come from a mic in the engine bay. I thought I read it's from a chip embedded in the actual head units. It's mostly just bass added in the 2k-4k rpm range to make the engine noise seem deeper. The rear mic is just to help regulate the amount of bass. Unplugging the rear mic usually shuts it up.

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
(especially if you have a sub...I started getting a sound that could only be described as "moaning" until I disabled it once I installed my sub),
Would this "moaning" occur around 2k rpm closed throttle? I am hearing something I'd also call moaning under this condition.

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
Looks like there's a few ex-FoST owners here. I'm one of them. From what I've read, it's a combo of a pre-recorded sound that is RPM dependent, and noise cancellation ( probably what the interior mic is for ).

Anyway, I did a comparison video of the stock sound inside the cabin vs. disabling the sound symposer by pulling fuse #27.

Here's the post with the video:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10579

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
Would this "moaning" occur around 2k rpm closed throttle? I am hearing something I'd also call moaning under this condition.
Yes, it was actually most noticeable in the low RPM range, like when I was slowly rolling through parking lots.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm writing ford to see if a dealer programming change is possible to make the symposer sound less like a V8 grumble and more like a 1000+hp supra

in for petition fellas....

lol
1. Juben
Sponsored