Sponsored

Someone slashed my tire

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Looks like I won't be buying Goodyear either. 45*f & above seems a bit ridiculous, I live in Lousiana & it gets below 45*f now & then...it was 34*f this morning when I drove to work. So, you'll basically have to live in Southern Florida or Mexico to drive on a summer tire. I'm sure there's a summer tire out there doesn't have that limitation.
Summer tire? Not really. That's the job of an All-Season tire. Summer tread is specifically for warm weather. That's why people pick up an extra set of rims and tires to handle winter duty.
Sponsored

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
Well then, if that's your plan... don't buy Goodyears:

Or Michelin Pilot Super Sports:

Or any other high performance tire that is Summer rated if you live in the arctic.
Does this happen by leaving the car out in the cold overnight, or by driving it in the cold?

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Does this happen by leaving the car out in the cold overnight, or by driving it in the cold?
The consensus on the Corvette forums when I got my C7 was that Michelin and Goodyear said it's okay to have them in temps in the 20's, but not to drive them under 30F.

If your garage dips into the low 20's or below Michelin recommended not storing Max-Perf Summer tires in that garage.

This was a concern for me since I got my C7 in March and on the train ride from Bowling Green it went though and sat overnight in locations like Montana where it was way colder. I inspected my tires before delivery and they were fine though. The official TSB claimed that even moving a car in a cold garage a few feet could cause cracking.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Looks like I won't be buying Goodyear either. 45*f & above seems a bit ridiculous, I live in Lousiana & it gets below 45*f now & then...it was 34*f this morning when I drove to work. So, you'll basically have to live in Southern Florida or Mexico to drive on a summer tire. I'm sure there's a summer tire out there doesn't have that limitation.
I drive mine in 32 degree temps on the worst days of the year here and have never had an issue other than obviously the tires are hard and slippery compared to when they are up to temp.

The real danger of this is in the 20's. Some people think they can run a summer tire in the snow and they get what they get.

Anyway, I'm surprised that so many people buying performance cars on many forums are surprised by this in the last 1.5 years. This isn't anything new and has been happening for years. My 2011 Grand Sport with the Goodyear Supercar G2 tires would have done it as show in one of the pics I included.

Gotta have the right tire for your climate. If that means all-seasons for 80% of the year, so be it. Here in California all I have to worry about is if the summer tire will still move water if it rains a little.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
There is a picture there for Michelin PSS as well. Likely any summer only tire will do this. Will it happen a 45f, no (I have driving plenty at 45F on PSS's). But summer tire compound is not meant for freezing temperatures.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I guess it's All Seasons for me!!
I doubt you have to worry about summer tires failing on you in Louisiana. Part of the 45 F 'warning' is that summer tires become harder at about thtat temp and have less traction.

32F is about 1C. I'd be shocked if summer tires cracked at 1C. Heck it gets that cold here on some spring and fall mornings - I never had an issue with my PSS's.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
I doubt you have to worry about summer tires failing on you in Louisiana. Part of the 45 F 'warning' is that summer tires become harder at about thtat temp and have less traction.

32F is about 1C. I'd be shocked if summer tires cracked at 1C. Heck it gets that cold here on some spring and fall mornings - I never had an issue with my PSS's.
Yeah, I'll see how it goes. I plan on going to a wider tire after the stock ones wear out...not even sure what brand I'll go with when the time comes.

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
Not sure why anyone would purchase the OE Pirelli's again anyway when you can buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. They will perform better and last about twice as long for us guys that have winter temps. Check them out and compare them at Tire Rack. Pretty good info there. :thumbsup:

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
I've had the Conti DWS and they are a great all season tire. However, if you decide to really, really get on them...like on the autocross course and brutally heat cycle them over about 3 days.....Not the tire's fault...I really abused them. And it held up for two days until I could get it replaced.
2012-08-20_08-41-05_106.jpg

Sponsored

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
They are better than the OE Pirelli A/S......but, keep doing research.

On the Owner's Survey...the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 came in....6th with over 1.1 million miles driven.

Coming in 1st....Continental Extreme Contact DWS..with over 43 million miles driven.

Compared against each other...the Mich. were the worst in snow/ice....1st place....Conti. Extreme Contact DWS.

Tire Rack testing:

On Dry/Wet traction...comparing the two....Contis were so close in virtually every category...the Mich. didn't blow them away at all.

Price comparison: 4 Mich. $1,088; 4 Conti. DWS.....$792.

Tread wear rating. Mich. 500....Conti. 400

#'s are close enough fo rme and with the price difference...CONTI's...all the way.
Hahaha... You keep doing your research... they don't make a 255/40ZR19 for the front of the Performance Pack. I was referring to the Manufactures that make OE sizes. Continental is big overseas and make a good tire... however it will never beat the Michelin in the real world. You can look all over the net and you will find rave reviews on the MPSAS3's versus all tires. Just remember in tires... you get what you pay for. Trust me! I like some of the tires Continental has to offer in the a/s segment for passenger cars but will never have them on my Mustang. Top Speed has some great videos on the MPSAS3's you should take a look. :thumbsup:

5LiterBeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 ZCP M3
Continental Extreme Contact DWS..
These were my choice on my M3 after the Michelin PSS were done. I have to say they have not given me any issues, wet/dry, hot/cold. Granted I'm not beating the piss out of them all the time, but a very good tire with a decent price compared to the PSS.
Sponsored