Some questions about MyColor

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Hey all, I hope you can answer a few questions I have about the MyColor feature. I do not have a mustang yet but I am shopping and would like to know a few things. I have watched a couple videos but they don’t always seem to tell the whole story.

1. What are all the locations that ambient light emit from? Like, where are the actual LEDs located? I’ve only seen mention of footwells, nothing from overhead? No door pockets or door handle pulls, etc? Console storage area?

2. I understand that there are certain physical buttons in the car that do not change color (windows, climate, etc) - has this changed or still true? I assume it’s still true but looking for confirmation.

3. This one is a little more technical. In regard to the ambient light LEDs, like those in the footwell, can more be added and controlled along with the existing ones? I assume they have a 3 pin connector? Are they wired in parallel on something like a MyColor bus? Do they need to be addressed by the system in some way or are they just dumb LEDs?

4. Anything else I should know?

I am a master tech / shop foreman for a BMW dealer so I am quite familiar with how the ambient lighting works on BMWs (and MINIs for that matter) and was just wondering what I might be in for and options to modify / add to it should I feel the need to.

Thanks!
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My color LEDs are located under the dash to illuminate the footwells, the center console cup holders, the door handle pulls, and the analog gauges (speedo and tach) and if you have a PP1 or PP2 the extra dash gauges between the AC vents. The digital gauge cluster does not have LEDs but the colors on the screen change and match that of the LEDs as listed above.
The overhead lights and storage areas are not part of the mycolor nor are the illuminated backlit buttons or controls on the rest of the car, they remain an ice-blue color at all times.
There is a thread on this forum discussing adding more LEDs. I believe it was successful. You will have to search for that thread for details.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Just as an example, I installed the Diode Dynamics green kit for my map lights, and then changed the Mycolor to green, whole inside car is green at night, love it.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
2. None of the buttons in the car - door switches, dash, audio and climate control panels, etc. change with the ambient light setting. They are always ice blue regardless of what colour you choose for the ambient light.
Sponsored